Joined 4329 days ago

28 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 81 of 189
18 January 2013 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:

40 challenges – equestrian

That reminds me of the horse meat 'scandal' we're having in the UK! The shops are happy
to answer any equestrians you may have.
1 person has voted this message useful

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4385 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 82 of 189
18 January 2013 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the format for these challenges? Where do we post them?
etc

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6401 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 83 of 189
18 January 2013 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure what you mean by format, but you can post them here. Personally, I'd believe you even if you just said you did them without posting, but posting them might make it more fun. I also suggest that you might want to post some of the written challenges on lang-8 to get corrections.

Wort
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4321 days ago

82 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: English, Spanish

Message 84 of 189
19 January 2013 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
Hey!

For those of you that also study German I can really recommend the following dictionary which contains the
languages English, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian and Mandarin. :)

www.leo.org

Wilke
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 4523 days ago

5 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: French, Polish

Message 85 of 189
20 January 2013 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
Hello! Seems I am quite late out but I would like to join Team Romulan!

I am Wilke from Sweden. I studied french for four years in school and like most people didnt learn much. Shortly after I was finished with my studies I got interested in France and as a result, french! Learning on my own volition was a great experience but at one point I got a bit bored with it and took up polish aswell. It was very hard to do both languages at the same time so I made the decision to learn polish 'now' and later on when I was more confident in it take up french again. Well the time has come! My knowledge in french is still quite limited but I am ready to devote a lot of time to it!

Merci!

Edit: I am also going to sign up for Team Żubr(Polish)

Edited by Wilke on 20 January 2013 at 6:41pm

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5737 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 86 of 189
20 January 2013 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
I finally got around to updated the links page. Spanky, do you know what "short description" means? I didn't feel like condensing things, so I just quoted Spanky. Maybe I'll get around to it later.

I have a general sense of what "short description" means, but I am just constitutionally unable to achieve it!   I wanted to provide a fuller description for the benefit of team mates, but yep, way too wordy for your link section on page 1 of this thread.

So for the link portion still cut-and-pasted in the first page, how about the following shortened descriptions:

wordreference.com - French/English dictionary together with a conjugation tool and discussions re: use of individual words and phrases.       

---------------

french.about.com - collection of large number of specific articles on very wide array of aspects of French language usage.
-------------------

FSI - French page - comprehensive text/audio courses, including a specific Phonology and a general Basic course.

------------------

Radio France International - variety of French language resources, including:
- Journal en français facile - 10 minute audio news broadcast with transcript
- L'Affaire du coffret - beginner-level audio/text serialized "adventure"
- Mission Europe (Paris) - same, sort of.
- Comment vont les affaires - audio and text learning opportunity
- Le talisman brise - same

---------------

BBC Languages - French

A variety of beginner and intermediate learning materials, including:
- Talk French
- My French Experience
- Ma France - collection of video recordings with French/English transcription and associated learning activities
----------------

Yabla French - collection of over 400 short French language videos with transcripts, pitch-corrected slow playback, and related exerices including flashcards (pay site).

Edited by Spanky on 20 January 2013 at 9:37pm

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5737 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 87 of 189
20 January 2013 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by format, but you can post them here. Personally, I'd believe you even if you just said you did them without posting, but posting them might make it more fun. I also suggest that you might want to post some of the written challenges on lang-8 to get corrections.

I love the challenges initiative Brun Ugle!

I have just signed up for an account on lang-8.com (my user name: Evil Abed). I would encourage those of you who have not tried lang-8 to give it a try. It represents a real opportunity to contribute in a meaningful way to other language users in addition to allowing you to advance in your own learning efforts. I will likely run my challenge texts through lang-8 and link back to here or copy them here or my own thread with suggested corrections, whatever may seem to work most advantageously in terms of sharing learning experiences without cluttering the thread. For now until I get some mental breathing room, I am gonna have to remain a slave for a while yet....

Edited by Spanky on 20 January 2013 at 9:45pm

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4209 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 88 of 189
21 January 2013 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
Hola! Me llamo Emily. Tengo dieciséis años. Me encanta aprender lenguas. Voy a trabajar mucho este año para
mejorar ( i think i've seen someone use that verb somewhere.. it means improve, right?) mi español. Voy a tomar
una clase de español el próximo semestre a mi escuela.

Ciao! Mi chiamo Emily. Ho sedici anni. Studio l'italiano.

Salut! Je m'appelle Emily. J'ai seize ans. J'ai commencé à apprendre le français en 6e année à l'école en immersion
française. L'année passée, j'ai fait un échange au Québec pendant 3 mois. Cela m'a aidé beaucoup avec la
compréhension, mais il faut que j'améliore mon accent!

Hi! I'm Emily. I'm sixteen years old. I started french in 6th grade, and having done an exchange to Quebec last year,
i'm pretty comfortable expressing myself in french, although my accent is still kind of terrible. I'm not planning to
do much self study for french this year because I think what we do in school will be enough. I'll try to watch some
movies or something though.
I started learning Spanish in grade 9, but it's been 6 months since my last class (darn you semester system) so i'm
pretty rusty. I'm taking the next level offered at my school next semester (which starts in about two weeks). I'm also
not going to concentrate much on that by myself, i'll just try to integrate more Spanish music, books, and movies
into my life.
My real focus is Italian! I'm so excited. I got a book called "Painless Italian" for christmas and i do a lesson from it at
least 5 or 6 days a week. It really is painless... you don't even notice yourself learning, it just happens! So i'll be
doing all my challenges in Italian.

By the way, i love the challenges idea! It's great to have a specific focus and bite sized chunks to work on. I can't
wait to achieve demi-god status =)

Thank you for letting me join your team even though i'm late! I promise to work hard and not give up half way
through. I'll post a link to my log as soon as i make one.

EDIT: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=35043&PN=1&TPN=1 here's the link to
my log, i just wrote a super quick introduction to get it out there.

Edited by Emily96 on 21 January 2013 at 1:43am

This discussion contains 189 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version