Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4143 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 25 of 203
31 January 2013 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
Hey Yuhakko! How's it going with Norwegian? Have you seen a full movie yet?

Best of luck!
1 person has voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4418 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 26 of 203
01 February 2013 at 10:57am | IP Logged 
@Renate: Thanks for the recomendations!! I'll probably go for 신나는 열두 달 명절 이야
기, It looks a bit more interesting. Yeah Korean and Mandarin have really similar words
here and there (간단 would be in chinese 简单 which is read jiandan, so quite similar)
so studying from one could help a lot the other. Japanese and Thai though are not that
related so it won't have that added bonus of making the TL easier.

@Leurre: Oh no I should be the one impressed (and I am!). Your Korean is so incredible.
While everybody impressed me, your Korean just left me out of breath. Your Japanese is
pretty decent too by the way! And plus you're been studying it for less than a year..!!
Yeah things are starting to fall into place and I hope that February and the 6WC will
help me get back into a real routine.

@Billyshear666: Thank you!! I'll be checking up on you too! 加油!

@Kujichagulia: Hi! Haha well living in Japan you should be getting practice all day
long already no? I did personally! And the problem with my roommate is that the more
time passes by, the more she tries to speak English or french. As a result, I speak a
lot of japanese but hear it less and less.. Luckily, when she wants to explain
something or when she drank too much, japanese just flows out!

@Iawia: Hi! That's true, I guess the similarities are probably too subtle to figure
them out when not a native of one of the two. Unfortunately, it seems my buddy's quite
busy too.. So as a result I haven't met her since the buddy party... I am practicing a
lot my Korean, Japanese, and to a less extent my Mandarin with the exchanges though so
it's alright. Plus first, I need to learn the alphabet!
I didn't know your webiste but I checked it out and it's awesome!! Then again, I do
need to learn the alphabet. Luckily, I searched for a while in English to find a good
website teaching the letters but just ended up looking it up in Japanese and found this
awesome website :
http://www.thaismile.
jp/ThaiLanguage/1alpha/ThaiCharas1.html
. But while I am learning (very) slowly
the alphabet, I still have no idea how to actually pronounce it. I don't feel like "Gor
Gai" is how one would pronounce one consonnant. Any advice on that?

@Kez: Hei Kez! Unfortunately I haven't watched a norwegian movie yet. I'd like to start
by a good one so I don't get turned off, so as a result I am being overly cautious... I
have watched 2 episodes of Brille, but while it is interesting to read the Norwegian
subtitles while hearing it, I have no idea what is happening in there. Also, I found a
NRK radio of Tune In, so I listen to some Norwegian when I clean my house or things
like that (which fortunately happens a lot for now as I am still not totally
installed).

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4307 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 27 of 203
01 February 2013 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
I recommend the Norwegian movie "Rovdyr". You don't need to understand a word Norwegian to understand what's going on, the pictures and background sounds are very illustrative. It also has a nice theme song :)

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4418 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 28 of 203
28 February 2013 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
@daegga : thank you for your recommendation. Unfortunately, as I am about to write on my
update, I was really busy this month and did not find time to search well for this movie.
I did try but couldn't find it straight away. In the end, I just decided to wait for the
end of my hard part of the semester (9-10March more or less) before diving back into
Norwegian and thus I am waiting that time to make full use of the movie.

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4418 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 29 of 203
28 February 2013 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
Well, it has been pretty much a month now since my last update. First of all, I just
want to say that I did not drop out. When I chose my classes in December I knew this
(half) semester would be really busy but I thought I'd have quite some time for myself
too. It turned out that this was just underestimating the school's night life. I have
been going out quite a lot and thus the rare time I get during the day, I use it either
to sleep or to work on my classes (which unfortunately have pretty much nothing to see
with Languages for most). However, tomorrow evening, I will finish the classes, next
week I have a seminar which is going to be from 8am to 10pm during the full week so I
might no get much time either; but after that, I'll just have 3 easy exams in a week
and a half period so I'll (FINALLY!) get some time to put some actual study down. As
you'll see from now on in this update, most of my study this semester was indirect
study, by which I mean just videos, musics and conversations mostly.

Anyway, let's get more into details:

Norwegian: Unfortunately, I wish I could say good news about it. I actually did
not find the time to really finally start seriously and in the end, just ended up
listening once every 2 days to the NRK radio on Tunein on my way to school. That meant
about 20minutes. As a result, I think I got to that level of "this language doesn't
sound weird anymore" but not yet to "this language is starting to make more sense"
because of the lack of actual proper study. I'm not proud of myself. I have not been a
proper Viking as I should have..

