brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6413 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 17 of 189
21 December 2012 at 9:18am | IP Logged 
Spanky wrote:
On the off-chance we ever feel the need for a team theme song, my nomination is the
following, also from Community:

the library is in big moustache

(I am not entirely sure how successful their study group had been by this point.)

Not exactly Star Trek themed, but so hilarious I think we might have to use it anyway.
1 person has voted this message useful

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6413 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 18 of 189
21 December 2012 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
Hola. Me llamo Janice. Vivo en Norwegia.
Hi! My name is Janice. I live in Norway.

And that’s the extent of my Spanish. And I’m not even sure it’s entirely correct. And I haven’t figured out how to make upside-down exclamation marks and question marks, so I had to use a period after Hola. By-the-way, around here Norwegia is the name of a cheese, so I’d better clarify that I don’t live in a house made of cheese.

I took Spanish in high school over 20 years ago, but that was back in the day when learning a foreign language consisted mostly of memorizing vocabulary and conjugating verbs. We only spoke perhaps a half a dozen times when the teacher would go around the room asking us questions about how many brothers and sisters we had or what color our hair was. I don’t know why she couldn’t figure that last one out herself since she was looking right at us.

I’m sitting here at my kitchen (a generous description) table sipping tea from a Star Trek mug as I write this. I have to admit though that it is a Federation mug, not a Romulan one. I hope that isn’t grounds for deportation. I was a real Trekkie when I was a teenager, but as I haven’t been to a Star Trek convention in about 20 years, I think I have to give up that title and call myself merely a fan. I do have probably about 100 Star Trek novels though, so that must count for something.

In addition to Star Trek, I’m a big fan of Harry Potter. I managed to read all 7 books in Japanese this year. It took 571 hours! I never thought I could tire of Harry Potter, and I didn’t really, but I think I might actually wait until the end of next year before I read the books again. Hopefully in Spanish this time. I’m hoping that learning Spanish will go much faster than Japanese. At least it has some words I recognize, and it uses the Latin alphabet (which is kind of boring though), and the grammar seems easier too. At least the words mostly go in the right order.

I also mentioned that I am insane. It’s quite true. I’ve met aliens and once invited a whole bunch of people on my spaceship. (Before you get excited, I should tell you that I don’t actually have a spaceship.) I also tried to build a talking horse out of old cheerios boxes and Christmas wrapping paper. It didn’t work. I just thought you might like to know since I write about these things in my log sometimes and you might want to know what I’m going on about. I also have an autism spectrum disorder (that which until the new diagnostic handbook comes out is also known as Asperger syndrome), hence the skills at organizing a bunch of people into teams and keeping track of everything. I have medicine now, in case you’re wondering.

I was recently forced to quit my job because of being a crazy autist, so I am going the freebie route to learning Spanish for now. I will be using FSI, Gloss and some old textbooks from the 70’s or so that I found. Although I live in Europe, I am learning Latin American Spanish. I’m originally from the US and I’m more likely to use Spanish when visiting there than I am around here. Also, European Spanish just sounds funny to me.

BTW, I joke around a good bit too, not as much as Spanky, but I try.

Edited by Brun Ugle on 21 December 2012 at 11:44am

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6413 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 19 of 189
21 December 2012 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
Doomsday seems to be scheduled for later in the day than I expected, so I will soon be taking off for a distant galaxy (my ex-husband's house), populated by strange and unusual life-forms (my ex and his cats), where curious rituals are performed involving killing trees and then humiliating them by hanging lights and colored baubles all over them.

So happy Christmas, everybody and don't eat too much junk food. Speaking of which, my pants are feeling oddly tight and Christmas hasn't even started yet. My knees always start to hurt whenever I think of squats or lunges, and my thighs expand whenever I think of cookies. It must be some kind of conspiracy.

And here is an interesting fact, though a thread on Romance languages might not be the right place for it, but it is at least sort of space related. In Norway, the time between Christmas and New Year's is called "romjul." Jul is, of course, Christmas (Yule). Rom means room or space, so romjul is the space between the holidays. Rom also means space in the other sense as in outer space. So have a spacy Christmas, fellow Romulans. (Actually, I'm not sure that was such an interesting fact after all.)

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4397 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 20 of 189
21 December 2012 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
@Brun Ugle, once again you've proven your excellent organisational and motivational
abilities here on HTLALF, THANK YOU for getting us back on track so that we can focus
on what we should.

@Spanky: I'm sure your input will help keep us motivated (and chuckling)in the coming
year, here's to a productive year of French learning!

