Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6405 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 9 of 20
16 January 2013 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
I'm a big lang-8 fan, but it takes me hours to write much of anything, so it's hard for me to manage more than one or two entries per week. I'm hoping to at least do that much this year though and not give up like last year. It's a lot of work, but the learning is tremendous. And that's very important if you're studying on your own without any teacher to help you.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jaseur
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5864 days ago

50 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 10 of 20
22 January 2013 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
Hi Brun and everyone (anyone?) else!
こんにちは、 ブルンと (もしほかにもいたら) 皆さん!

Lang 8 is great. I have used it a little and plan to use it again when I am not so
busy...
LANG8は すごいですね。 僕も少し使いました。 これからも 忙しくなければ、 使おうと思っています。

Not too much to add at the moment. Anki is going well enough. I have finished all the
cards for the Tae Kim deck and have started a new deck based on the Dictionaries of
Japanese Grammar (while continuing with TK).

今のところは あまり投稿する 内容はありません。 Ankiは 問題なく 使えています。 TAEKIMのカードは 全
部終わって、 日本語文法辞典のカードを 始めました (TKを続けながら)。

Tae Kim deck:
https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/4249761762
Dictionaries of Japanese Grammar deck:
https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/2032035930

Alright, till next time.

それでは、 また次の機会に。

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4450 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 11 of 20
04 February 2013 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
I'm confused. You are translating 4000-5000 words from Japanese into English on some days and you're being paid to do this :-) Surely all of that counts as studying really, or is there something about patents that invalidates my assumptions?

I have seen quite a few English patents and, if anything, being able to discern the meaning can be quite tricky and tedious. The whole "a plurality of ..." style of writing can grind you down after a while, but I expect that you'd need a good-to-excellent knowledge of English to be able to get much out of one. Is that not also true of Japanese patents?

Jaseur
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5864 days ago

50 posts - 51 votes 

Message 12 of 20
05 February 2013 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
I'm confused. You are translating 4000-5000 words from Japanese
into English on some days and you're being paid to do this :-) Surely all of that
counts as studying really, or is there something about patents that invalidates my
assumptions?

Hi dampingwire!

Well... there is very little carry over from patents to regular Japanese. I am at the
point now where I am good with patents relating to subjects (say, printers) I am
familiar with and it's sometimes a real shock when I step outside my comfort zone and
realise how little I actually know.

dampingwire wrote:
I have seen quite a few English patents and, if anything, being
able to discern the meaning can be quite tricky and tedious. The whole "a plurality of
..." style of writing can grind you down after a while, but I expect that you'd need a
good-to-excellent knowledge of English to be able to get much out of one. Is that not
also true of Japanese patents?

Patents are horrendous in any language but once you get used to them (admittedly, this
may take years :-)) they aren't that bad. I feel like a robot doing data entry most
days. The translations have to be quite literal so I think in that sense it's easier
than translating a novel or suchlike. The bad thing is that grinding through patents
on a daily basis doesn't leave me with much time or inclination to study Japanese which
would be more useful in every day life.

In other news, I am keeping up with my Anki decks but I know I need to push myself a
bit harder.

Jaseur
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5864 days ago

50 posts - 51 votes 

Message 13 of 20
06 March 2013 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
Hi all, been busy with translation recently so not much study other than Anki.

However, I will visit Nagoya for a week from tomorrow which should be fun! I plan to do
a lot of shopping, eating, and training with my old jiu-jitsu club.

Jaseur
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5864 days ago

50 posts - 51 votes 

Message 14 of 20
26 March 2013 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
Well, Japan was awesome.

I ate, shopped, and trained a lot.

My Japanese held up quite well talking to my BJJ training partners. I understood what
was going on and didn't have any problems saying what I wanted to say. I really credit
the little work I have been doing with Anki for helping me here. Hilariously, one guy
was quite rude about my Japanese, describing it as "へたくそ" (!) despite the fact our
entire conversation was in Japanese!

I got a couple of new books/CDs to help study vocabulary.

I have been persevering with Anki before bed and, while I didn't do any translation in
Japan, I have been busy cranking out words for a deadline this week.

OK, back to the grind.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6405 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 15 of 20
30 March 2013 at 7:45am | IP Logged 
There is one person here who likes to say that I speak "broken Norwegian." It always makes me feel so self-conscious and awkward, so it's good that you are able to laugh off that kind of thing.

Sterogyl
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4152 days ago

152 posts - 263 votes 
Studies: German*, French, EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese, Norwegian

Message 16 of 20
30 March 2013 at 9:03am | IP Logged 
When a Japanese says your Japanese is bad you've actually reached a quite respectable level. When your Japanese is still really low all they say is 日本語はとてもお上手ですね. :)

私も日本語を勉強しましたが、下手です。い つも「日独翻訳者になりたいなぁ」と思いま した。でも、日本語を母国語に翻訳するのは 私にはできないから、駄目です。難しすぎま す・・・。

どうやって日英翻訳者になりましたか。偶然 でしたか。それとも翻訳者になるための勉強 をしましたか。

日本語を話すことも大変です。しかし、あき らめないで頑張ったらいつか上手く話せるよ うになります。頑張ってください。

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version