Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4410 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 129 of 203
04 April 2014 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
@Druckfehler: Actually, more than studying the basic grammar, it's basic vocabulary. I
can tell you rather "difficult words" while some really basic ones I won't remember.
That's where it's tough to go back to basics.
The thing is, since when I started I studied a tiny bit in 2 months and then went
straight to intermediate level classes at the Korean Culture Center, I kinda skipped
the basic vocab. I did do the grammar thanks to TTMIK (although I probably have some
holes as well) but vocab is my biggest one.

Oh thanks as well for the info on how to add a picture but.. What if the picture is not
online? Do I need to put it up online first?

Well, my "how's Shanghai update" will be coming this weekend in the end.
1 person has voted this message useful

proudft
United States
Joined 4931 days ago

124 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 130 of 203
04 April 2014 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
yuhakko wrote:

Result: met 2 chinese in the street who took me to a tea house. I felt sth
was off but went with it. We had an incredible tea experience and got to know about
what each had special, etc. But at the end she showed the total price of 1200元。I had
ony 100 left.. So one of them payed the rest for me and we went to the bank where... my
card got eaten by the machine! So I didn't give them back anything.. and went to a
different bank alone get a bit of money. I'm pretty sure they were trying to rip my off
for some reason. Is there anyone who knows who much it costs usually?

I'm behind on reading logs but yeah, this is a thing. I had heard about it on a Chinesepod lesson - here's some travelers talking about it: Teahouse Scam

But thanks to your card getting eaten I guess you got off not too badly (assuming you get your card back at some point)! Adventure! :P

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4410 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 131 of 203
27 April 2014 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
@Proudft:Haha Thanks! Indeed I got told after that it is a famous thing around here.
Along with the Sex massage scam I heard. I didn't get my card back, they cut it in half
because my bank blocked it after giving me a new one ;)

Alright an update is long due:
Japanese: I've read my new book until page 80 or sth in about a week or so and
then stopped. Japanese books here are weirdly expensive so I figured I should keep it
for the Super Challenge. I've continued watching City Hunter in Japanese subtitled in
Mandarin for a while but now I'm just watching 2 or 3 episodes a week. I've also
created a new deck on Anki with words from the N1 vocab book I bought. I've only input
85 words for now but I've actually gone through more thanks to knowing much more than I
thought. I've tried going through the mock tests book but on the contrary, it's full of
way too difficult stuff.

Korean: Read a few articles about 신의 선물 - 14일, saw the first 2 episodes of
it. Unfortunately I kinda stopped with the podcasts. But while writing this, I am now
downloading some on my phone so I'll start again. I also talked a bit in Korean with my
chinese penpal at a bar friday evening (we usually just talk in Korean when we want
others not to understand :p). Today, I also woke up remotivated for korean (for some
reason) and as a result, I've studied 4 expressions from Catch the wave, prepared some
articles of Korean for later and will study more in a coffee shop later today.

Ainu: The lessons have started an I have been following them each week. The good
thing is I already know most of what is said so it's not too intense. I'll write down
the lines from this week's lesson on my notebook in the coffee shop later.

Mandarin: Well Well.. My speaking and understanding have definitely gotten
better since I've had quite a few fully mandarin conversations and even asked questions
in chinese at an exhibition (regarding R&D centers in china and details about them.) I
do believe that I should be much better now though. I've been watching all sorts of
things subbed in Mandarin (went twice to the movies btw) and much more is making sense.
BUT, I am still pissed at myself for my horrible intonation...

English: I got asked to do a transcript of a 20 min video in French and
translate it in English and finally dub it so it's gonna make me learn loads of
technical words (had never heard of stuff like alloys in English for instance). I've
also started to realize how I have picks of British accent coming and going along the
days. I guess I should thank my previous British coworkers.

Super Challenge Goals:
Japanese : Full --> The hardest part will surely to stay consistent but also to get my
hands on stuff to read.
Chinese: Half (but hoping to do more) --> I'll definitely see enough for half and
surely for a full challenge. I just hope I finish early enough my Japanese part to be
able to focus on Chinese fully afterwards.
Korean: Half Half --> I guess I'll be reading loads of small things that I'll compile
in pages of Word in order to count. At the end I'll surely turn more to books but not
for the beginning. Also I'm happy to have something to push me back into watching stuff
in Korean. I've been missing it but having trouble to find time. Now, no more choice.

Regarding the Shanghai update, it'll come soon.. I promise..!

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4410 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 132 of 203
27 April 2014 at 11:52am | IP Logged 
@Proudft:Haha Thanks! Indeed I got told after that it is a famous thing around here.
Along with the Sex massage scam I heard. I didn't get my card back, they cut it in half
because my bank blocked it after giving me a new one ;)

Alright an update is long due:
Japanese: I've read my new book until page 80 or sth in about a week or so and
then stopped. Japanese books here are weirdly expensive so I figured I should keep it
for the Super Challenge. I've continued watching City Hunter in Japanese subtitled in
Mandarin for a while but now I'm just watching 2 or 3 episodes a week. I've also
created a new deck on Anki with words from the N1 vocab book I bought. I've only input
85 words for now but I've actually gone through more thanks to knowing much more than I
thought. I've tried going through the mock tests book but on the contrary, it's full of
way too difficult stuff.

Korean: Read a few articles about 신의 선물 - 14일, saw the first 2 episodes of
it. Unfortunately I kinda stopped with the podcasts. But while writing this, I am now
downloading some on my phone so I'll start again. I also talked a bit in Korean with my
chinese penpal at a bar friday evening (we usually just talk in Korean when we want
others not to understand :p). Today, I also woke up remotivated for korean (for some
reason) and as a result, I've studied 4 expressions from Catch the wave, prepared some
articles of Korean for later and will study more in a coffee shop later today.

