Diglot
Canada
Joined 4187 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 113 of 189
02 February 2013 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
Once the new semester starts at school, i'll have Spanish class every day and french class every second day. Can i
count that for the 6WC? I promise to be very honest about what percent of the time i actually spent completely
focused on the language!
1 person has voted this message useful

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4187 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 114 of 189
04 February 2013 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
This is my fourth challenge, number three from the beginners list:

La mia amica si chiama Emmy. È alta e bella. Ha gli occhi castani e i capelli neri, ma se li tinge di rosso al momento.
Emmy è divertente e simpatica. È intelligente, ma non le piace la scuola, eccetto parlare con gli amici. Inoltre le piace
ascoltare la musica e cucinare.

I also just learned a simple past tense (hooray!) which opens up some more options on the challenge list.

I noticed that Nadia and Janice are right up there at the top of the 6WC scoreboard! What i'd like to know is how you
find so many things to do in your target language. I've already raced through a chapter in my workbook (which
would normally take a week), and spent hours practicing vocabulary and translated a song into English. I also
started watching youtube videos and listening to music. But i still find myself running out of things to do to get
those extra hours. Any tips?

EDIT: Here's another challenge =P number 6 on the list, finding cognates.

il riso - rice
la frutta - fruit
la carota - carrot
la patata - potato
la cioccolata - chocolate
la rosa - rose
ricco - rich
spazioso - spacious
moderno - modern
naturale - natural
intelligente - intelligent
la persona - person
la famiglia - family
blu - blue (dark blue)
marzo, aprile, agosto, settembre, ottobre, novembre, dicembre - march, april, august, september, october,
november, december. The other months are quite similar too.

That makes 5 completed challenges... halfway to freedom!!

Edited by Emily96 on 04 February 2013 at 2:33am

FireViN
Diglot
Brazil
missaoitaliano.wordpRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4988 days ago

196 posts - 292 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2
Studies: Italian

Message 115 of 189
04 February 2013 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
Advanced Challenge #17

Let's hope for the best.

I've been studying a looot more since the 6WC started. I don't want to leave Italian behind, so I'm actually studying it more than I have been in the past few weeks.

PistolPete
Scotland
Joined 4141 days ago

28 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin, Italian

Message 116 of 189
05 February 2013 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
I better get cracking with some challenges then, I don't want to be the only schiavo Italiano left!

Have you had any luck finding good Italian music Emily? I find it's mainly crooners like Gino Paoli and Jimmy Fontana that are prevalent. Although I would recommend Nina Zilli, I Mostri (who I think Tsopivo mentioned in his log, so all due to credit to him) and I Cani who have a great a song called Hipsteria.

Youo could try comics for those extra hours, easy to read and you don't even have to know all the words. I'm sure something like Tintin would be good as you can compare with the English/French if you get stuck.

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4187 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 

Message 117 of 189
05 February 2013 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the suggestions Pete! My library has ZERO Italian books (well, they have grammar books and dictionaries,
but no fiction), so i'll have to look elsewhere. But they do have quite a few movies that look interesting. And i'll look
up those singers you mentioned!

Also, i have completed challenge #62, to find the names of ten things in your room that you don't know the name
for and to look it up. I actually ended up identifying 21 different things with blue sticky notes indicating the Italian
word! That's my sixth challenge.

And i know someone mentioned Skype at some point, are we going to get around to that? It would be great to meet
everyone again and practice speaking and maybe do some of the oral challenges. The tongue twister one would be
particularly fun =P And i could show you my blue stickies! I don't know how we're going to coordinate time zones
and such, or how we'll decide what language to speak. I personally wouldn't mind just going for it and seeing who
shows up and what languages we have in common. Thoughts?

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6379 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 118 of 189
05 February 2013 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
Emily96 wrote:
Once the new semester starts at school, i'll have Spanish class every day and french class every second day. Can i
count that for the 6WC? I promise to be very honest about what percent of the time i actually spent completely
focused on the language!

I would think so, but the best place to ask about it is on the 6WC thread in the general discussion forum.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6379 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 119 of 189
05 February 2013 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
Great job guys!

Emily, if you click on the names of people in the 6WC, you can see exactly what they are doing. There is a little scroll thingy where you can choose to see how much they are doing per language, per date, per tag, etc. If you choose tags, you can see what kind of activities they are doing. It might give you some ideas about what you can do.

I really need to work on my listening skills so I've been watching a lot of TV (it's tagged as drama because that's what they call it in Japan, but it's actually comedy). Anyway, that's a pretty easy activity, so I can do a lot in one day without getting too tired. I also listen to audiobooks and things that I downloaded to my iPhone. I mostly listen to them when I'm doing mindless activities like walking somewhere or exercising on the arc trainer or stationary bicycle. I can't do it if I'm doing something that requires even a teensy bit of concentration, like strength training (because I have to count reps) or even cooking, simply because I have trouble doing two things at once (an autist thing).

Remember to count the time you are using doing the challenges here. That's also study. I use a timer for timing those kinds of things.

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4363 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 120 of 189
05 February 2013 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
I've just thrown together a small piece on lang-8.
Advanced challenge 1

8.com/520705/journals/16595188681018926464017984565561182778 7/Introduction">Intro

Edited by liammcg on 05 February 2013 at 11:43am

This discussion contains 189 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version