Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4413 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 73 of 203
12 November 2013 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
Well, here's a quick update after a bit more than a week.

I'm in good way for some of my goals, but not all unfortunately.

1) finish 丁丁 (almost halfway, at page 30/62)
2) finish my jap book : only 11chapters left and I'm doing one a day (3-4 pages)
3) learn one Kanji per day : done only 2. I'm going to change that to 20 kanjis in
total. I have busy days and I don't consider this as so important. Anyway, even 20 will
be hard if I continue like this.
4) Read at least 15 news articles in Korean : read about 4-5 of different length and
difficulty. It's good that in my company's area I can get a free korean newspaper every
week!
5) Read at least 50 와라!편의점 : Read about 20-22 already. Definitely going to finish
this.
6) Write 3 times on Lang-8 for each language: Just wrote once in Japanese a translation
I did for work. I've got another one coming so that'll be one more. Same for Korean,
I've got one translation I just (re)started. I need to find motivation for Mandarin and
Norwegian.
7) 20 Assimil lessons in Norwegian.. Done 2.. I should step it up. But I'm getting
motivated again as I think I found a good way to use it.
8) Read 4 articles in Norwegian : about to do the first right now!

In general, I guess it's not that bad. I am doing other things as well (like exchanging
messages in Chinese everyday, at least once in Norwegian too; listening to NHK radio
once a day, doing Memrise once a day (got decks for Chinese and Norwegian), and doing
Anki reps).

Let's keep it up! And start looking seriously for my second internship too maybe.. Btw,
if anyone who reads that is looking (or knows someone who is) for someone in Marketing
for an internship.. don't hesitate to tell me! I'm up for anywhere in the World as long
as it's out of France! :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4413 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 74 of 203
17 November 2013 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
Well, I didn't study that much, and I am losing some of my "habits" but still going on
with the most important ones!

Let's check where I am at with the goals:
1) Tintin : at page 44 out of 62. I'll probably finish this week and then go on with
another Tintin comic I have.
2) jap book : only 5-6 chapters left so same thing, I'll start another book
afterwards.. or try to go back to 海辺のカフカ
3)Kanjis... total : 6. I need to start doing more
4) At 6-7 korean articles, It takes time and I have trouble finding the motivation
5) Read at total of 35
6) Wrote 2 for japanese and that's it. I'll try to write once in korean or chinese
tonight.
7) Done 3... but also did half a lesson of TY so I'll count that as 4 done (as TY
lessons are longer)
8) Articles in Norwegian : Read one only but loved it! Will read another one now!

Apart from that, still doing the same as last post but had trouble finding time to chat
in chinese or norwegian last week.

I'll also change my goal #7 and say 15 lessons of any book (TY counting as 2 lesson for
each full one). I plan on doing some På Vei.
1 person has voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4413 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 75 of 203
28 November 2013 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
Well now for my last update before the end of the month!
I have finished 3 goals : Reading one full comic Tintin in chinese, finish reading my Japanese book and read 50
"episodes" of the Korean manga.

As for the rest, I'm afraid I won't have the time to finish...
- I've given up on Kanjis (once more). I think putting a goal made it important and de-motivated me. I'll do it
from time to time (probably after finding my second internship)
- Korean articles : up to 10. Still doable, will try to finish this!!
- Lang-8: Haven't written anything else than my 2 japanese articles. Don't have time for it. But I'm writing in
Korean and Chinese everyday and a bit in Norwegian thanks to interpals!
- Assimil Norsk: i've GOT to find the time and motivation..
- Articles in norsk : read 2 and will try reading a third one tonight. And then another one on saturday!

I've also given myself one goal since the beginning of the month but forgot to write it here:
- Finish the Little Prince in Korean: only 4 pages left to go! :p

And I'd like to finish (or if not possible, just advance as much as possible) a book I have in Spanish. I'm up to
page 53-54 and it has 170pages more or less. It's doable, but I've got a really busy end of week coming up.
(working until midnight tomorrow and working the whole weekend...)

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5763 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 76 of 203
29 November 2013 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
I feel you on the kanjis! I recently tried once again to boost my kanji knowledge, and ended up deciding to take a break from Japanese altogether. I just can't face the thought of another two years of consistent kanji study. There are too many other things I would like to study instead...

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4413 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 77 of 203
01 December 2013 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I feel like trying to go back to kanjis kinda made you lose interest. I definitely
understand but I've taken the other way around. Ignore it and learn some when the
curiosity comes (ie. VERY rarely).
Still for some reason, I feel like you'll be back fighting japanese soon enough :p A good
break won't hurt, that's for sure!
And tell me when you want some talking in French! (or Japanese too :p )

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4413 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 78 of 203
02 December 2013 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
Well the month ended yesterday and I finished the last korean article to reach 15
today. Could call it a failure, but since I started a bit late in the month, I'll count
it as a success!
Failed for the reading in Norwegian. But the third one was rather long so I'm not too
sad about it.

I finished the Little Prince in Korean ! Basically, I believe it's the first thing I
really finished in Korean! Up until now, I had always given up in the middle of every
book, textbook, essay, etc. so everything related to reading/writing.
I'll now read small things until I find a second internship and then try a second book!
(any suggestion? I was thinking 엄마를 부탁해)

In the end, the only goals I have actually finished are all reading exercises. Still,
that is usually my biggest fail so thus my happiness as a conclusion for this month !

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4413 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 79 of 203
02 December 2013 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
As for December, I'll of course do the Team challenge in which I'll analyse my year and
talk about goals for 2014.
But as it worked out quite well in November, I'll fix some other extra goals as well:

- Read another Tintin fully in Chinese
- Read 20 articles in Korean
- Read 75 와라!편의점 in Korean
- Read 40 articles in Japanese
- Read 100 pages of a book in Japanese
- Read 4 Articles in Norwegian
- Do 10 lessons of Assimil Norwegian
- Study 4 grammar points of Korean(optional)
- Study 4 grammar points of Chinese (optional)

As you'll probably have seen, most of the goals I achieved last month have been pushed
a bit further to try to force me a bit and the ones (well... one.. Assimil) I failed
have been reduced to increase the incentive of finishing the challenge!

Oh, and of course, continue chatting everyday in Chinese and Korean, try to chat more
in Norwegian, and maybe try to start chatting again in Japanese!

Edited by yuhakko on 02 December 2013 at 12:14am

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 80 of 203
02 December 2013 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
yuhakko wrote:

I'll now read small things until I find a second internship and then try a second book!
(any suggestion? I was thinking 엄마를 부탁해)

I can't say much about 엄마를 부탁해, but I had a look at the first page and while it's not horribly difficult, it's certainly a jump from The Little Prince. Personally, I didn't like the writing style (it was written partly in 2nd person) and I'm not sure it would interest me enough to stick with it. That's all personal impression, though... Have you tried to read a few pages from the book? You can preview the first 20 pages of most recently published books at the Korean online bookstore yes24.com - that might be a good idea before you decide to buy something.

As for books I'd recommend - I thought children's stories were by far the best so far. Really enjoyed the Pippi Longstocking book I recently finished and some time ago a book about traditional Korean holidays and other special days. I'd also read more non-fiction if I could easily get that in Germany - I think that's a great way to learn useful vocab.

This discussion contains 203 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version