Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4952 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 105 of 203
12 January 2014 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
Congratulations yuhakko, you're right about giving Chinese top priority now! Good luck on
your internship and immersion!
1 person has voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5768 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 106 of 203
12 January 2014 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
Congratulations on your internship, that's great news. Good luck with Mandarin!

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4418 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 107 of 203
12 January 2014 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
Thank you to you three!! Don't worry, that doesn't mean I'll quit the other languages
anyway ;)

Well on this busy saturday, I've studied a lot of Chinese grammar in small spans as I
was celebrating Christmas with my cousins and such (we have a big family and usually
are too busy around the "real" Christmas). I tried to get a good understanding of the
把 and 被 sentences but I think the former will take me a bit more time than the latter
which is rather intuitive.
I've also watched one 快乐汉字. It was my first time but I liked it so I'll watch
another one before sleeping now.
Regarding preparing the conversation for asking my visa, I'm not really sure how to do
it actually. I'll try something tomorrow..

Apart from Chinese, no update for now but I'll have to (finally) write a card (in
Japanese and French) to my ex-flatmate as I bought her a card and gifts a (little)
while back... that means last August..
I've also started cleaning up my room and putting back in closets what I know I won't
take with me or resources I won't use before leaving. I'm afraid Norwegian has been
fully put on the side apart from the series that I already have and will watch later,
and same for Japanese for which the only thing I'm keeping out is the book I am
reading.

nandemonai
Diglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3959 days ago

101 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 108 of 203
12 January 2014 at 3:45am | IP Logged 
Congratulations, that's quite an achievement! You've achieved what I've been hoping to achieve in a few
years. I'll be following how you'll prepare your language study to make most out of your internship.

Good luck!

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4418 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 109 of 203
13 January 2014 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
@Nandemonai: Thanks ! Well for now, I thought of just pressing towards a maximum of
grammar points in a short time so that when I arrive there I won't be bugged by too
many new ones. I am also watching shows, listening to podcasts and having written
conversations as much as possible of course!

I've been studying about 5-6 grammar points per day for the past 3 days and most of
them I already knew or had heard of. A few were difficult and I'll get back to them
after going through all the basics I consider unavoidable.

For some reason, it seems I don't realize yet that in less that a month I'll be waking
up to go to work in Shanghai at that time.. I guess I'll only feel at peace when I have
my visa and internship contract all ready. Then it'll feel real. Stress stress stress..
我为什么这么紧张吗?这是我要做的事,我该 很高兴吧!

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4418 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 110 of 203
31 January 2014 at 1:41am | IP Logged 
Well well, busy month! I haven't updated much and that is due to many things happening
right now. Turns out getting a visa for China is NOT fun at all. I need a work permit
and it takes about a month and a half (+ the new year's holiday..) so I'm stuck in
France some more. I'm going to the south of France for 3 days on sunday for some kind
of training and after that I'll have about one month in Paris. Normally if all goes
well I should be in Shanghai before April (PLEASE!)

Good thing is, it gives me more time to prepare!

In the past 3 weeks, I haven't done ANY study of Korean nor Japanese. I have been
watching a lot of Japanese but nothing else. I've seen the 5-hour batsu game and
laughed like hell. The more I watch it, the better it gets. I've also started a morning
drama with Inoue Mao. a 15-minute episodes dramais exactly what I need before bed!

Apart from all that, I've actually ended up spending 1h30 on Catalan yesterday because
of Chung's link (not that it's a bad thing!). I'm probably gonna spend a bit of time on
it in the next weeks or months!

I've also re-started working on my Spanish. it's gotten more difficult to follow my
columbian friends when they talk and I believe my accent's gone for the worst. So I
started working on the Assimil Perfectionnement Espagnol. Slowly but surely.

I also did 2 lessons of Ainu and will put them in Anki tomorrow morning. This language
is incredible but for some reason, apart from the Japanese lessons I have, I cannot
find texts in Ainu nor anything else it seems.

Now for the most important: Mandarin!
I've slowed down my study of grammar patterns but not because I wanted it so I need to
start again.
I found a great new webstie called imandarinpod and have worked on a few texts but
definitely not enough so I need to speed up!
To tell you the truth, I believe that most of what I did was getting back to a chinese
mode. Ok, that's important, but definitely not enough. Tomorrow, I'll be writing my
presentation in Chinese and that'll be the beginning of more pro-active study.

One another note: I've created a website and will be putting updates there as well.
Over there, I'll certainly try to separate my 3 main languages but I don't really know
for sure. I've got a blog part where I'll put all my new updates as well so I figured I
should just link that for now : Languages
Are Everything In Life

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4418 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 111 of 203
28 February 2014 at 12:26am | IP Logged 
I can't believe I just spent a month without posting. LIfe has gotten busy with my new
job and preparation to leave for Shanghai (although a lot is still left to be taken
care of)

I'll try (for once) to do a quick update :

Japanese: I've watch a lot of episodes of Asa Drama (Ohi sama) and am currently
at episode 57. 15min is the perfect amount of time I need to keep up my japanese
listening. I've also restarted reading in order to finish the book I had started in the
begining of the year and although I thought I wouldn't finish, it turned out to be a
rather easy read. I now have about 15pages to be read and will most likely finish
tomorrow. I've only been reading in the subway without a dictionary so I missed some
details but it's alright (for now at least).

Korean: Just did some Anki everyday and listened to a lot of유인나의볼륨을높여요.
About one episode per 2 days. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I also restarted chatting
with some friends but not much.

Ainu: Did 2 lessons and entered them in Anki. The basic vocab is starting to
sink in so that's a good sign.

Catalan: Did one more lesson and then nothing afterwards but it felt good.

Chinese:
Well I have watched a few episodes of the Ant Tribe and read a bit of a text about
learnign languages put a while back by Lorinth (Thx Ninibo and Lorinth!). Also watched
a show about accents in English found on HTLAL (Thanks Shk00design!) Apart from that I
listened to a few podcasts here and then and studied a few
more texts here and there also. Not a really good preparation but still.
I've also started learning vocab for my job and now also know how to write the company
name in Chinese (might be useful I guess :p)
For the challenge, I haven't found time yet, but I'll do it saturday I guess (I know,
late again.. >..<)

That's about it! I'll try not to slack of now! Just gotta catch on quite a few logs and
I'll be good to go!

Edited by yuhakko on 28 February 2014 at 12:35am

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4654 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 112 of 203
28 February 2014 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
Good to see your update :) Listening to so much Korean will probably give your listening skills a very noticeable boost if you keep it up for a couple of months. I'm also listening mostly to 유인나의 볼륨을 높여요 at the moment, I'm getting a lot out of the show these days.

This discussion contains 203 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version