26 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3 4  Next >>
liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6009 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 1 of 26
19 December 2012 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
As 2013 beckons, I have been drawn in to doing the HTLAL TAC (Total Annihilation Challenge) challenge. I’ve never
done one of these before, so I am really looking forward to it. It seems that the gist of the TAC challenge is to study
one (or several) language(s) and log one’s progress in his TAC log. The main difference between the TAC and what I
have done on my own is that with TAC there is an entire “team” to lend support. I’m hoping that this helps me with
my language “flightiness” and keeps me on task for the year.

The language I have chosen for TAC 2013 is Norwegian.
I wanted to learn a Germanic language with a Latin script and English cognates. Georgian, Farsi, Mandarin, Thai and
Arabic were just too difficult with my work schedule and limited time for language study. Plus, I enjoy reading
materials in my target language and he above languages proved too difficult.   

I have always had an interest in Norwegian as a result of several Norwegian friends in Graduate School introducing me
to the Norwegian language and culture. I am excited to be part of “TAC Team Viking”. What a great group. You were
also a big reason for me choosing a Scandinavian language!

My knowledge of Norwegian is essentially zero. I have gone through the first eight lessons of Pimsleur to get the
rhythm and sounds of Norwegian down. My family has been giving me strange looks as I have been strolling around
the house reciting phrases in Norwegian.

“Hva vil du ha å spise?
Jeg vil gjerne ha ett glass øl.
Kan vi drikke noa hos meg?”

Once I finish Pimsleur I plan to either do Teach Yourself Norwegian or Norwegian in Three Months. I also have the
Assimil Le Norvegien Sans Peine course coming in the mail.   I haven’t decided which of those three I’ll use. From that
point on, who knows?? The really cool thing about the Scandinavian languages is their similarity. From the TAC log I
have been able to understand most of what people have written in Swedish and Danish. I know that the spoken
language is a whole other matter but still, being able to read them is pretty cool!

As far as my other languages for 2013:
I don’t have any travel plans outside of the US so I don’t think I will be doing too much with my other languages.

Spanish /Portuguese
/Russian
: I have some Spanish/Portuguese/Russian speaking friends at work so I’ll try to speak with them from time to time to
stay somewhat fresh in these.

Italian
I’m not sure what I’ll do with Italian, but every now and then I read the news in Italian just for fun!

Hungarian Similar to Italian, I probably won't be actively studying any Hungarian in
2013. I do, however, like picking up a Hungarian comic or children's book from time to time to keep it somewhat fresh!

Turkish
: I’ll try to follow along with the TAC Turkish team to keep Turkish in the back of my mind. Time constraints will keep
me from a participant on this team however.

Arabic/Persian /
: Every year I try to learn a little more Arabic and Persian. I’m not making huge progress in either one of these
because they both require quite a bit of time and effort to advance. Nevertheless, I did pick up a copy of Kalaam
Gamiil, a really good Egyptian Arabic course. So I may try to work through this over the year...

Again, I’m really excited to learn some Norwegian this year. There are no Norwegian speakers in my area so I would
love to talk over Skype if any of you are interested!!

(edit: Corrections applied to sentences above.)

Edited by liddytime on 21 December 2012 at 3:12pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4301 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 2 of 26
19 December 2012 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
I'll try to correct:
Hva vil du å spise? --> Hva vil du spise? / Hva vil du ha å spise?
Jeg vil gjerne ett glass øl. --> Jeg vil gjerne ha et glass øl. (ett isn't incorrect, but it sounds like you are determined to not drink more than 1 beer to me -- you are stressing the "one")
Kan vi drikke på hus meg? --> Kan vi drikke hjemme hos meg? (I think that's what you wanted to express, but I'm not sure)

keep on reciting :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6009 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 3 of 26
19 December 2012 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
I'll try to correct:
Hva vil du å spise? --> Hva vil du spise? / Hva vil du ha å spise?
Jeg vil gjerne ett glass øl. --> Jeg vil gjerne ha et glass øl. (ett isn't incorrect, but it sounds like you are determined to not drink more than 1 beer to me
-- you are stressing the "one")
Kan vi drikke på hus meg? --> Kan vi drikke hjemme hos meg? (I think that's what you wanted to express, but I'm not sure)
keep on reciting :)

I forgot my "ha"s! Funny, because in English one could say "I want a beer" or " What do you want to eat?"; one doesn't have to put the "to have " in there
and I think I am unconsciously doing this in Norsk.

I was explaining to Cristina, Pimsleur has this sentence over and over "Do you want to drink something at my place?" (Which is kind of silly!)
Pimsleur says it something like " vil du gjerne drikke nå på hus meg" (unsure about spelling as Pimsleur doesn't teach the written language). Anyhow, I
can't imagine that I would be inviting a bunch of people over to "drink at my place" in Norway. ... ha ha...
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5114 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 26
19 December 2012 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Now it suddenly dawned on me what that last sentence might be:

"Vil du gjerne drikke noe hos meg"?

It is not very elegant Norwegian, and not really something I would ever say, but if I translate it directly into English it would be: "Would you like to drink something at my place?", which fits.

However it has to be hos(at) at not hus(house) because the last word makes no sense in this context.

A pity that Pimsleur does not provide the written texts :-)

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6009 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 

Message 5 of 26
20 December 2012 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Now it suddenly dawned on me what that last sentence might be:

It is not very elegant Norwegian, and not really something I would ever say, but if I translate it directly
into English it would be: "Would you like to drink something at my place?", which fits.

However it has to be hos(at) at not hus(house) because the last word makes no sense in this context.

Ah yes, A major shortcoming of Pimsleur... Often you don't know what you are saying, why you are saying it or
how it is spelled, you are just "parrot-ting" it back. Hos - not hus, got it!

Today the verbs of the day were gjøre and kjøpe as in:

Hva vil du gjøre? and
Hva vil du kjøpe?

... baby steps ... baby steps .... :-)

Edited by liddytime on 20 December 2012 at 1:38am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5114 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 6 of 26
20 December 2012 at 7:56am | IP Logged 
liddytime wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Now it suddenly dawned on me what that last sentence might
be:

It is not very elegant Norwegian, and not really something I would ever say, but if I translate it directly
into English it would be: "Would you like to drink something at my place?", which fits.

Ah yes, A major shortcoming of Pimsleur... Often you don't know what you are saying, why you are saying it
or
how it is spelled, you are just "parrot-ting" it back. Hos - not hus, got it!

Today the verbs of the day were gjøre and kjøpe as in:

Hva vil du gjøre? and
Hva vil du kjøpe?

... baby steps ... baby steps .... :-)

You are doing very well in writing things here, because then you can get the corrections :-). Anyhow, I am
sure you have pronounced the whole thing correctly, it was just a tad difficult to know how it was spelt. Those
two last sentences were perfect though :-)

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5127 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 7 of 26
21 December 2012 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
Just dropped by to say hallo to my fellow ‘Team Viking’ team member and to wish you good luck with language learning in 2013!

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6009 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 

Message 8 of 26
21 December 2012 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:
Just dropped by to say hallo to my fellow ‘Team Viking’ team member and to wish you good luck
with language learning in 2013!

Hei Emme!
Jeg er glad for å se deg her!
Lykke til i 2013 også!
Har det!

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version