Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 203
31 December 2012 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
You must indeed be the first one I have ever come across who found Norwegian to be more difficult than
Mandarin, Korean and Japanese, but I can relate to the "being used to Asian languages". Besides, as your
fairy Godmother on team Viking I will help you realise that Norwegian is a piece of cake :-) Do not hesitate to
ask me about anything, big or small, I will answer everything I can.

I had a hard time when I started learning French too, but since you know English, you will recognise a lot of
words from there. And the only foreigner who I have ever met whose Norwegian was so good that my jaw
dropped, was a Frenchman.

So best of luck!
1 person has voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4414 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 10 of 203
02 January 2013 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
@G-bod : Right? That feeling that you can FINALLY do it and feel pleasure in it is
incredible I think. Good luck for N2. If this time you don't pass (we never know, you
might have! And I hope you did of course), next time will be right one!

@Bakunin : Thank you! It is quite long but unfortunately every year, I end up trying my
best to stop that crazyness that is continuing getting dispersed like but I end up just
losing time and energy for nothing because I can help myself but go on. So this year,
I've decided to get serious about it! I'll probably write often about Murakami here
until I finish this book so you'll be able to see my opinion! For now with new years
eve yesterday and moving tomorrow to a new town, I haven't had time to continue but
from the 15pages or so read, I feel like I am going to dive into this book quickly!

@Cristina : Thank you so much! And be ready because unfortunately for you, I might
bother you a lot then! Well, to tell you the truth, Norwegian has a weird effect on me:
in a matter of 15minutes I can go from "This is impossible" to "This language is too
easy!", or the other way around too. I see the connection to English sometimes and it
is indeed quite pleasant. Anyway, now 2013 is upon us and It is time to dive in again!
Tomorrow or the day after, I'll print some Norwegian related things and then let myself
go down the slope of learning Norwegian seriously!

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4414 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 11 of 203
02 January 2013 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
Quick quick update to say that unfortunately because of new year's eve having been done
in my house, I had to clean-up today and afterwards prepare everything to move to Rouen
tomorrow morning. As a result, my very first day got quite empty "language-related"ly
talking.

Well I did have 10Japanese friends to whom I only talk in Japanese from 6pm yesterday to
1pm today, but that wasn't proper study so I don't know if I can count that in. Anyway,
that taste of Japan got me nostalgic from my exchange life a bit...

Well, anyway : 明けましておめでとうございます! 새해 복 많이 받으세요! 新年快乐!Godt
Nyttår!

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5129 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 12 of 203
06 January 2013 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
Hi yuhakko!

I wish you good luck with TAC 2013.

It will be interesting to follow your journey in an arguably “easy” language like Norwegian after succeeding with Asian languages. You will certainly offer perspective to all of us who dream to tackle Japanese or Chinese after a modest success in Romance or Germanic languages. Let us know if the experience is even in the same ball park.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 13 of 203
06 January 2013 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
yuhakko wrote:

@Cristina : Thank you so much! And be ready because unfortunately for you, I might
bother you a lot then!

Bring it on :-)

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5008 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 14 of 203
06 January 2013 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
Still with the round of welcome messages -- hello, good luck, etc ;)
yuhakko wrote:
Well I did have 10Japanese friends to whom I only talk in Japanese from 6pm yesterday to 1pm today, but that wasn't proper study so I don't know if I can count that in.
As a rule of thumb, the answer to that question should be the same as to any of the following: did you learn any new word / expression / grammar rule? did any of them correct you so you don't make that mistake any more?

Gosiak
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4908 days ago

241 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Norwegian, Welsh

Message 15 of 203
06 January 2013 at 7:11am | IP Logged 
Hello :) and good luck with reaching all your goals, I'm impressed by your success in Asian languages, after that Norsk should be easy.
Go Vikings!

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6402 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 16 of 203
06 January 2013 at 8:06am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:

yuhakko wrote:
Well I did have 10Japanese friends to whom I only talk in Japanese from 6pm yesterday to 1pm today, but that wasn't proper study so I don't know if I can count that in.
As a rule of thumb, the answer to that question should be the same as to any of the following: did you learn any new word / expression / grammar rule? did any of them correct you so you don't make that mistake any more?

My rule of thumb is more: How well do I know this language? I don't count talking to friends as "study" if the language is Norwegian since I'm already at a C2 level. But if I were to try speaking in Japanese, that would definitely be study. In reality it is pretty much the same as mrwarper's rule though. I'm not likely to learn anything more about Norwegian from a casual conversation, but I am guaranteed to improve my Japanese even just talking about the weather.

This discussion contains 203 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version