Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6401 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 9 of 189
20 December 2012 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
I think we should take a little time to introduce ourselves. You can do it in any language you want as long as you write a summary or translation in English. Maybe some of you have already done this on the other thread?

Some teams have small challenges they’ve set for each other. If anyone has any ideas, we could try doing one too.

Here’s an example from the Vikings: They each are to write whatever they want in their target language. First, you set a timer for 5 minutes and write whatever you can until the time is up – no dictionary allowed. Then, you set the timer for 5 minutes again and write some more. This time you can use a dictionary and grammar book. The idea is that you will be able to compare your writing at the end of the year to what you could do at the beginning.

I also have made some room for links. I will try to copy the links you give me up there so we have them in one place. If you have a useful link, post it with a short description and I will copy-paste when I get time.

1 person has voted this message useful

FireViN
Diglot
Brazil
missaoitaliano.wordpRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5010 days ago

196 posts - 292 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2
Studies: Italian

Message 10 of 189
20 December 2012 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
Thank you so much Brun Ugle! I was really upset about what was happening to the Romance team. It was like everybody was giving up before the TAC even started, with the seniors leaving and this sense of lack of motivation. Anyway, it's good to have a fresh start! We Romulans should stick together. I know some people won't make it, but we should at least try!

I really like the ideia of the small challenges. It's always nice to have a little extra motivation. We could even do some multilingual reading contests or something.

I already introduced myself at the first thread, but later I can write a small text about myself again.

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5737 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 11 of 189
21 December 2012 at 7:57am | IP Logged 
Jolan tru, Romulans.

Introduction time: I am actively learning French at present and have an interest in
learning at least a dab of each of Italian, Spanish and Portuguese at some point in the
future, though I am not sure this will happen this year. I will however be following
all of your learning logs with interest.

I am not sure where to rate my French language ability. Perhaps “really low
intermediate” level though in terms of spontaneous conversation ability, I probably
rate a “he may be suffering the effects of a concussion or something like that, sorry
to break the bad news to you” level. I can write a little better than I can either
speak or orally understand French and I can read a little better than I can write. I
like French Vanilla ice cream a lot more than I like French fries.

You are most welcome to come on by my French log, 18 Months of French for un
café
anytime. Beginning on page 6 of that log, I have provided links to various
pages from the excellent site, French.about.com dealing with French verbs going right
back to basics – for any of you just starting out in French, some of that may be of
interest at some point.

That log is the most relevant of a series of three concurrently-maintained logs, one
nestled within the differential time line of the next log much like the embedded layers
of unreality set out in the movie Inception (if you have not seen this, you must). I
would recommend avoiding my 20 in 20 - Learning Log of the Deranged and SpankyTAC 2028
logs, as madness therein lies.

Looking forward to a fun and productive year!   

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5737 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 12 of 189
21 December 2012 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
Here’s an example from the Vikings: They each are to write whatever
they want in their target language. First, you set a timer for 5 minutes and write
whatever you can until the time is up – no dictionary allowed.

While I have rarely looked to Vikings as the model of behaviour to emulate (pillaging
villages just does very little for me), this sounds like fun.

Here goes a French attempt:

Bonjour à tous, je m’appelle Spanky (pas vraiement, mais pour maintenant, ça
suffit!).    J’habite a Vancouver, Canada.   Un jour dans le futur, j’aurai un
Maseratti et j’habiterai dans une très grande château avec plus de cinq chiens. Mais,
malheureusement, à ce moment, je n’ai pas de Maserati and je n’ai pas de chien ou
d’autre animal.   Il y a des (squirrels) qui habite dans un arbre près de chez moi, et
de temps en temps je me dit que les (squirrels) sont presque bon comme des chiens. Je
suis en train d’apprendre le francais, parce que ma château de l’avenir sera trouvé en
France.

What I tried to write :

Hello everyone, my name is Spanky (not really but for now that is sufficient). I live
in Vancouver, Canada. One day in the future I will have a super awesome Maseratti and
live in a very large castle with more than 5 dogs. But unfortunately now I do not have
a super slick Maseratti and I do not have a dog or other animal. there are squirrels
in a tree near my place and from time to time I tell myself squirrels are almost as
good as dogs. I am in the process of learning French because my castle of the future
will be found in France.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6401 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 13 of 189
21 December 2012 at 8:17am | IP Logged 
FireViN wrote:
Thank you so much Brun Ugle! I was really upset about what was happening to the Romance team. It was like everybody was giving up before the TAC even started, with the seniors leaving and this sense of lack of motivation. Anyway, it's good to have a fresh start! We Romulans should stick together. I know some people won't make it, but we should at least try!

I really like the ideia of the small challenges. It's always nice to have a little extra motivation. We could even do some multilingual reading contests or something.

I already introduced myself at the first thread, but later I can write a small text about myself again.

Even though we are starting fresh here, if you've introduced yourself on the old thread, copy-paste is an option.

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5737 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 14 of 189
21 December 2012 at 8:23am | IP Logged 
I came across an interesting study tip that I will be trying out this coming year:

bathroom breaks are already built into
the system

This is from Community, a wildly awesome TV show which (despite the many threats I have
made to the network) I have learned is not being continued beyond the coming 4th
season.

It features a community of individuals from differing backgrounds who are all taking
beginner level Spanish at college and who together form a study group with a view to
mutual advantage.

Any parallels to our present circumstances? Nah, just a coincidence…

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5737 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 15 of 189
21 December 2012 at 8:39am | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle, I love the look of the new thread! The home world of Romulus remains intact.

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5737 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 

Message 16 of 189
21 December 2012 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
On the off-chance we ever feel the need for a team theme song, my nomination is the
following, also from Community:

the library is in big moustache

(I am not entirely sure how successful their study group had been by this point.)

This discussion contains 189 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version