1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 153 of 203
29 September 2014 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
yuhakko wrote:
Does anybody know if you can go to a neighbouring country to take the
JLPT?

SOAS in London offer the JLPT twice a year (July & December). You could email them and
ask whether you are allowed to take the test in London even if your address is in France.
My guess would be yes (I'm sure I've seen people say they've done this, either on their
blogs or here). But SOAS should know for sure. There are other sites throughout Europe so
maybe Germany, Switzerland or Italy might be a better fit for you?
2 persons have voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4554 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 154 of 203
30 September 2014 at 6:11am | IP Logged 
Not all countries have a JLPT testing site, so it is possible to take it in another country. I think my Norwegian acquaintances studying Japanese all took it either in Copenhagen or in Japan. What is expressly forbidden is signing up for the test in more than one place.
2 persons have voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4414 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 155 of 203
30 September 2014 at 11:52am | IP Logged 
Thanks! I guess I'll check up on that! I've already seen that it seems there's one site in Hambourg which might be easier than London. I guess we'll see.
I know it's possible to try the JLPT in another country (I got my N2 in Japan), but it's more about the address. Anyway, I don't even know whether I should try in July as from January I'll be properly looking for a job (and especially in Asia) so if I register and end up moving, I'd be pissed again.

Well well, time will tell.
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4650 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 156 of 203
30 September 2014 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
Good to read that you got back well and have time to study and update again! Too bad the JLPT didn't work out :( It sucks to have to wait a whole year... But I guess if you end up working in Asia, you'll have a lot more options for taking those tests.

Are you going to post pictures or a list of the titles you bought? I'm very curious which Korean books you got.

yuhakko wrote:
I even met Druckfehler there one day
and we went together to the language cast meetup! (btw she's incredibly good at
Korean). 만나서 반가웠어~ 그리고 책을 줘서 다시 고마워~ 아직도 시작 못했는데 곧 읽어볼껭 ㅎ

나도 엄청 반가웠어~ 다시 기회가 생기면 또 만나자 ^^
(I'm sure the immersion-induced fluency fooled you :D)

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4554 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 157 of 203
30 September 2014 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
I don't think the address should be an issue either - I've taken the JLPT in Moscow twice, both times indicating my official Saint Petersburg address, and nobody questioned that. Although last time they somehow failed to deliver the certificate to Saint Petersburg and returned it to the Moscow office, but I guess that was probably more of an issue of the Russian postal service than Japan Foundation. It's still probably a good idea to contact the test site in advance and ask them if they can mail certificates internationally.

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4414 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 158 of 203
01 October 2014 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
@Druckfehler: Yeah, You'll find the pictures hereunder ;) However there are two other
books that I didn't have with me when I took those pictures : 나는 나를 파괴할 권리가 있
다 and 좋은 생각 (which is a collection of small one or two pages articles about
positive stuff, supposed to be read 2 pages a day). Those are rather famous books it
seems and I had a Korean friend with me when I bought them who confirmed that they
were good ones.
As you'll see on the picture, one book is yours actually ㅋㅋㅋ

@VonPeterhof: oh that's good news! Then I guess it should be alright! I'll contact
some testing sites when it's time then.

Apart from that, good news! I finished my book ツナグ. It was about a person who allows
people alive to meet one person dead. However there is a limit that you can only meet
once one person when you're alive and the person dead can only meet once one person
alive. It's a collection of 4 stories which connect more and more and the fifth one is
about the person connecting them. The stories of why each person meets the other are
totally different and the meeting in itself as well.
In a nutshell, I liked this book which finally gave me the confidence that I could
read without a dictionary at all.

As a result, I start this morning my next book which is : ノルウェイの森. This is one of
Murakami's books so when I'll finish it, I'll be (hopefully) at a good reading level
considering that his books include loads of complicated kanjis. (Already seen about
10-15 unknown ones in the first 10 pages).

Apart from that, Renate's message finally motivated me to upload the pictures of books
brought back from Korea and China so here we go! (There are about 5-6 more Chinese
related books, 2 more in Korean as said above, and 4-5 in Japanese). If there's any
question related to any of those, don't hesitate!

Japanese:

Korean:

Chinese:

Edit: How do you put pictures on here?! I tried with the (IMG)link(/link) (with square
brackets) but it doesn't seem to work...

Edited by yuhakko on 03 October 2014 at 2:17pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4650 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 159 of 203
02 October 2014 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
It's (IMG)url(/IMG), but I guess that might have been a typo... where did you upload the pictures? Since I
dosee those blue little questionmarks indicating there should be a picture here, maybe something's wrong
with the url?

I'm looking forward to you reading 나는 나를 파괴할 권리가 있다! It was actually the first Korean novel I read -
around this time last year. Back then my reading skills weren't all that good and it felt more like doing
charades or sudoku than reading :D but with frequent help of a dictionary and intensive guesswork I did
get something out of it. It's nice and short, at least ;) Pretty heavy subject matter... even with my infomplete
understanding it was sometimes hard to continue. But it seemed really well-written and yes, quite well-
known, so definitely worth reading. Epecially if you're into cars - lots of car vocabulary in there.

Actually, I'm very curious how I'd fare with it at my current level, so I might read it again. We could even
start reading together, kind of like a book club :) It would be fun to have someone I can talk with about the
Korean literature I read. Good idea to go book shopping with a Korean friend! I like most of what I bought,
but at least one of the books seems a bit boring...

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4414 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 160 of 203
02 October 2014 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
Yeah indeed it was a typo. The links were like this :
(IMG)http://yuhakko.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/20140920_195 833.jpgw=700&h=(/IMG)

Since I didn't find a solution, I just put the pictures on my twitter for now, but if
you have a solution, I'd be glad!
For now: my twitter is @yuhakko737

Regarding 나는 나를 파괴할 권리가 있다, I didn't realize it was your first book! Sounds
kinda scary to know that it was like a charade or sudoku for you knowing your level,
but I like challenges so why not.

As for doing some kind of book club, I'd be indeed interested, but not sure I can
follow you rythm (actually pretty sure I can't). We could go for while I read only
that book, you read another one as well in order to control yourself on this one. 어
때? 사실은 이 책 읽고 싶은데 시작하는 것이 어렵다..

This discussion contains 203 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version