Joined 4419 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 121 of 203
08 March 2014 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
@Expugnator: Thanks! I'll try, yeah!

Well, it's now H-4 !

In exactly 4hours and 20 minutes, I'll be leaving France! About time! I still can't
believe it but I'm pretty much ready. I did everything written above although I stopped
reading the Chinese reader one chapter away from the end because of lack of time.

Anyway, I've talked about it for almost 2 months now so it's time to go forit and use
my chinese as much as possible!

I'll be giving some news as soon as I can of course!

Arrival predicted : 星期天上午9点50分(上海时区)
1 person has voted this message useful

Ninibo
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 3803 days ago

88 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 122 of 203
08 March 2014 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
Have fun in China!
2 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5769 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 123 of 203
08 March 2014 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with your move to China!

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4419 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 124 of 203
15 March 2014 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
Alright! I've arrived safe and sound in 上海! Quite a lot's happened since I arrived
but let's go through everything bit by bit.

The plane: Went pretty smoothly. The person next to me took a bit too much space in the
plane so I had trouble sleeping but in the end it helped me not having too much trouble
with jetlag.

The airport: Did everything in English in order to be sure not to make any mistake as
it was pretty important. The "inspection dog" smelling bags stayed a long time on mine
so I got scared a bit but in the end, it didn't get taken. (probably my tobacco for my
e-cigarette). I was kind of surprised by this inspection dog though. Is it common in a
lot of countries?

The first day: got lost (and it;s not the only time I did). Got off at 人民广场 instead
of taking another metro. So I walked for 1h30 before finally getting to the guesthouse.
After checking in, I went to buy some instant noodles and while eating ended up talking
to a chinese... in Spanish! His major was Spanish so he wanted to practice and I
thought it'd be easier than Chinese. After 1h30 talking, he left and I went back to my
room for a while and met the others in my room : 3 chinese who didn't speak a word of
English. Result : spent the rest of my time with them (especially one) talking in
Chinese. 5h of Mandarin in a row. I had to go out after 4h to get some fresh air and
let my head rest a bit. It hurt like hell. But good thing is: it kept me awake until
11:30pm and I could sleep at a normal hour.

Afterwards: Next few days went fine. Work was interesting and freaking difficult at the
same time. In the evening on Monday and Tuesday I talked chinese for 3-4 hours and went
to visit one place with the Chinese guy from my room.
On wednesday I went to visit a houseshare with 2 french, one Italian and one Chinese
(the Italian speaks chinese). They have all been living in Shanghai for 3 to 5 years.
It went great but they couldn't let me know whether I could get in.

Thursday: Same as monday and tuesday : work and then 3-4 hours of Chinese talk.

Friday: work and then went to eat and then drink with the people from the 2nd place I
visited. 3 of their friends (2 Italian and one chinese) were there and turns out that
one of the 2 Italians is a translator for Japanese and Chinese. So I talked a bit in
Japanese with him and used a bit my chinese as well.

Saturday : Had planned to change guesthouse (no rooms left for the other one) and go to
the bank. Result: met 2 chinese in the street who took me to a tea house. I felt sth
was off but went with it. We had an incredible tea experience and got to know about
what each had special, etc. But at the end she showed the total price of 1200元。I had
ony 100 left.. So one of them payed the rest for me and we went to the bank where... my
card got eaten by the machine! So I didn't give them back anything.. and went to a
different bank alone get a bit of money. I'm pretty sure they were trying to rip my off
for some reason. Is there anyone who knows who much it costs usually?
And tonight I got a message to tell me I'm in for the apartment so I'm moving in
tomorrow!

Sum-up:
- a LOT of practice for Chinese speaking and listening comprehension.
- a LOT of reading practice from signs, ads, weixin messages I saw in the metro (yeah I
read other people's weixin :p) and apartment descriptions online.
- A bit of Chinese writing practice with Weixin.
- A 2-3 episodes of 유인나's podcast and one 2h30 other korean podcast.
- One episode of 니하오코리아 (fully chinese podcast)
- NO japanese nor Korean reading practice
- A bit of Kakaotalk for Korean written conversation
- 1 Korean Movie with Chinese subs.

Plan for the following week: Now that I don't have to look for a place -->
- Read a LOT of Chinese. I have to catch up.
- Listen to at least 3 Korean podcasts
- Practice practice practice speaking Chinese.
- Re-start the 15-min episodes of 朝ドラ before sleeping.
- Read at least 1 chapter of Japanese.
4 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4655 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 125 of 203
15 March 2014 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
Sounds like you're going to have a great time!

Do you use Chinese for your work as well? Or any other of your foreign languages?

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 126 of 203
15 March 2014 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
yuhakko wrote:
Alright! I've arrived safe and sound in 上海! Quite a lot's happened since
I arrived but let's go through everything bit by bit.

Am I correct in assuming that means "Shanghai" since it reads as "상해 (sang-hae)" in
Korean? (I love trying to decode Chinese via Hanja. It doesn't always work out as a one-to-
one mapping, but at least it gives me an excuse to actively utilize all the Hanja I spend so
much time learning.)

