United Kingdom
Joined 4157 days ago

64 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Mandarin, Sign Language, French

Message 65 of 68
03 September 2013 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
Update

I managed to get through my 30 day trial without missing a day for any of my languages. :)

However, after I finished it, I ended up taking a little unplanned time off; I’ve done very little study at all for the last few days. :(

The 30 day trial was a good experience, and it’s taught me to organise my studies better, but the requirement of ‘having’ to study every day was starting to make it feel more like a chore and I was beginning to get a little burnt out towards the end. So, I’ve decided not to repeat this experiment at the moment, although, I probably will do something like it again at some point in the future.

1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4666 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 66 of 68
04 September 2013 at 11:14am | IP Logged 
Congratulations! What a great idea for a challenge! I think off-time is as important as challenging yourself to do more... you certainly deserve a break. It makes no sense to continue when you see studying as an unpleasant chore - much better to wait a few days and return with new excitement.

Also congratulations on your GCSE! So you're also one of those perfectionists who thinks they failed when indeed they have done a very good job... I'm sure that A is fully deserved and you probably have impossible standards. It's a good reality-check when you notice that your examiners don't expect as much as you do by far ;)

Hidden Linguist
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4157 days ago

64 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Mandarin, Sign Language, French

Message 67 of 68
26 December 2013 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
A final update from me for 2013.

I apologise to my teammates for not posting much in this log, but I've been focusing on
other things lately. I actually managed to get into University, which has been taking
up a lot of my time in the last few months.

Language wise it's been an 'interesting' year for me. Lots of ups and downs. Losing
interest in individual languages........only for it to come back a few weeks later with
a vengeance. Feeling like I just want to give up one day........and then not wanting to
put down my books the next. Plus the inevitable bouts of wanderlust that have snuck in
here and there to spice things up along the way.

2013 has been a lot of fun and frustration...and worth every second of both. :)

German

I've found that studying German in classes has been a great benefit for me because, in
those low moments when my interest has waned and I really didn't feel much like
studying it, I had an extra motivation to keep me going.

I've come close to burnout a few times, but seem to finally be learning to spot when I
need to take a step back and give myself some downtime to recover (still a ways to go
before I really have that one sorted though).

Mandarin

My Mandarin is improving (although obviously at a slower pace than German). I haven't
spent anywhere near as much time on Mandarin as I have with German, but it's been a fun
language to work on and I plan to keep it going into 2014.

Wanderlust
(Cantonese, Thai, Spanish, French, Czech, Hindi, Urdu, BSL)

Yep, this is quite a list, I know. I also knew that I'd never be able keep them all
going. I fully expected them to fall away, and that's exactly what has happened. The
only one on this list that I'm still studying (albeit sporadically) is French.

I don't consider my time on any of these languages to be wasted though. They were nice
diversions when I needed to take a break from German/Mandarin but still wanted to work
on a language, and I had a lot of fun with them. ;)

I fully intend to revisit Cantonese at some point in the future (probably when my
Mandarin is a bit more secure).

Plans for next year

Nothing too complicated here...

German will remain my primary focus and I will also keep going with Mandarin and
French.

I can't promise that there'll be no more wanderlust (it seems to be a constant
affliction), but I will try to keep it to a minimum.

I hope everyone had a good year with their languages and all the best to you all for
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4666 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 68 of 68
27 December 2013 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
Good to see an update from you! Congrats on getting into university!

This discussion contains 68 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version