Joined 6402 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 105 of 189
31 January 2013 at 7:26am | IP Logged 
IdiomasdelMundo wrote:
Bonjour a tous!

I signed on for HTLAL today, though I've been to the site on numerous occasions, I just hadn't been actively participating until I decided take the leap this afternoon.
This is first I've heard of TAC, but from what little I've gathered "stalking" the forum today, it sounds as if my prayers have been answered.

I'm from Sweden, though I currently live in England. I'm a full-time university student. I took French all through regular school, and Spanish in high school, and though I got full marks in both, I remember nada (nothing in Spanish)!

I've long been entertaining the idea of regaining and improving my skills in the aforementioned languages, and I decided 2013 was going to be the year in which I was going achieve that.

So what tools do I have at my disposal in order to succeed and achieve my goals, you ask. Well for starters, after reading some rave reviews, I've purchased Assimil's New French with Ease and Spanish with Ease. I started Monday 28th January, and have done 6 lessons in respective books. It's been a breeze so far and I'm loving it. I've also purchased Learn French/Spanish with Paul Noble, which is an audio only course, and if I may be frank, it's the best purchase I've made language wise. It's done leaps and bounds for my pronunciation. I've signed-up for Verbling, which is an excellent tool to communicate with natives/near-natives of your target languages.I'm a firm believer in speaking from the go, so I've been communicating with what little I know. I've also signed up for Lang-8,yet another superb concept, though I will only be updating my writing on there during the weekends. I've also signed-up for the 6-week challenge on twitter.

Though I'm a fully-grown adult I'm a child at heart, and adore animated films, specially those from the Disney Renaissance. I jump at any excuse to take my niece and nephew to catch the latest animation. I love film, tv and music, so I'll be using materials in my target languages, thus it won't feel like a chore. The last few days I've been listening to my favourite Disney songs in my target languages. I start off by listening to the song a few times, then attempting to write the lyrics. Once finished, I check with the original lyrics online. Check how much of I wrote correctly. Then using the original lyrics I translate it to Swedish and English respectively.
P.S. I LOVE SEBASTIAN more (in the Little Mermaid) in French than I do the Swedish & English versions.

I'm fully aware that I'm beyond fashionably late in wanting to join, so if you decide not to, I'll fully understand.

Tack allesammans!

Wecome. I'll add you to the lists. Now you just have to make a log (remember to include TAC2013 and Romulan somewhere in the title) and catch up on reading your teammates logs.
1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6402 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 106 of 189
31 January 2013 at 7:28am | IP Logged 
FireViN wrote:
I got crazy and registered with Persian on the 6WC. I feel like I'm betraying the Romulans, but I promise to study as much Italian as this new language! Hahahaha

I registered with Japanese so I guess I'm betraying the Romulans too. But my other team is Japanese, so either way I have to betray someone. Actually, I chose Japanese because I wanted to do it before I got too good to qualify. Next time I will do Spanish.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6402 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 107 of 189
31 January 2013 at 7:49am | IP Logged 
I've got challenges registered for these people:

emily96 - 3 - slave
FireVin - 1 - slave
PistolPete - 1 - slave
Woofcreature - 1 - slave

I think I'm doing a pretty good job of keeping track so far, but it would help if everyone could also keep track of their numbers themselves in case I lose track at some point, which might happen if I go away on vacation or get elected prime minister or something. Also if a lot of people start doing a lot of challenges, it could quickly become confusing.

Something like this would be nice:

This is my 5th challenge. It's #21 on the beginner list.

That would make it a lot easier.

So far Emily96 is in the lead, but everyone still has a way to go before winning freedom. I'd better get started myself if I'm to make demi-god.

And if anyone has any ideas for some new challenges, speak up. I suppose I could start trolling around on other teams' threads and see what they're up to too.

IdiomasdelMundo
United Kingdom
Joined 4098 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 108 of 189
31 January 2013 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
Emily96 wrote:
Welcome to the forum IdiomasdelMundo! Good luck with your language learning goals for the year.

I've been busy too with the semester ending and studying for exams and such. But on monday i wrote my last one
and so now it's back to Italian!

I just learned a lot of food vocabulary, so i figured i might as well write the shopping list for challenge #13. I won't
actually be going shopping with it though... it's more of a "what i would like to eat right now/practicing using
numbers and indefinite articles and new vocab" list. I hope thats ok. Anyhoo, here it is:

- una pagnotta di pane
- un po' di formaggio
- quattro mele
- tre arance
- sei banane
- degli spaghetti
- dei piselli
- dei fagioli
- delle patate
- una brocca di latte
- una libra di burro
- molta cioccolata!

Edited by IdiomasdelMundo on 25 December 2013 at 3:35pm

IdiomasdelMundo
United Kingdom
Joined 4098 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Speaks: Swedish*

Message 109 of 189
31 January 2013 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 

Edited by IdiomasdelMundo on 25 December 2013 at 3:35pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6402 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 110 of 189
31 January 2013 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
IdiomasdelMundo wrote:
I was planning on doing the 6 week challenge too, maybe we can spur each other on? I am on the hand slightly worried, the bot hasn't registered me yet, and well, today's the last day. Do you know anyone I can contact regarding this?

If you check here, there is an e-mail address on the second line from the bottom. The bot is a little slow though, so depending how long ago you registered, it might simply not have updated. I forget how long it took for me, but I remember feeling like it was a very long time. (Not days, but maybe an hour(?) I can't remember.)

IdiomasdelMundo wrote:

Thank you very much! I'm psyched for the challenge ahead. I'm embarrassed to say that I have no idea how to create a log. Is there a how-to on the forum? Can someone send me a link please? I'm technically challenged, you see.

In the log section of the forum (this section), you will see a button on the top right, just above the list of logs. It says "new topic." Click on that. It asks you about type of thread and language, but you don't actually need those. All you need to put is the title.

I don't think you can add tags if you're new to the forum, but someone else will do that for you. And if you ever want to edit the title, you just have to edit the first post.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 31 January 2013 at 3:19pm

Travis.H
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4238 days ago

59 posts - 91 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, Sign Language
Studies: French

Message 111 of 189
01 February 2013 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
I really like the challenges listed. I'll be starting them soon once I reach the
'active stage' in Assimil (6 more lessons to go).

Two you could add might be:

Find 5 false friends in your target language. List an alternative word and write a
sentence using one or both words correctly.

E.g.,

1.) Actuellement: Sounds like ‘actually’...actually means ‘at the current time’.
Actually would be ‘en fait’.

-   Actuellement Tom ne regarde pas la télévision. (Tom isn't watching TV now)

-   En fait, il va en Amérique (Actually, he's going to America)

Without looking at the target language text, translate 5 sentences from your L1 to
your L2, checking your translation with the L2 text after.

E.g.,

If you had both the English and French copies of Le Petit Prince, you could look at the
English and try to create what is written in the French version.

While looking at: Draw me a sheep!

You would write: Dessine-moi un mouton!

Edited by Travis.H on 01 February 2013 at 3:42am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6402 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 112 of 189
01 February 2013 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
@Travis.H
I added your challenges. Thanks.

@IdiomasdelMundo
I see you made it into the 6WC. Apparently there were a lot of people having trouble registering yesterday.

This discussion contains 189 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version