United States
Joined 4448 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 49 of 251
20 January 2013 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

do you mean legal&free, btw? i'm afraid you'd have to look for legal&paid (or illegal&free).

No, I'm not that naive...strangely enough, they're streaming this stuff over the internet, and if someone in the USA
wants to give them money to watch it, they say no, you're not allowed to do that, won't take your money...but you
can pay to watch it in English!

"Volgens onze systemen bevindt u zich buiten Nederland. Door licentie restricties is het niet mogelijk om buiten
Nederland Eredivisie live via internet te kijken. Voor het kijken van Eredivisie Live via internet buiten Nederland
verwijzen wij u door naar de website http://www.eredivisie.livesport.tv "
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 50 of 251
20 January 2013 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
Maybe you can use a proxy server? or just good old rojadirecta...

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4448 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 51 of 251
20 January 2013 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

I can't help thinking of his disappointment with Esperanto... why hasn't anyone taken his words as guide to
action??? ("Esperanto is dead because there are no Esperanto legends")

So was this statement prescriptive or descriptive? I thought this was simply him thinking they had failed to catch
on, not that they couldn't be valuable if people did in fact use them...but that they were in fact dead because
supposedly nobody used them, and now that they were indeed dead, there was nothing of value left after the fact.
Maybe I'm splitting hairs here?

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4425 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 52 of 251
20 January 2013 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
Finished NFWE active lesson 82 today. Earlier this week I passed a significant milestone for me--lesson 78. This was the lesson that almost killed my attempt at completing Assimil. I dropped out of Assimil for a month after being so frustrated with this lesson and had to restart the course from the beginning. So why was it so hard?...

But possibly the biggest obstacle for me was the heavy use of "en" and strings of short words (Je la lui ai…) in this lesson. These have consistently been the hardest parts of French for me to pick up. The whole "Qu'est-ce que c'est" and "il y a" vocabulary took me hours of constant repetition to assimilate, and at the time there wasn't much else going on in the lessons.

That was what I found difficult about it, too. Those clusters of three or four single-syllable words spoken quickly and in an order that's really alien to English.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4448 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 53 of 251
20 January 2013 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
Yes, that is interesting. I actually was thinking about Danish at one point during my never-ending
quest to understand the French "en." Doesn't "er" sometimes perform a similar function?

For those of you keeping score at home, this actually may have been Dutch that I was thinking about. Feel free to
chime in about Danish if you like, though. I just found this example in LoTR that brought it back to mind:

"'Ik ben er zeker van dat Bilbo niet meer heeft geweten dan hij jou heeft verteld,' zei Gandalf."

The "er" in this sentence vaguely reminds me of some of the interesting uses of "en" in French. Somehow this never
gave me much trouble in Dutch, even though it drove me nuts in French.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 54 of 251
20 January 2013 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
Serpent wrote:

I can't help thinking of his disappointment with Esperanto... why hasn't anyone taken his words as guide to
action??? ("Esperanto is dead because there are no Esperanto legends")

So was this statement prescriptive or descriptive? I thought this was simply him thinking they had failed to catch
on, not that they couldn't be valuable if people did in fact use them...but that they were in fact dead because
supposedly nobody used them, and now that they were indeed dead, there was nothing of value left after the fact.
Maybe I'm splitting hairs here?
Well, initially he was excited about Esperanto, hoping there would be some legends/epic literature created. Then he concluded it was dead, not because it wasn't used (it already was!), but because it was used mostly for mundane things.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4448 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 55 of 251
21 January 2013 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
Aujourd'hui, je vais scriver un peu en mes langues que je m'enseignes, aussi bon ou aussi mal qu'ils soient. Je vous
en pris, tous, de me pardonner si mon log n'est pas entièrement en Anglais, mais au moins quand il s'agit du
Français, je pense qu'il va bien, parce que les étudiants du Français qui liront mon log sont assez nombreuse.
Comme toujours, je vais vous remercier pour tous vos corrections de mes fautes.

(APCF notice: No dictionaries or other reference materials were harmed in the making of this blog post.)

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4448 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 56 of 251
21 January 2013 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
Wie ich in die gleich vorherige Blogpost geschrieben habe, werde ich jetzt versuchen ein paar Wörter zu schreiben
in meinen verschiedenen Sprachen die ich im Moment studiere. Heute, wenigstens, werde ich versuchen dies zu
tun, ohne irgendwelche Referenzmaterialen anzugreifen, weil ich sehen möchte wieviel von meiner
Sprachkenntnissen ich gleich Verfügbar habe. Ich bin auch der Meinung, dass ich diese Blogposts auch nicht
überarbeiten soll, eine kurze Durchlesung davon ausgerechnet, um sehr große Fehler, die es schwer machen dies
alles zu verstehen, wegzuräumen.

This discussion contains 251 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version