brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6401 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 1 of 189
20 December 2012 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 

Welcome to the Romulan team!

This team is comprised of people dedicated to studying a variety of Romance languages and conquering the galaxy. Most of our members are newbies with no prior TAC experience. Many would consider this a weakness. But we prefer to think of it as a strength. New people – new ways of thinking. We intend to survive and thrive as a team in 2013. We will work together and help each other to reach our individual goals. And we are certain that everyone will make great progress.

Team Members:

Brun Ugle (Spanish)
Spanky (French)
FireVin (Italian)
Travis.H (French)
liammcg (French)
CMTM (Spanish, French)
deadscreen (Spanish, French)
TheGreaterFool (French)
joshkaasik (Spanish)
Luso (Italian)
PistolPete (Italian)
fireballtrouble (French)
Wort (Spanish)
Tsopivo (Spanish)
Jax (Spanish)
Woofcreature (French, Portuguese)
Cambyses (Esperanto, Spanish)   
fmmarianicolon (Spanish)
Emily96 (Italian, Spanish)
IdiomasdelMundo (French, Spanish)
Wilke (French)
suzukaze (French, Spanish)

Challenges

Rank
0-9 challenges – slave
10 challenges – freedman
20 challenges - proletarian
30 challenges – plebian
40 challenges – equestrian
50 challenges - senator
60 challenges – emperor
70 challenges – demi-god
80 challenges - god
90 challenges – Jupiter/Juno

Current Rankings
emily96 - 20 - proletarian
FireVin - 2 - slave
Woofcreature - 2 - slave
PistolPete - 1 - slave
liammcg - 1 - slave
Spanky - 1 - slave
Brun Ugle - 0 - slave
Travis.H - 0 - slave
CMTM - 0 - slave
deadscreen - 0 - slave
TheGreaterFool - 0 - slave
joshkaasik - 0 - slave
Luso - 0 - slave
fireballtrouble - 0 - slave
Wort - 0 - slave
Tsopivo - 0 - slave
Jax - 0 - slave
Cambyses - 0 - slave    
fmmarianicolon - 0 - slave
IdiomasdelMundo - 0 - slave
Wilke - 0 - slave
suzukaze - 0 - slave

Edited by Brun Ugle on 07 April 2013 at 8:03am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6401 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 2 of 189
20 December 2012 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
Links for multiple languages

FSI downloads Downloads for old FSI courses where the copyright is expired. Legal and free.
GLOSS Lessons from the Defense Language Institute. Various languages and levels. Free
lang-8 Write in your target language and natives correct it. You correct those learning your native language. Free for up to two languages.
Tadoku Bot
Tadoku homepage Tadoku is a reading challenge/contest.

logoslibrary Thousands of texts in a wide variety of languages, a number of which have audio as well. you will find a separate page for children's literature, a verb conjugator for quite a lot of verbs in quite a lot of languages, and something I have just noticed: a cool quote section across a variety of languages, including a quote of the day translated into a number of languages. The closest thing I have seen on the internet to our Iversen.

Ilya Frank websiteSomething recommended to me by songlines and I believe a number of hatlers may also be using it or discussing creating more dual language material in the Ilya Frank method.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 18 January 2013 at 12:43pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6401 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 3 of 189
20 December 2012 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
Links for Spanish

Grammar tutorials Animated tutorials on Spanish grammar concepts. Covers everything from the basics to the intermediate level grammar.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 12 January 2013 at 8:18am

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6401 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 4 of 189
20 December 2012 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Links for French

French dictionary

wordreference.com - French/English dictionary together with a conjugation tool and discussions re: use of individual words and phrases.    

french.about.com- collection of large number of specific articles on very wide array of aspects of French language usage.
french.about.com - lesson
index
- proposed syllabus for absolute beginners
french.about.com -
general index

FSI - French page - comprehensive text/audio courses, including a specific Phonology and a general Basic course.

