Tetraglot
Poland
Joined 6693 days ago

265 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishC1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 1 of 106
23 July 2006 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
I've been wondering recently how far I am from labeling my Spanish as "Basic fluency" in my profile as well as my English "Advanced fluency". It's just my personal assessment and therefore I wouldn't like to exagerate. I'm inclined to believe that modesty is quite better here. On the other hand, should you happen to make a brief list including more criteria, it would be easier to choose the actual level of the languages. Perhaps you can just present your method of matching the language with the right level in the profile.

Thank you in advance for any kind of help :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Malcolm
Triglot
Retired Moderator
Korea, South
Joined 7102 days ago

500 posts - 515 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 2 of 106
23 July 2006 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
I think we all have slightly different ideas of what Basic Fluency means. For me it is the point at which you can function as a competent speaker of the language. I wouldn't claim basic fluency with anything less than 5000 words, though vocabulary alone isn't enough to be "basically fluent". I would say that someone who has finished FSI Spanish/Platiquemos and has memorized a couple thousand extra words is probably at Basic Fluency. I reserve Advanced fluency for speakers who have mastered the language and can pass as a native when writing (e.g. FX and all the Swedish forum members who for some reason can write in English at a native level).

Basic Fluency:

-At least a 5000-word active vocabulary.
-Knowledge of all grammar points (or perhaps 95%) contained in a typical grammar book, such as "The Ultimate Spanish Review and Practice".
-Able to speak without thinking.
-Close to 100% listening comprehension if the speaker has a clear accent and is not using any specialized vocabulary or slang.

Advanced Fluency:

-At least a 10000-word active vocabulary.
-Almost no grammar mistakes.
-Able to read anything.
-100% listening comprehension, except for very difficult accents and obscure slang.
-Able to pass as a native speaker when writing.

According to the criteria above, it is extremely difficult to achieve Basic Fluency in Mandarin because of the listening comprehension requirement.

Does anyone else have different ideas of what Basic Fluency means?

Edited by Malcolm on 23 July 2006 at 6:51pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6505 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 3 of 106
23 July 2006 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
Malcolm,

You have similar ideas to me. I would class basic fluency as a level whereby you could go to a country of the particular language and be able to communicate effectively in everyday situations there, with very limited hesitations or difficulty.

I agree with your notes on advanced fluency. I would like to be around half way between basic fluency and advanced fluency in Hungarian by early next year - so I have my work cut out for me!

Katie

Sinfonia
Wales
Joined 6531 days ago

255 posts - 261 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 4 of 106
23 July 2006 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
Malcolm wrote:

Basic Fluency:

-Knowledge of all grammar points (or perhaps 95%) contained in a typical grammar book, such as "The Ultimate Spanish Review and Practice".
-Close to 100% listening comprehension if the speaker has a clear accent and is not using any specialized vocabulary or slang.

Advanced Fluency:

-Able to read anything.
-100% listening comprehension, except for very difficult accents and obscure slang.

According to the criteria above, it is extremely difficult to achieve Basic Fluency in Mandarin because of the listening comprehension requirement.

Does anyone else have different ideas of what Basic Fluency means?

The trouble is, your rules rule out a lot of (under-educated) native speakers!

2 persons have voted this message useful

Malcolm
Triglot
Retired Moderator
Korea, South
Joined 7102 days ago

500 posts - 515 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Korean
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 5 of 106
23 July 2006 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
If an adult native speaker has a vocabulary of less than 10,000 words, I'd say it has more to do with severe mental disability than with education. Even children with a low level of education know more than 10,000 words. As for grammar mistakes, I'm not refering to ridiculous prescriptive grammar rules forbidding split infinitives and stranded prepositions. For me, a grammar mistake is something that no moderately educated native speaker would say. For example, "I don't know what's he talking" instead of "I don't know what he's talking about". These are usually word or word translations from a native language to a target language. It is true that a good number of native speakers of certain languages are illiterate, but I feel that a native speaker belongs in a totally different category, Native Fluency, and is therefore exempt from the above requirements.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6730 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 6 of 106
23 July 2006 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Malcolm wrote:

Basic Fluency:

Advanced Fluency:

-Able to read anything.

Malcolm,

have you purposely left out the writing requirements from the Basic Fluency section?

In any case, this brings me to the question I've had on my mind for a while, that of selectively targeting certain language skills when learning a language. I guess if you choose to just learn to read and listen, but not write and speak a language, it's fair to say that you are not "fluent". And yet, if one gets to a point of reading just about anything and understanding the movies and the radio well, it's kind of funny to keep talking about "studying a language" forever either.

By the way, I am a bit puzzled by the 10,000 active vocabulary requirement. Does a typical native speaker really possess it? I've seen it somewhere that Shakespear's was close to 30,000, but this is likely about as big as it ever gets.

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6555 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 7 of 106
23 July 2006 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Malcolm. I'm pretty sure anyone with less than a 10,000-word
vocabulary in his own language would probably have some sort of learning
disability — not to disparage such people, but just to point out that the bar
for advanced fluency is quite high. An educated and well-read person might
have a vocabulary as large as 50,000 words in his own language.

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6879 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 8 of 106
23 July 2006 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
Malcolm,

I'm sorry, I would have to disagree with you on the mastery of 5000 words and 95% grammar rules for basic fluency. This does not take into account the differences between active and passive vocabulary and structure.   I remembered something similar in "The Loom of Language" and decided to reference it. This is what Frederick Bodmer had to say (the italics are his own):

Frederick Bodmer The Loom of Language wrote:

...learning any language involves at least thee kinds of skills as different as arithmetic, algebra and geometry. One is learning to read easily. One is learning to express oneself in speech and writing. The third is being able to follow the course of ordinary conversation among people who use a language habitually. p 11
We may sum up the essential differences between the skill required for a wide reading and the skill required for proficient self-expression in this way. To express ourselves correctly we need to have a ready knowledge of a relatively small number of words -- fifteen hundred or two thousand at most -- and a precise knowledge of the essential grammatical conventions of straightforward statement. To ready widely without a dictionary, we need a nodding acquaintance with a relatively large vocabulary (fifteen thousand words may be given as a rough estimate), and a general familiarly with a wide range of grammatical conventions, which we can recognize at sight, if meaningful. p 15

With that in mind, a 5000-word vocabulary is insufficient for reading and listening comprehension and excessive for oral reproduction. The ability to speak is less a function of how many rules and words we know, but how well we know the basic words and rules. I think this 10 to 1 ratio is a better description of basic fluency. This is certainly manageable on a busy schedule. I guess this is what frenkeld was referring to above; if you are pressed for time there is something to be said for using the language passively in place of studying the language.

John

Edited by Farley on 20 September 2006 at 10:38am

This discussion contains 106 messages over 14 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version