Chinese: Again, my study of Mandarin has not been super consistent to say the
least. I listened a lot (I really mean a LOT) to a Chinese radio on tunein on which
they just have either talks or read stories. I've come to recognize more than I used to
but obviously, the problem of vocabulary is still here. I've talked only a bit like 10-
15min once this month so that's something I should work on next month as I'll have
(way) more time. I have read, here and there, some small texts in chinese on Facebook
or what not but nothing much. Oh I also watched a few american movies subbed in Chinese
such as Skyfall, Taken2, Django Unchained, Ted. Like for norwegian, I'm not happy with
my progress this month.

Japanese: Well for Japanese, obviously my flatmate being Japanese, I've spoken
quite a bit of Japanese on a daily basis. I've even had a 1h30-long talk about
differences in politics between france and Japan, culture differences and the problems
between China-Japan-South Korea; all that in Japanese! I was really proud of myself,
but also really tired because I tried to use my best Japanese (which I usually don't
do. I prefer feeling natural and getting corrected; I feel that this is more useful). I
have seen quite a few (about 6hours total?) がきの使い which I really stupid but
incredibly funny. I've seen a few series, other TV shows (あなたの町にもきっとある強烈
のできない激うまラーメン which got me craving to go back to Japan again), I listened a
bit to NHK news radio, but in the end, not enough I think. I read quickly a few
articles online but not on a regular basis. Unfortunately, being busy I stopped reading
my book. It's just waiting for me next to my bed every night, just whispering to me
"Read meee" and so I feel quite guilty not reading it.

Korean: Last but not least, actually this month exactly the contrary, Korean!
This is the only reason I haven't spent my spare time crying I did nothing. I finally
succeeded in motivating myself again in Korean and made me want to go back there all
the more. To be honest, this never left. I've always wanted to go back to study and to
Korea; but this month, I got closer to the 3 koreans in my school and been talking to
one every single day for about 3weeks; with sometimes 3-4 hours phone calls too; all
that in Korean. Well obviously, I've had to ask her to explain herself sometimes and if
the topic gets too hard, we switch to English so that it doesn't end, but in the end, I
exchange basically messages all day long in Korean and then, we meet or have a phone
call. At the beginning of the month, she told me I had a Japanese accent (and I could
not understand if it was better or worse than French..), but now, it's gotten less
strong it seems. I also used to put a lot of Japanese in my sentences in Korean but
now, when I mix, it more the other way around : Korean in Japanese sentences (but after
2minutes of Japanese, I go back into "Japanese mode"). I also learnt that my voice gets
way higher when I speak Korean; and my way of acting is.. "cuter" let's say. I guess,
the reason is probably because most of my Korean acquaintances have been girls, so
that'd make sense.. I wonder how to correct that though. Because of this surge of
motivation in Korean, I've actually found time a few times to do some proper study.
Never long, but still. I've written one Lang-8 entry, read a bit of an entertainment
article and about half the resume of that Korean friend, and listened to 2TTMIK lessons
for the first time in ages. I've read a few facebook status too. However, I am gonna
have to keep that up this coming month. Unfortunately, that friend is going to travel
for pretty much half March so that'll make me practice less, but might give me more
opportunity to work on my grammar, vocabulary and, of course, my other languages!

Conclusion: Not a productive month related to active proper study, but a lot of
passive in all my languages and some practice for the 2 higher ones. Thai went off the
radar this month, but I decided to take it slowly. So I'll start really really slowly
next month.

Goals for next month:
Norwegian:
- Finally watch a proper movie
- Completing a few challenges from the list, and all the ones from Cristina
- Finally get well into Assimil
- Maybe read a few articles from Klartale

Chinese:
- Finish reading the first small story from my graded reader
- Work on more videos on FluentU
- Write at least 2-3 times per week on Lang-8
- Try to understand more the radio
- Try out once an episode of a drama without subs

Japanese:
- Start listening to NHK radio again
- Read at least 100 pages (better 150-200) from my book (カフカの海辺)
- Read articles on a daily basis (1-2/day at least)
- Start working again on the JLPT1 grammar
- Get back into Kanji study in some form or another (really vague)
- Start writing on Lang-8 with the sole purpose of using grammar points I understand
but never use

Korean:
- Listening to TTMIK lessons regularly
- Study at least 10 이야기 from TTMIK
- Get totally rid of the subtitles in dramas and tv shows
- Listen to radio talks
- Read at least 15 논문 from http://www.positive.co.kr/contents/contentsList.asp?
f_categoryId=1&f_groupId=48&f_subjectId=136
- Read and study at least 5 articles from Advancedkorean.com
- Read some entertainment articles (said to be the easiest ones. I'll choose from the
drama or movie section)
- If possible, get some hanja study done

Thai:
- Learn how to write and pronounce 10-15 letters.

General:
- Never give up
- Find the motivation when I'm having trouble going on
- Stay consistent in all those languages!!!
- Catch up with everybody's logs from my teams for the TAC. This might be really
difficult, but I'll try to at least know what you've done in the past 2 weeks!

