Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 25 of 189
21 December 2012 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
I have two stories for you. One is about a much more illustrious person than the other.

A list of Abraham Lincoln’s Failures:

Lost job, 1832
    Defeated for legislature, 1832
    Failed in business, 1833
    Elected to legislature, 1834
    Sweetheart (Ann Rutledge) died, 1835
    Had nervous breakdown, 1836
    Defeated for Speaker, 1838
    Defeated for nomination for Congress, 1843
    Elected to Congress, 1846
    Lost renomination, 1848
    Rejected for Land Officer, 1849
    Defeated for Senate, 1854
    Defeated for nomination for Vice-President, 1856
    Again defeated for Senate, 1858
    Elected President, 1860

So in hindsight, given that he was one of the most famous and important presidents ever, he turned out to be a success.

Then a story about TAC.

In 2011 I entered my first TAC. We started out with four members on the Russian team (we had small teams back then), but since a couple of them never really got off the ground we were actually just two. We accepted three more members to the team, but they did not really participate much either. I tried to keep in touch with the other Russian team, but before long there was just a couple of them left too. By August I was on my own in my team, and regrouped with several people to form a new team, but life got in the way for some of them, and in December we were down to just two souls who were still hanging in there.

And guess what? We won the TAC. I am sure you get my drift. You do not have to be an experienced TACer to do well, and you do not need a big team. What you need is dogged determination and lots of motivation. A sense of humor doesn't hurt either :-)

You guys have showed that you are tough, resilient and that you are stayers. You also happen to have a fantastic duo as captain and co-captain. Go ahead and amaze us. Be active, support each other, pick up bright ideas from the other teams, and kick around some ideas of your own. Now go out and kick - well you know :-) But most of all, have fun, and learn as much as you can. Not for us, but for yourselves. Best of luck!!

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 21 December 2012 at 10:12pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

CMTM
United Kingdom
Joined 4329 days ago

28 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 26 of 189
21 December 2012 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
I just want to prove all the nay-sayers wrong! If we can do that, and survive as a strong
team throughout the year, then this team has been has been a success (in my mind at
least.) I hope we can put everything behind us, and continue as a stronger team!
2 persons have voted this message useful

PistolPete
Scotland
Joined 4163 days ago

28 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin, Italian

Message 27 of 189
22 December 2012 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
Ciao! Mi chiamo Peter. Sono scozzese e abito a Glasgow. Sto imparando Italiano e spero migliorare nel corso dell'anno.

Trans: Hi! My name is Peter. I am Scottish and live in Glasgow. I am learning Italian and I hope to improve over the year.

I've been dabbling with Italian for the past six months but have only seriously been studying the language since November. I have previous language learning experience with Latin and may resurrect my Latin studies in the new year too. As this is my first TAC I only want to focus on one language so I can make a lot of progress, but I mainly hope I last the distance. I also plan to have my log up and running by the end of this weekend.

Many thanks to BrunUgle and Spanky for pulling us back from the brink. After that near disastrous start the only is up for Team Romulan. As our old friend Virgil might say: 'sic itur ad astra'.

Tsopivo, I hope you stay. I think, and sincerely hope, any bickering is over and we have the makings of a strong, enthusiastic team.

Team Romulan per sempre!
1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6401 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 28 of 189
22 December 2012 at 8:12am | IP Logged 
Tsopivo and anyone else who is thinking of quitting:

The only way to prove the critics wrong is to keep going. Most of them seem to have quieted down at this point, and by the time TAC starts they will be too busy to bother with us. All of us were new to TAC at one point (even them), so there is no reason to assume that just because someone is new, they won't make it to the end.

Cristina:
I never would have guessed that I'm nearly qualified to be president :D I'm not sure I'd want that job though. I'm not that crazy. Organizing TAC is hard enough.

Thank you for the support. I know this team has the potential to make it through the year, but I think they might need to hear it a few more times before they believe it themselves.

CMTM:
Exactly. Put the past behind and start again. That's one of the reasons I wanted to start up a clean new thread. The other was that I wanted to be able to organize it so that we could have links and such :)

Edited by Brun Ugle on 22 December 2012 at 8:17am

Wort
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4321 days ago

82 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: English, Spanish

Message 29 of 189
22 December 2012 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 

Intro:

Well, my name is Bruno and I am a fifteen-year-old student from Austria. My plan is to focus on Spanish which I
have been learning for about 15 months now. In the course of this TAC I really want to achieve a low B2 or a high
B1, whereas currently I have an A2 I'd say.
In addition I will study Russian (total beginner) as well as I will try to brush up my English skills.

So, I hope we have a lot of fun and success! :)

¡Ánimo!

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4305 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 30 of 189
22 December 2012 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
Hi there, my name is Utku and I'm Turkish. During TAC 2013 challange, I'll focus on
French. My goal is to achieve level C1 by the end of the year.
Because being a medical student, to be honest I encounter difficulties to find some time
for language studies. But if language learning is your pleasure, languages attract you
enough to make you show concern for them.
Currently I'm between B1+ and B2 in French, and here is my logbook:

LOGBOOK

Good luck for all, I wish we'll be an encouraged team !

Edited by fireballtrouble on 22 December 2012 at 2:13pm

FireViN
Diglot
Brazil
missaoitaliano.wordpRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5010 days ago

196 posts - 292 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2
Studies: Italian

Message 31 of 189
24 December 2012 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
About myself:

My name is Vinicius, 20 years old from Brazil. My TAC focus will be Italian, but I plan to tackle other languages in the future. I'm a native speaker of Portuguese and advanced (C1, I hope) in English. My level in Italian is probably at B1, and I'll try hard to reach a B2+ by the end of the year.

I won't have much free time this year, but I'm determined to follow a well-planned schedule and will try to quit procrastinating. It will be hard, but I think I can do it. I hope this team sticks together and that we support each other throughout the year. If you guys need help with anything related to Portuguese (or even Spanish and Italian), motivation, etc., I'll gladly try to help. I'll setup my log by the end of the month.

Go Romulans!

Edited by FireViN on 24 December 2012 at 7:40pm

Wort
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4321 days ago

82 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: English, Spanish

Message 32 of 189
25 December 2012 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
Hello!

Nice to see you! :)
Do you also know a bit Spanish, Vinicius? Anyway, good luck with your plans, you will certainly reach your goals!

Concerning the logs: As I'm member of two teams I wonder if I have to create two logs or if it would be enough to
start one (which'd be the better option in my opinion, because there are sooo many participants this year).

This discussion contains 189 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version