Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6380 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 57 of 189
04 January 2013 at 7:37am | IP Logged 
I thought I should remind you all that we have a nice empty links section at the front of this log just waiting for your favorite links.

If you have any online resources that you think are really fabulous, post them here and I will copy them to the appropriate links page. Let me know what language the link is for, and please include a short description of the site.
1 person has voted this message useful

fmmarianicolon
Diglot
United States
Joined 4106 days ago

28 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Sign Language
Studies: Japanese

Message 58 of 189
04 January 2013 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
¡Buenos días!

Me llamo Fernando y soy su nuevo miembro del equipo. Estoy feliz que pueda aprender
español y otros idiomas con ustedes. Mi mamá y papá son de Puerto Rico. Mi papá
trabajo con el Army. Entonces, mi hermanos y yo crecimos en los Estados Unidos y
hablamos inglés. Ahora tengo 30 años y quiero ser un intérprete trilingüe (inglés,
español, y lenguaje de señas americano), pero necesito mejorar mi habilidad a escribir
y hablar español ... especialmente los conjugaciones. Creo que soy un B1 cuando
necesito hablar or escribir. Creo que soy un C1 cuando estoy leyendo o escuchando
español. Si tienen preguntas o puedo hacer algo para ayudar el equipo, ¡digame!

---

Good morning!

My name is Fernando and I am your new team member. I'm happy that I can learn Spanish
and other languages with y'all. My mom and dad are from Puerto Rico. My dad worked
with the Army. So, my brothers and I grew up in the United States and spoke English.
Now I am 30 years old and want to become a trilingual interpreter (English, Spanish,
and American Sign Language), but I need to improve my ability to write and speak
Spanish ... especially conjugations. I think that I am a B1 when I need to speak or
write. I think I am a C1 when I am reading or listening to Spanish. If you have a
question or if I can be of help to the team, let me know!

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6380 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 59 of 189
04 January 2013 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
¡Hola Fernando!

That is about the extent of my Spanish, so it will be nice to have someone more advanced around. Maybe I'll learn something this year.

Does anyone know, by-the-way, why I can make upside-down question marks and exclamation points in Word, but not here? I have to write things in Word and then copy them here if I want to be able to punctuate them correctly. It's not a huge problem, just something I was wondering.

fmmarianicolon
Diglot
United States
Joined 4106 days ago

28 posts - 30 votes

Message 60 of 189
04 January 2013 at 9:39pm | IP Logged 
Unsure why it's not copying over, but here are are two options for helping you
punctuate in both Word and here.

OPTION 1: ALT CODES
This is the option many people use since it's easier to print out or remember the
codes.

1. Turn on your NUMLOCK key.
2. Hold the ALT key.
3. While holding ALT, type the four-digit code of the character you want:

Letters
Á     ALT+0193   á       ALT+0225
É     ALT+0201   é       ALT+0233
Í     ALT+0205   í       ALT+0237
Ó     ALT+0211   ó       ALT+0243
Ú     ALT+0218   ú       ALT+0250
Ñ     ALT+0209   ñ       ALT+0241
Ü     ALT+0220   ü       ALT+0252

Other Symbols
¿     ALT+0191
¡     ALT+0161
º     ALT+0186 (Masculine Ordinal)
ª     ALT+0170 (Feminine Ordinal)
«     ALT+0171 (Left Angle Quote)
»     ALT+0187 (Right Angle Quote)
€     ALT+0128

The IME Option
This option will add the language bar to the bottom of your Windows screen. This
method requires you to make some changes in Control Panel. However, it's a faster
method in the long run because you're only using one key for things like ñ and ¡, or
two keys for the accented letters.

1. Go to the following website: http://www.coscom.co.jp/learnjapanese801/index.html
2. Follow the instructions on those pages to setup the IME for Japanese.   The
screenshots work great!
3. Repeat the steps to setup the IME for Spanish -- just choose Spanish (Spain ->
Keyboard -> Traditional).
4. After you turn on the options, the language bar will be in the bottom right of your
screen. You can use the On-Screen Keyboard (Start -> Accessories -> Ease of
Use/Accessibility) to help you learn the placement of the new keys .

Let me know if you have any questions!

Edited by fmmarianicolon on 04 January 2013 at 9:41pm

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6380 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 61 of 189
04 January 2013 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
Actually, I have the IME and it works in Word. It's just that it won't make upside-down punctuation here. I suppose I should have installed a different version. I'll try again later.