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4419 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 127 of 203
30 March 2014 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
@Warp3: Indeed you're right! :) Truth is that when I told one of my korean friends I
was going to Shanghai, she answered "상해?! 진짜로?!" and that's when I realized that
indeed that's how we pronounce those characters in Korean ^^

Well well, after 3 weeks in Shanghai and a quarter into the year, I guess it's time to
see where I stand. Warning: this will be long. I'll first update language wise and
tomorrow my impressions of China.

Japanese: ups and downs.
Reading: I did read quite a lot before coming to china but nothing since I
arrived so for the past 3 weeks. I have just bought a packs of stuff including a book
called ツナグ earlier today though and will read it a bit after this post (read 3 pages
for now).
Listening, I have found a GREAT tool for improving Chinese while keeping using
the others (a post will come in the Chinese team's log tomorrow) and I've been watching
City Hunter in Jap subtitled in Chinese. Up to episode 25 in a (busy) week. I did watch
a lot of stuff before coming here also.
Oral Conversation: a few before coming to China and once since I've arrived at a
conference with potential prospects.
Written Conversation: Pretty bad. Almost non existent. I did talk to my ex-
flatmate earlier today in Japanese though but it just showed me how much I've
regressed.
JLPTN1 Objective: A bad start for now. Although As you can see in the picture at
the bottom, I bought 3 books related to that.
- One is a list of the grammar points for the N1 explained in Chinese with some
examples. I plan on using it mostly as a list to refer (why not buy it when it's only
about 1.75€? :p).
- One is a book of 2000 words for the N1. Translations in Korean, Chinese, English and
same for the examples. I've never worked through such a book before so we'll see how it
goes. (again, why not buy it when it's only 3.75€?)
- And probably the most useful, a book of mock tests to practice. I might buy some more
afterwards considering the price (3.50€ while in france it was minumum 30-35€).

Korean: Listening listening listening...
Reading: Not so much.. Actually almost nothing. Just some words, parts of
articles.
Listening: Did a LOT of listening since the beginning of the year. At least 30-
45 podcasts from 유인나, and a few others as well. I've watched a few movies in Korean
as well. And I plan on watching more when I finally figure out a stable schedule.
Oral Conversation: Non existent.
Written Conversation: I talk a few times a week with some korean friends but
nothing out of the ordinary.
Goals 2014: Bad bad start. Obviously, this is normal considering my situation,
but I still don't like it. I've realized that I'm never gonna pass the TOPIK this year
so I guess I'll first have to actually start learning Korean one day. When I
started it, I was quite proud of my rapid learning, but turns out it was too sporadic
and thus now I have basic holes that I need to fill and it's just so darn hard to find
the motivation to go back to the beginner level.

Ainu: Not forgotten, the "new year" of lesson is gonna start next week so I
reviewed a bit what I know already this past week.

Mandarin:
Reading: I've been having a shit load of reading around me everyday so that's
not really a problem. I am having troubles finding the time to properly study what I
read though. The only real reading study I've been doing is in the metro, looking a the
ads, I'll try to read perfectly what's written. That includes drawing the character on
Pleco and understanding how the sentence is built so rather nice. I have finished
reading my 3rd (or 4th?) Tintin in order to finish the month's goal. As you can see in
the picture at the bottom, I also bought 3 bilingual books for learning English which
I'll use the other way around. They are so cheap I might go buy the rest of the
collection afterwards (the 3 books for a total of 3.5€)
Listening: A lot everyday in the street, restaurants and now that a new chinese
is coming to work with us surely there too. I've also been listening to 你好韩国, a 30-
minute-long podcast about many aspects of Korea. I do want to get more active listening
during conversations but I lost contact with that (weird) Chinese guy who helped me the
first days so I need to find some other people.
Written Conversation: A bit here and there through Weixin mostly. I should
start using Weibo more.
Oral Conversation: As just said, I need to find someone to talk to in Chinese
some more because it'd be too bad to come here and not improve conversation-wise. This
week the only conversations I've had were with people in shops telling me "your chinese
is good" Although they were having trouble understanding me. (Just today a I was asking
were the Japanese books were and the girl kept telling me: "well right here" in chinese
and after a while a chinese guy told me "you can tell me in Japanese" so I switched and
he translated". When I left I heard the girl say I spoke rather well Chinese..)
Goals 2014: Getting up to speed. Definitely gonna reach them if I continue like
this but I'd like to not only reach them but destroy them, so more work is required!

English: I've been learning words and acronyms related to the technical field I
got myself in.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find out how to add a picture here. Is there someone who
knows how to do?

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4655 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 128 of 203
30 March 2014 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
yuhakko wrote:
Unfortunately, I couldn't find out how to add a picture here. Is there someone who knows how to do?

(IMG)link(/IMG) - replace round brackets with square ones.

I can understand your lack of motivation for going back to studying the basics and filling holes. I actually feel the same with Korean. Ever since I stopped attending classes I have not studied grammar regularly. I learned what I needed immediately, but there's a lot I have to revise. After a long time I'm finally motivated to get over that hurdle once and for all and plan to work through Korean Grammar in Use Intermediate and Advanced at the same time. Those books seem quite a good choice for filling holes. Although I guess most of it could be had for free in some form or another, I just can't be bothered anymore to locate all that information on the net.

This discussion contains 203 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version