Diglot
Canada
Joined 4209 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 153 of 189
08 March 2013 at 5:15am | IP Logged 
Thank you! I should have put it on lang-8, but i didn't want to wait for corrections. They all make sense though, i'll
try to remember for next time, And yes, the "de" was me getting mixed up with Spanish again!

A note on the capitalization - has anyone else noticed that the forum automatically corrects the names of languages
to begin with a capital? You can see that i tried to edit it right after i posted because i noticed that it shouldn't be
capitalized, but after entering the correction, it just switched back instantly.
1 person has voted this message useful

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4383 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 154 of 189
08 March 2013 at 8:10am | IP Logged 
I immediately thought about an interference with Spanish since I saw you are studying it and it's certainly tricky to learn these two languages at the same time!

Emily96 wrote:
A note on the capitalization - has anyone else noticed that the forum automatically corrects the names of languages
to begin with a capital? You can see that i tried to edit it right after i posted because i noticed that it shouldn't be
capitalized, but after entering the correction, it just switched back instantly.

I noticed some problems with forums as well when I tried to use special characters in the titles of some books/podcasts I listed in my log. I was able to go around the problem switching to their English names, but since I'm going to post challenges results soon I'd like to understand how can I input these characters.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6401 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 155 of 189
08 March 2013 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
I have heard that there is a problem with capitalization and I don't think there is anything you can do about it.

I think special characters should be OK. People type in all kinds of languages here. I noticed that when I trying to make an upside-down question mark, it wouldn't work, but when I typed it in word and then pasted it here, it was fine. I don't know why that is. I can type here in Japanese and except for the spacing problem, that comes out fine. I write a lot of stuff in Word first anyway, so it isn't a big problem for me.

I just tried the ¿ and it worked. I wonder why it didn't before. In any case, you could try Word. It might help. Or ask someone who does write in the language you are interested in, how they do it.

EDIT: I just remembered. When I tried the ¿ and it didn't work, I'd been using a different Spanish IME. It was Spanish, but I was using the version for a Norwegian keyboard. Maybe you should try switching your IME.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 08 March 2013 at 11:07am

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4383 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 156 of 189
08 March 2013 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
Thanks Brun Ugle! When I posted my log I was at work, I've now made a test from the computer I have at home and it seems that all the special characters are okay. Problem solved :)

FireViN
Diglot
Brazil
missaoitaliano.wordpRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5010 days ago

196 posts - 292 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2
Studies: Italian

Message 157 of 189
19 March 2013 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
Fellow Romulans:

I'm still alive and intend to go back to Italian soon!

Live long and prosper

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4209 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 158 of 189
22 March 2013 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
I'm still studying too and checking in everyday for new posts! I guess everyone's been busy lately.

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4252 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 159 of 189
25 March 2013 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
Hi guys,

Just a quick post to explain why I have not been posting lately on my log. Basically, I have not been doing any language learning since January as I have some personal stuff that I need to deal with first. Hopefully, this should not take a full year and I will be able to resume language learning later this year. Until then, good luck every one with your learning!

Edited by Tsopivo on 25 March 2013 at 3:21am

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6401 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 160 of 189
25 March 2013 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
Tsopivo wrote:
Hi guys,

Just a quick post to explain why I have not been posting lately on my log. Basically, I have not been doing any language learning since January as I have some personal stuff that I need to deal with first. Hopefully, this should not take a full year and I will be able to resume language learning later this year. Until then, good luck every one with your learning!

That's OK. You aren't the only one. It seems like a lot of forum members are having a rough start to the year. Maybe it's because it is 2013.

This discussion contains 189 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version