United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4452 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 1 of 329
18 December 2012 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
I've decided to make a new log for my TAC 2013. A little by way of introduction:

I'm studying French. I've been studying it off and on for about a year, with a number of significant breaks where I did nothing but watch subtitled movies and listen to some radio shows. But since I got Assimil's New French With Ease a few months ago, I've generally been more consistent in my studies and just did Lesson 70 this morning.

Hmm, what else? I'm 28 years old and before French I had never studied a living language with any seriousness (but I did have a couple years of Classical Greek in college). Also, I'll be going to France for about a week in August.

Here is a list of my fellow team members' logs, quoted from the Team PAX thread. I wish all of them, and all the TACers and other learners here at HTLAL, the best of luck. :-)

Quote:
TAC 2013 2nd Romance Team (PaX) members and logs:

Darustet - (French)
fezmond - Beginning French (French)
Quique - French, 22 years later (French)
Anya - Anya’s TAC2013 (French, Spanish, Italian)
Kanewai - (French, Spanish, Ancient Greek)
Kerrie - TAC 2013 Kerrie Team Divan Prieteni Pax (Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, Croatian)
LittleBoy - (French, Spanish)
Margh19 - My TAC 2013 (French, Spanish)
sillygoose1 - My Language Journey (French, Italian, Spanish)
Adrean - (French, Italian)
geoffw - Geoffw’s TAC2013 log (French, Italian)
Songlines - The Peaceful Schnitzel (French, Italian)
GRagazzo - Concentrazione (Italian, Spanish)
Flarioca - TAC/2012-German T. + Assimil Exp.: cat (Catalan, Italian)

And then Solfrid Cristin is an associate member.

Even though he has not actually joined, I'll also mention
emk - French: Taking it to the next level

Recordings of me speaking native sentences: Day 1 | Day 2 | Day 3 | Day 4 | Day 5 | Day 6 | Day 7 | Day 8 | Day 9 | Day 10 | Day 11 | Day 18
Other recordings I have made: Merci | English L / French L | très rare | Speaking (mostly) freely

Edited by tastyonions on 01 November 2013 at 6:29pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4452 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 2 of 329
18 December 2012 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
So, I bought a new webcam today, but it still doesn't record video that well, which means the issue is probably my seven year old computer rather than my camera. But it does get decent audio recordings, certainly better than my old one, so that should be useful, anyway.

I've started a new little project of sorts today, of finding unscripted native speech with transcripts and trying to get to a point where I understand it effortlessly. My idea is to start out doing just one sentence a day, then next week add another sentence per day, then continue increasing the workload each week as long as I can manage it. So, here we go:

Native Sentence 0001: "Quand j’avais vingt ans, un entretien, on m’a posé la question, euh, de quelle était la, en fait, la profession de mes parents."

Taken from this very nice site.

Oh, by the way, I'm also going to try and imitate all the sentences I use. So you can hear the first sample of my terrible French accent here: Audio

Critiques and pointers are very welcome. :-D

Edited by tastyonions on 19 December 2012 at 2:24pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5319 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 329
18 December 2012 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
I have neither the ear nor the sound-quality for a detailed
critique, but that is not a terrible French accent.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4452 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 4 of 329
18 December 2012 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
Haha, thanks. :-P

I realized after I recorded that I left out the "de" before "quelle." I think I may have done that because it's very quick and subtle in the original video, so my brain may have been skipping over it.

[Edit: added a French audio thanks.]

Edited by tastyonions on 18 December 2012 at 9:50pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4452 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 5 of 329
19 December 2012 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
I forgot to mention in the opening post that I have hardly done any "active" practice until very recently. Nearly all my French knowledge is passive. So one goal of this little recording project is to get over my fear of speaking and being heard. Even if I think I sound bad, I'll keep putting recordings up, because I know that practice is the only way I'll improve. And soon enough I might even work up the courage to speak French *with* someone. :-)

Today I did Assimil lessons 71 (passive) and 22 (active). Lesson 71 was pretty easy, but 22 was definitely the toughest active phase lesson I've done so far. Lesson 71 introduced the futur simple, and I picked up a few new words and expressions from it:

emmener
avant de + infinitif
restaurant industriel
haut / élevé (I hadn't caught on to the distinction before)

Now for Native Sentence 0002, from the same site as yesterday:

"Donc je voulais savoir, j'étais un petit peu surpris, j'avais l'impression de retourner un petit peu à l'école, je voulais savoir comment il fallait appréhender cette question, comment il fallait la prendre, et que répondre."

And my recording.

I'm deliberately doing this with very little preparation so people can hear my pronunciation "raw." I think I read through it twice before recording. It's definitely more hesitant than yesterday's recording, probably because the sentence is longer and I prepared less. I don't like my "o" in "école," and "appréhender" and "comment" sound kind of off. I'm sure there are other things that I haven't spotted, so if anyone has some time to help out, that would be great.

Onward!

Edited by tastyonions on 19 December 2012 at 2:20pm

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5319 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 329
19 December 2012 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
And soon enough I might even work up the courage to speak French *with* someone. :-)

Seriously, your accent is nothing to be ashamed of, especially for somebody still on lesson 22 of Assimil's active wave. You are totally not allowed to use your accent as an excuse for not speaking to people. :-)

I'll leave any detailed critiques to native speakers. But the world is full Alliance française events and Meetups where you can hear much worse accents than that.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4452 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 7 of 329
19 December 2012 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
Merci encore. :-)

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
Joined 4452 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 

Message 8 of 329
20 December 2012 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
Assimil Passive 72 and Active 23 this morning. I noticed I was having some difficulty recalling the right prepositions in the active lesson today, so I will definitely work on those in my flashcards. A few new vocab words and expressions in Lesson 73:

homard
truffes
accompagnement
le cadre
un grand restaurant (in the sense of "high class")
où veux-tu en venir (I was able to guess what it meant, but I don't think I had actually seen it before)

And now for Native Sentence 0003: "Alors, première remarque, pour ma part, c'est une question qui sort du cadre strictement professionel." (source)

And my recording. I have to admit I "cheated" a little on this one; the first time around I pronounced "strictement" with an English short "i" (as in "strict") and that was simply unacceptable to me, so I recorded again. :-)

This discussion contains 329 messages over 42 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version