Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5499 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 37
22 December 2012 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
Hey Bruno! It's nice to hear from you! Is there any specific reason you're learning Russian? What resources are you using?
1 person has voted this message useful

Wort
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4359 days ago

82 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: English, Spanish

Message 10 of 37
22 December 2012 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
Hey!

Basically I started learning Russian because I really like its sound as well as I think that it's a pretty interesting and
fascinating language :).
I have Russian classes via Skype once a week and I try to study a bit by myself with "Langenscheidt -Russisch mit
System". And you - which materials are you using?

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5214 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 37
22 December 2012 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
My name is Kerrie, and I am a single mom of beautiful 10 year old twin girls. They are my world. I am an English tutor, and I work (mostly) from home.

Languages have been a passion for many years, but until last year it was nearly impossible for me to learn anything. That's when I found out that I have Celiac disease, and a whole host of other food intolerances. (Don't worry. All this means is that I can't eat wheat. And rye, barley, gluten. Potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggs, corn, milk, and bananas. And eggplants, but I don't miss those!) Everything I ate was making me... Sick. Tired. Sore. Sleepy. Unfocussed. Yuck. Blah. Blah. Yuck.

Now that I've figured that out after being sick for over a decade, I can focus now. I *finally* made solid progress in Spanish, French, and Italian last year.

For 2013, I will be focused on Spanish and French for the Super Challenge, and will also be studying Italian, Portuguese, Croatian and Russian. I took Russian 101 in college about 15 years ago, but don't remember anything to speak of, so I'm pretty close to beginner status. I'll be starting with Assimil and Michel Thomas, and perhaps using Pimsleur as well. I have tons of Russian resources, but that's what I plan to start with. :)

I don't expect to get very far with Russian this year, but I want to work my way through Assimil. I have the new English version that was recently published, and I also have the old Russian without Toil, so when I get through the new one, I will probably work my way through the older version as well. I want to learn enough to get the basics for now, so when Russian is my focus language in 2014, the foundation has already been set. :)

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5077 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 12 of 37
24 December 2012 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone!

I'm glad to see this thread has been created! It's nice to meet you all. :)

My name is Amy and I have been studying Russian for a little over a year now. Although,
I guess it would be more accurate to say I have taken two semesters of it at college,
as I haven't really spent much time on it outside school. But next semester I will be
continuing, so I hope to make it one of my priorities again this year! My other
priority is Georgian, and I am also on the middle-eastern team for Hebrew. :)

My log is
here.
It already has quite a lot on it since I did Russian for last year's TAC (on the
Romance-Slavic team), but it doesn't have enough on it that I feel like I need to
make a new one.

I look forward to studying with everyone and reading everyone's logs! :)

Edited by zecchino1991 on 24 December 2012 at 1:02am

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5499 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 

Message 13 of 37
26 December 2012 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
@ Wort - I'm using Barron's Vocabulary and Grammar books, russianforfree.com, a Russian book which I specified on the first page and some Michel Thomas (when I can bear to listen to it haha).
I'm rather jealous that you have classes. I haven't managed to get any yet. They offer a 3 hour lesson in the city but it's far too long for beginner/elementary and it's on a Sunday, so I'd rather study independently for now.

@ Kerrie - Hello Kerrie! Nice to hear from you.It sounds like you're a career polyglot haha. What a wonderful plan you have. Sorry to hear about your illness but glad that you have found a way to improve your lifestyle. Hope you manage to find lots of time for Russian and get that foundation set!

@ Zecchino/Amy - oh wow! You may well be the most advanced of our group then. I look forward to your Russian posts :D already saw the Happy New Year/Christmas one.

Merry Christmas to you all and I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Wort
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4359 days ago

82 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: English, Spanish

Message 14 of 37
26 December 2012 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Well, 2013 is coming so we should made up our minds concerning our team name, shouldn't we?

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5214 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 15 of 37
27 December 2012 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
Wort wrote:
Well, 2013 is coming so we should made up our minds concerning our team name, shouldn't we?

If it's going to fit in my log title, it will have to be limited to like 3 letters. :)

I really don't have a preference for a name. I have been round in circles with three other teams to pick names, and I'm not even sure we're going to be big enough not to merge with the first team at this point.

Anyone have any team name ideas?

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5499 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 

Message 16 of 37
27 December 2012 at 8:32am | IP Logged 
Well, should the event happen that we are made a team, how about ГУМ as our name? It was the first department store in Moscow, is a beautiful building and is three letters long/ Other than that er...team блины (pancakes) may be fun - since they are a traditional staple of Russian cuisine.

Let's get some more suggestions and then make a vote.

This discussion contains 37 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version