This might be a bit optimist, but I'd rather try to reach all that than not having
something to push me to study.

And now, off to listen to my first Iyagi from TTMIK for a very long time!

Edited by yuhakko on 28 February 2013 at 7:53pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4418 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 30 of 203
10 April 2013 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
Alright, It's been another long month without any update, but here it is! First a long
update about this month and then a shorter one (hopefully) about this first quarter.

General: I ended up staying busy pretty much all month long; but am finding more and
more time as time passes by. I still wish I had more time, but it seems I won't until I
find an internship and if I find it too late, then I might have to follow up with
exams.. well anyway, I am catching up on logs just by reading the ones that post (and
reading their posts I missed).

Norwegian: I am really having trouble studying it diligently but am still listening to
radio often and found a few days ago an anki deck with basic words and sentences. Det
er greit! But still not enough I think. Unfortunately (for Norwegian), I will take the
HSK exam in 2months and am not at the level, so I'll probably just keep things going
slowly for Norwegian for now. As I did a few days ago, I might just write from time to
time in Norwegian on Twitter or Lang-8 but probably not much more.

Japanese: I had a pretty cool month. I let my anki on the side until about 2weeks ago
but am now back putting slowly but surely words for the JLPT N1 in it. Some words feel
useless (stuff like 匁), but we never know so I am still learning them. I've also
watched one drama 最高の離婚. I didn't want to at first but found it with chinese and
japanese subs and enjoyed quite a lot the story while checking out the subs sometimes.
My flatmate seems to be getting tired of talking in Japanese. She keeps on answering in
English.. except when she's drunk ^^ Anyway, I am now starting to get into the mood for
the JLPT N1 in december, or at least to prepare for it! We'll see if I actually go for
it. Oh and I also read 90 pages of Kafka on the Shore too. Interesting but a bit weird
for now.

Korean: Still going strong. I haven't followed much my plan but I did read a few
articles, listened to a lot of radio talks, totally stopped using subtitles, and
continued talking a lot in Korean. My accent's gotten better it seems. I also started
an anki deck with the intermediate TOPIK vocabulary in it. I also checked some hanja,
but nothing too precise either.

Mandarin: slow start, and only the "listening to a lot of radio talks" part of my
objectives fully completed, but I found motivation again around mid-march, getting the
opportunity of spending 8-9 months in Shanghai for an internship starting september-
october. However, I should be able to search for suppliers in Chinese for that so I've
decided to take the HSK 3 on June 8th. I am still far from it (I think), so I have
started working through the vocabulary list for it. I also took an HSK 1 and HSK 2
tests to check my results, and got for each 98-100 and 92-89 (listening-reading).
However for the HSK 2, there was a lot of vocabulary I just guessed (right!). I feel
that what I lack most is vocabulary now. Obviously I need more grammar, but without
vocabulary, It wouldn't be of much use. I also started again writing on Weibo, and
talking with some friends on Weixin.

Thai: On break until I pass my HSK exam in June.

Conclusion: I am starting to having a routine and thus it makes it easier to study,
read logs, etc.

Objectives for April:

Norwegian:
- Write at least 10 times on twitter.
- Write at least 3 times on Lang-8
- Continue the Anki deck

Japanese:
- Continue my JLPT N1 anki deck.
- Do some Kanjibox a few times
- Read at least once a week the news
- Watch 2-3 new movies (without subs of course)
- Read 50 pages at least of Kafka on the Shore
- Have one discution in Japanese with my flatmate on a "hard" topic (April's challenge)

Korean:
- Continue practicing
- Listen to radio shows sometimes
- Read some more 논문.
- Study 1 advancedkorean article and add the hanjas to anki
- continue studying the intermediate topik vocab

Chinese:
- Finish the HSK 3 vocabulary list
- Take one mock exam for the HSK 3
- Read some articles in easy chinese
- Write on Weibo, 3 times per week at least
- Start talking again in Chinese with friends on Weixin on a more regular basis.
(April's challenge)

All:
- Never stop reading logs (and start commenting)
- Get a perfectly livable routine.
- Try to do some meditation again (bonus)
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4654 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 31 of 203
10 April 2013 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
Sounds good!

Which Korean radio shows are you listening to?

Are you also going to take the Intermediate TOPIK this month?

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4418 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 32 of 203
10 April 2013 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for stopping by! :)

I usually listen to CBS Standard FM. Depending on the time of the day, there are some
talks. Not always the most interesting ones but quite good nonetheless!

I wanted to at first but in the end, I realized it wouldn't fit my schedule, so I think
I'll take the next one and go straight for the TOPIK 4. Btw, any idea when the next one
should be?

This discussion contains 203 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version