A bit about me from the last thread:

My name is Liam, I'm 20 years old and living in
Dublin Ireland, but I'm from the west coast. I'm in the last year of my college course
so this time next year I'll be a qualified primary school teacher! Native speaker of
English,and advanced in Irish. My mother's side of the family are all native Irish
speakers but we(my siblings) weren't raised with Irish unfortunately!

This is my first time taking part in the TAC and so I'm not too sure of what to expect,
but I'm happy to have the chance to share information with fellow learners and so I'm
sure it'll be a great experience! I will be focusing on French this year, though I'll
also be part of the Celtic team.

TheGreaterFool
Pro Member
Canada
Joined 4165 days ago

65 posts - 78 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Modern Hebrew, French
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 189
21 December 2012 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
Spanky wrote:
I came across an interesting study tip that I will be trying out this
coming year:

bathroom breaks are already built into
the system

This is from Community, a wildly awesome TV show which (despite the many threats I have
made to the network) I have learned is not being continued beyond the coming 4th
season.

It features a community of individuals from differing backgrounds who are all taking
beginner level Spanish at college and who together form a study group with a view to
mutual advantage.

Any parallels to our present circumstances? Nah, just a coincidence…

TOO FUNNY! I love Community!...makes me want to watch them over again...

CMTM
United Kingdom
Joined 4341 days ago

28 posts - 36 votes
Studies: French

Message 22 of 189
21 December 2012 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
Hello, and thanks for organising so well! Now, for the bit about me. En español. ¡Hola!
Me llamo Connor y tengo una hermana. That´s all I know sadly. On the other hand, I have
just done an assessment in French at school, so that will be a bit lengthier; but I've
decided not to please you all by writing out 500 or so words; instead I might do one or
two sentences. Bonjour, je m'appelle Connor, mon anniversaire est le quinze août.
J'habite en Angleterre avec ma mère et ma soeur.

I only know that one sentence in Spanish, but I hope to turn that into much more! Now, to
explain myself in English. My name is Connor, and I live in England. My mother is Dutch,
and I'd like to learn that at some point, but first I want to focus on French and
Spanish! I am a complete newbie to Spanish and TAC, but I can put together some sentences
in French, albeit basic.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5854 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 23 of 189
21 December 2012 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
Olá.
Chamo-me Henrique e sou português. Faço parte deste grupo porque estou a aprender uma língua latina. Se quiserem, posso ajudar-vos com o português e também (se não aparecer ninguém mais qualificado) com o francês.

J'ai etudié le français au lycée pendant sept années et après une période sans pratique regulière j'ai travaillé pendant une douzaine d'années pour des boîtes françaises. Bossé dûr. J'arrive par conséquence à bien tirer mon épingle du jeu.

Como todos los portugueses, hablo castellano. O portunhol... no lo sé. Bueno. Hay que tener voluntad de continuar.

Vi scrivo questo perché sto imparando l'italiano. Faccio il livello B2 in questo momento. Vorrei essere a punto di parlare (molto) meglio nel fine 2013. Auguri a tutti. Ciao.

Edited by Luso on 21 December 2012 at 3:37pm

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4264 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 24 of 189
21 December 2012 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
I don't think you have anything to apologize about Brun Ugle; on the contrary, I think most of us have seen how many efforts you have put into organizing this challenge and putting an end to the bickering and we are grateful for it.

Right now, I am still pondering if I still want to do the TAC challenge. When I joined, I thought this challenge was about supporting each other, learning languages and having fun. However, in the recent days, every time I logged onto the forum, I just see more bickering, more criticizing, more arguing, more comments about how we are "disorganized LOL", how we don't know what we are doing etc etc even after you stepped in. I have even read someone posting about how she was certain we would fail. Reading non-constructive and unhelpful critics, labelling and predictions about our future failing is not why I registered to the challenge and it is certainly not something I am interested in. So today I logged on with the intention of explaining why I quit. However, I see that you have stepped in again and the people who loved arguing and bickering seem to have found a better way to occupy their time. So I'll ponder this a bit more and I will post here to say if I remain on the TAC challenge. I'll post my introduction then if I decide to stay.

I also have to take some time to mourn about the shocking news that Community will be over. however, once I get caught for the murder of whoever took that horrible decision, I should have a lot more free time on my hands :D

As for ideas of what we could do, I thought may be we could post about the traditions related to the holidays time in countries where Romance language are spoken or in our homelands. It could be a link to or the lyrics of Christmas songs, an explanations about what people traditionally do at this time of the year, a description or recipe of Christmas meal, a legend - for example, in the East of France, we have "St-Nicolas et le père fouettard" and in Italy, they have the "Befana" - etc. Basically, anything related to the culture in Romance-speaking countries (or your own country) and obviously, preferably in a Romance language.

Edited by Tsopivo on 21 December 2012 at 6:32pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 189 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version