Edit: I change to a different IME and it worked here as well as in Word, so it´s OK now.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 04 January 2013 at 10:44pm

fmmarianicolon
Diglot
United States
Joined 4106 days ago

28 posts - 30 votes

Message 62 of 189
04 January 2013 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
Brun Ugle wrote:
Actually, I have the IME and it works in Word. It's just that it won't
make upside-down punctuation here. I suppose I should have installed a different version.
I'll try again later.

Edit: I change to a different IME and it worked here as well as in Word, so it´s OK now.

Fantastic! I just started playing with the IMEs in the last few weeks. It's quite fun
typing Spanish keyboard-style instead of running through the ALT codes.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6380 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 63 of 189
05 January 2013 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
This post is going to be very similar, but not 100% the same, to what I post on the Sakura thread. So if you're on both teams and think it looks familiar, that's why.

I've been watching some of the other teams to see how they are running things and to perhaps gather some inspiration. So far, both team Viking and team MIR have developed their own blogs and they and Sparta are working on small challenges that they can do together. I know LanguageSponge is planning to post a bunch of them on the Greek thread on Tuesday or so.

I'm not saying that we should necessarily do the same things, but I thought I would tell you about them and see what you think. If you want to do some challenges, I'm sure we could steal a few from LanguageSponge and the others and adapt them for Romance languages in addition to making some of our own. But if you want to make a blog, then someone else is going to have to do it. I'm not really experienced enough to do it very well.

Cristina and I think it's a shame that so many people expect most of the teams to lose most of their members and we want to do everything we can to prevent that. So anything anyone can think of to help the team to bond together would be very welcome. Sputnik kept half or more of its members last year, so they must be doing something right, so I don't feel bad about getting some inspiration from them. The others expect the Romulan team to fail do to the number of inexperienced members, but I think we can make it if we hold together and do whatever it takes to help each other.

I had already been intending to try to contact any member who disappeared for a while to see how they were doing, but Cristina also had some interesting ideas about what we all can do. Some of them are things we do anyway, but there are some interesting ideas there that I think we could have a look at. I know mrwarper has some fancy way to link to individual posts, but I couldn't figure out what he was talking about so I'll have to do it the old fashioned way. Just scroll down to post 264.

I'm sure you are a bunch of creative people so any ideas you come up with, don't be afraid to post them, so we can discuss them. There was a mention of using Skype for Spanish, but I think we could also use it in other ways. To begin with it could be nice to just use it in English in order to get to know each other better. The Russian team did the same thing. They started in English so they could get to know each other without the pressure of talking in a language that some of them barely knew. They also used other languages together, not just Russian and English, but other languages that various members had in common. People just chimed in whenever the conversation went over to a language they understood. It will be impossible to get the whole team together at once since we are in different time zones and have different commitments and schedules, but it would still be nice to gather whoever can make it whenever it can be arranged. If we are to do Skype, I think someone else needs to take care of arrangements because I don’t know enough to do it. I also don’t have a good internet connection right now, so I might not even be able to participate at first.

Do try to do a bit of brainstorming everyone. I’m sure we can come up with some brilliant ideas even if we don’t use them all.

I hope that this year we will not only be a solid team, but that we also can become good friends :D

Edited by Brun Ugle on 05 January 2013 at 3:39pm

PistolPete
Scotland
Joined 4142 days ago

28 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin, Italian

Message 64 of 189
05 January 2013 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
I'll share a fun learning thing I do. You take a song and translate it into your target language. It's a great way of picking up bits of vocabulary and using different language constructions. It doesn't have to be a particularly long song or have a great amount of lyrics - it's just a fun way to practise.

For example I'll take Queen's 'We are the Champions', Siamo Campioni, and translate into Italian.

You could also do it the other way round and use a song in a foreign language like Michel Teló's Ai Se Eu Te Pego and translate from Portuguese into English.

As a challenge we could all choose the same song, post our own translation of it, and then discuss and compare our translations. Why one chose certain words, used this particular phrasing (sounded more lyrical, it rhymes etc.).

This is also where language godfathers/mothers can play a key role. They can look and rate the translations pointing out mistakes, making suggestions (the language is too formal, use this idiom etc.)

I don't know if this sounds like too much work, but I think it's a great way to engage and have fun with the language you are learning.

This discussion contains 189 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version