Triglot
United States
Joined 4474 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 249 of 251
05 March 2015 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
I've been listening to some French music recently, including watching music videos on YouTube. In particular, I've
become obsessed with this video, Maître Gims --
Zombie. Besides the obvious pathos, my thought when I first saw this was "[expletive], this is some dark
[expletive]." I won't say any more for the benefit of anyone who hasn't seen this before, except to note that yes,
this video is CLEARLY a metaphor.
1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4474 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 250 of 251
24 March 2015 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
Is anyone else getting email updates anymore? I haven't gotten a single one since the technical problems wiped out
a week of posts. It's making it very hard to interact with the forum anymore.

In any event, I've finally had some meaningful Hebrew action. Spurred on by St. Patrick's Day, I watched some
youtube videos in Irish (No Béarla-a series about the status of Irish as a living language you can use in real life in
Ireland), which led me to want to learn more Hebrew. The attitude about Irish as a "secondary" language to English,
learned universally but imperfectly, but which people are nevertheless proud of as a part of the national identity,
resonated with the status of Hebrew in the 21st century Jewish diaspora for me.

I spent some time reading the Hebrew version of Dr. Seuss' "The Cat in the Hat" to my daughter, who enjoyed it a
great deal, especially when she came across her favorite words (yes, she has favorite words, I think). I listened to a
news podcast in Hebrew, read some more Harry Potter in Hebrew, and did a few Assimil lessons, as well. I think I
should give Assimil a chance. With the receptive knowledge I have already, I bet that simply giving Assimil a chance
would get me to a basic conversational level after a couple of months.
2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4474 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 251 of 251
20 April 2015 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
Assimil L'Hebreu continues to go well. Around lesson 30 it finally got up to speed where I'm having to learn some
words each lesson. Grammar is still very much a basic review. Doing some self-talk I've surprised myself in how
many ideas I can express actively in Hebrew, if I allow for some weird circumlocutions.

A nice bonus is that I get a little bit of French maintenance for free along with the Hebrew.

I haven't signed up yet, but I am expecting to make it to the Polyglot Conference in NYC this fall!

Edited by geoffw on 20 April 2015 at 12:40am

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 251 messages over 32 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version