Radio France International
- language learning materials

Lots of very helpful stuff, including:
Journal en français facile - 10 minute audio news broadcast with transcript
L'Affaire du coffret- beginner-level audio/text serialized "adventure"
Mission Europe (Paris) - same, sort of.
Comment vont les
affaires
- audio and text learning opportunity
Le talisman brise - same

BBC Languages - French- A variety of beginner and intermediate learning materials, including:
- Talk French
- My French Experience

Ma France- collection of video recordings with French/English transcription and associated learning activities

Yabla - French- collection of over 400 short French language videos with transcripts, pitch-corrected slow playback, and related exercises including flashcards (pay site).

Edited by Brun Ugle on 21 January 2013 at 6:07pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6401 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 5 of 189
20 December 2012 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Links for Italian

Italian verbs
Italian grammar

Edited by Brun Ugle on 01 January 2013 at 7:20pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6401 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 6 of 189
20 December 2012 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
Links for Portuguese

Portuguese dictionary

Edited by Brun Ugle on 01 January 2013 at 7:22pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6401 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 7 of 189
20 December 2012 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
Links for other Romance languages

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6401 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 8 of 189
20 December 2012 at 7:19pm | IP Logged 
PEP TALK?

First of all, I would like to apologize for and explain my recent actions. I made rather strict and harsh rules intentionally trying to cause a stir/ruckus/brouhaha. There were serious problems with the Romance team, as I think you are now aware, and I was receiving many PM’s asking me to do something. The senior members were on their way out and this team looked to be in danger of falling apart before TAC had even started. I tried to help, but it didn’t seem to be working and I thought the best thing to do would be to blow the whole team to smithereens and start again. I managed to blow a few chunks off, but most of you newbies held fast. That showed me that in spite of being new and inexperienced, you are tough.

Although my plan didn’t work exactly as intended (when you explode something you don’t always know where the pieces will fly), it does seem to have a positive effect and I haven’t gotten any more complaints, so all’s well that ends well. I’m glad that I managed to reduce the size of the team a little because I think the team is now at an ideal size. It isn’t too large to create the closeness we need, but at the same time, it isn’t so small that it will collapse if a few people leave.

I hold fast to what I said earlier about everyone working together. Even if we aren’t always studying the same languages, we can still share advice on general study techniques and give encouragement when needed. I was on the Japanese team last year (still am) and some of my teammates went over, temporarily or permanently, to studying other languages for the most part. I don’t know anything about French verbs or Turkish vocabulary, but I can still offer advice on other things. Also, people don’t just write about their studies, but also about other difficulties and achievements. And I can certainly understand and take part in those.

Just about every one of us on the Japanese team collapsed or felt like giving up at some point and was pulled up by the others, and I think that is true of many teams. That’s what team-TAC is about. Some of you have been on HTLAL for years but have never tried TAC, some of you are new to HTLAL but have some experience in learning languages, and some of you have probably never learned a foreign language before. It’s tough. TAC is tough; we work as intensely as possible and really focus on languages. Learning a language is tough; there will be many times when you study for months and months and will feel like you aren’t making any progress. People don’t always realize how difficult it is. I tried to learn Japanese and gave up many times. I still often feel that I’m not getting anywhere, but I know if I keep going, I will. I’m not trying to scare you, just prepare you. There is unfortunately a very high dropout rate in TAC and we need each other sometimes just to keep going.

This team has had a tough start, but you’ve already proven that you are tough yourselves. It is time now to get to know each other, to bond, to build up morale and to learn to work together as a team.

Spanky and I will do everything we can to help. Spanky is always good for a laugh (but don’t believe anything he says). I don’t know what I’m good for, but I’ll do my best. And I know each of you will do your best both to learn everything you can and to cheer on your teammates.

And I’m sorry for trying to blow up the Romulan home-world :-{     I’m insane, but mostly harmless. Perhaps I’m mixing my science-fiction a little :-)

Go “Romulans”!

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 189 messages over 24 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version