Ainu: The lessons have started an I have been following them each week. The good
thing is I already know most of what is said so it's not too intense. I'll write down
the lines from this week's lesson on my notebook in the coffee shop later.

Mandarin: Well Well.. My speaking and understanding have definitely gotten
better since I've had quite a few fully mandarin conversations and even asked questions
in chinese at an exhibition (regarding R&D centers in china and details about them.) I
do believe that I should be much better now though. I've been watching all sorts of
things subbed in Mandarin (went twice to the movies btw) and much more is making sense.
BUT, I am still pissed at myself for my horrible intonation...

English: I got asked to do a transcript of a 20 min video in French and
translate it in English and finally dub it so it's gonna make me learn loads of
technical words (had never heard of stuff like alloys in English for instance). I've
also started to realize how I have picks of British accent coming and going along the
days. I guess I should thank my previous British coworkers.

Super Challenge Goals:
Japanese : Full --> The hardest part will surely to stay consistent but also to get my
hands on stuff to read.
Chinese: Half (but hoping to do more) --> I'll definitely see enough for half and
surely for a full challenge. I just hope I finish early enough my Japanese part to be
able to focus on Chinese fully afterwards.
Korean: Half --> I guess I'll be reading loads of small things that I'll compile
in pages of Word in order to count. At the end I'll surely turn more to books but not
for the beginning. Also I'm happy to have something to push me back into watching stuff
in Korean. I've been missing it but having trouble to find time. Now, no more choice.

Regarding the Shanghai update, it'll come soon.. I promise..!

Edited by yuhakko on 27 April 2014 at 11:53am

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4410 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 133 of 203
18 May 2014 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
Well, I don't have much free time nowadays between work and going out. Shanghai is
really a city were everything goes fast. Time flies so fast here I can't believe it. I
guess I won't have much time to study languages properly until I'll be back because my
(already busy) is getting busier and busier each week. All I'm finding time to do with
languages is listening during my everyday travels and seeing a bit of videos here and
there. I don't have the energy to properly study and although I am starting to miss it,
I can't stop my life here.

Anyway, here comes a rather quick update.

Japanese:
I've been reading bits during my evening commute but way not enough. I've also been
watching a few animes each week (6 episodes per week) and read 2-3 articles per week.
Not much, definitely not enough but better than nothing I guess.
I've also met some Japanese at a salsa bar where I go every sunday evening. I've skyped
once my ex flatmate so we talked a bit in Japanese as well. And today, I'll go see a
colleague who's meeting up with 2 jap people (one not speaking a word of English nor
chinese). Finally some real practice!

Korean:
Unfortunately, still not much. Just some podcasts here and there but nothing more.
Luckily, almost all the American TV shows I watch are finishing their seasons so I'll
switch that to K-dramas. I've also practiced a bit with some friends here and there. It
seems I still can converse in Korean. And finally, my penpal is coming back to Shanghai
so I'll go have a dinner at her place with her Korean flatmates so good practice coming
up!

Ainu:
No much, just did the anki because I didn't find the energy to put the mp3 files on my
phone but I just did it today so on my way back later this afternoon, I'll listen to
lesson 4

Chinese:
And finally Mandarin. I've been reading tons in the street and using it more and more,
but still I should have improved more by now I think. Problem is: I'm surrounded with
French and foreigners so, not a good environment. At a houseparty yesterday some cops
came to tell us to make less noise and I was the one who talked with them. Was pretty
proud of myself I have to admit :p
I've watched quite a few movies in English subtitled in Chinese and 1 the other way
around. I think my listening skills are getting better but my production ones are
still...

I have another news related to after my time here, but I'll try to post it tonight when
it will get fully confirmed.

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4410 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 134 of 203
18 May 2014 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
Alright, About to go to bed, but just a quick update to say that I'll be going to Korea
in August before going back to France! I'll be there for at least a week and after that
either I'll stay a few more days or go to Japan! Korea is already confirmed but Japan
still has to be!

If anybody wanna meet up, tell me! ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4646 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 135 of 203
18 May 2014 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
Sounds great! Good that you're doing a tour before returning home :) Actually, I'll be in Korea as well in August. Meeting up would be fun! As Tarko also lives there, it might even be possible to have something like a mini team Gumiho meetup.

Have you been to Korea before? Any plans about where you want to go and what you want to see?

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4410 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 136 of 203
02 June 2014 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
네! 만나자! :)

네, 한국에 벌써 두번 갔어요. 첫번째는 두달반 정도 있고, 두번째는 이주일 정도 있었요. 근데 두번째
는 그냥 친구들 만나러 가서 별로 구경을 별로 안 했어요. 첫번째는 서울, 전주, 부산, 광주 (재가 재
일 좋아하는 도시)에 갔어요. Druckfehler도 가번 적 있었죠?

언제부터, 언제까지 있을거에요? 저는 9일에 서울에 도착하고 16일까지 프랑스인 친구 한명 있을태니까
구경을 많이 하고 한국어 연습할 시간 별로 없을 것 같은데 친구가 프랑스에 돌아가기 뒤에 한국에 다
른 곳에 가고 시간을 더 있을 것 같애요.

돈과 시간이 있으면 Tarko가 말했던 섬에도 갈 수도 있어요~. 아무튼 구미호팀 미팅 할수 있으면 짱 좋
겠당~! ㅎㅎ

This discussion contains 203 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version