Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4412 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 57 of 203
29 July 2013 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
First day of work finished. Good news: I was told I'd take care of most the Asian
clients, and pretty much ALL the Japanese! Looking forward to get some real-life practice
(I mean non-friendly talk). Everybody's nice and for my lunch break I even stopped at
book off (being 2min away from my workplace) and got a "novel" (234pages) called 「世界の
中心で愛をさけぶ」. I found the name nice and the chapters seems to be quite short, which
will allow me to read without the pressure of feeling 30-40 pages before finishing.

And 2nd good news: even though I went to have a drink with my friends after work, I still
did pretty much everything I had planned! (except the usual chinese grammar points.. I
really need to find time to do that).
1 person has voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4412 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 58 of 203
16 August 2013 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
It's been a bit more than 2 weeks since my last update but this time it was not because
I was studying a lot unfortunately (I did use daily my languages but nothing much). For
2 weeks, I had friends staying over at my place (first, a French, then one Korean and
then another Korean with whom I talk in Japanese) and finally I went a weekend in the
South of France for a big barbecue around the swimming pool. All that led me to not
being able to go on my computer much and not at all on HTLAL.

I had 3 times Japanese clients for check-ins and once some Koreans. The Japanese
clients were so easy to deal with it almost surprised me. They were the only clients
for whom I didn't forget anything. The Koreans were quite hard to deal with because
they kept speaking in English to me and just switched when they didn't know the word
(and how the hell am I supposed to know those words myself?!). I did use my korean but
my lack of vocabulary was made clear to me. I need to work on that.

I've also started translating a few papers from work so that we can give those to
Japanese clients in their native language. I've done half and got corrections from
Lang-8. I was quite surprised I didn't get that many corrections. I thought it'd be
full of errors but seems not.

Apart from that, for the August challenge (that already started 15days ago but well..),
I've decided to focus on my weaknesses:
- Japanese: Writing (on Lang-8) and hopefully on paper too (I need to write a postcard)
- Korean: Reading.
- Chinese: Writing (on Lang-8 and Weibo but also by hand) and Hanzis (I recognize them
when I type but I forget them if I want to write by hand).

That's it for those but for the 2 last ones,
- Norwegian : Focus on Assimil, and På Vei until September 1st (when I'll probably let
På Vei on the side until I'll finish TY Norwegian)
- Ainu : Continue working through the アイヌラジオ講座 and maybe find a place to write
or read some more Ainu.

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4412 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 59 of 203
20 August 2013 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
I've been writing like hell in Japanese and to tell the truth, I'm actually impressed
by myself. I've written twice on Lang-8. Once about Yae no Sakura and once about Ainu
language. Both of them were relatively long, in polite form and I tried using specific
vocabulary. I have still a long way to go before it gets really good, but considering
the one on Ainu was written without a dictionary, I am quite proud of the result.
I've also continued translating from English (and French) a paper of recommendations
for the clients and posted the part I did today on Lang-8 as well.
Still related to Japanese, I found the PDF of the law regarding the promotion of Ainu
culture in Japan and read 1 page of it tonight (I will read the rest later).
Also, before writing about Yae no Sakura, I watched the first episode of it without Jap
and Chinese subtitles and it was freaking hard! Such an old language style and the
endings are all so weird to me.
Oh and also reading NHK Easy News and then the real one each morning and evening.
Really good for my retention of new words! And reading on really different topics so
good for general knowledge!

For Korean, I'm already at episode 32 of 와라! 편의점 and still loving it. I've been
reading also from positive.co.kr and I plan on reading from time to time from
Advancedkorean.com as I used to do.

For chinese, everyday, I read every morning one article from slowchinese, then listen
to it while reading again and then do the same in the evening with the same one.
Unfortunately, still no writing and no hanzis study. Well... not much time for that
anyway..

Regarding Ainu, I've decided to take it (just a bit) slower. Instead of going 1 lesson
per day, I take 2 days and the first of the next lesson, I write the one from the day
before. It goes like : day 1 = listening and reading the lesson (if possible twice),
day 2 = listening while putting in Anki + reading, day 3 = listening and writing the
lesson. Seems to be working well. Quite practical to not have much choice of textbooks!

For Norwegian, same thing, I'm going a bit slower and doing 1 lesson of Assimil in 2
days. Day 1 = listening and analysing, day 2 = listening and writing + verification if
I understood well. When I'll have printed a part of På Vei, I'll alternate with that I
think. I've also watched Død Snø and even though I found it "funny" around the end
(because so unrealistic), I wasn't at ease at the beginning. Alright movie all in all.
I'll watch Cold Prey 1 this week and the 2 others next week.

Apart from that, It feels good to be back on track properly, have my "me time" instead
of having people stay over everynight. And, even though it might sound strange, I'm
happy to realize I'm getting less and less lazy! Proof is the amount of reading I've
done even though I tend to be lazy to do it normally.
3 persons have voted this message useful

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4653 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 60 of 203
21 August 2013 at 12:56am | IP Logged 
Så du Død snø uten undertekster, eller med japanske?

Det er en stund siden jeg så den, men jeg kan ikke huske at den var spesielt skummel;
at hele filmen var en slags parodi på sjangeren ble fort tydelig -- iallefall synes jeg
det. Den var uansett en veldig bra film. :D

Så traileren med japanske undertekster ganske nylig, og jeg likte hvordan de oversatte
"Ein, Zwei, Die!" til "1、2、惨" :p

Stå på videre! ;D

Edited by stifa on 21 August 2013 at 12:57am

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4412 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 61 of 203
24 August 2013 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
Hei!

Nei, jeg så du Død snø med undertekster i Engelsk! Jeg har ikke ennå nivået uten
undertekster!

Det er ikke så skummelt, men når kommer zombie putselig, jeg ble overrasket litt.. :p
filmen er ikke den beste, men det er bare bra! Vet du en god Norsk film jeg skal se??
:)

ノルウェイ語は難しいから 、ちょっと日本語にします!すごくいい経験 だけど!ノルウェイ語

書くのはね (笑)

確かに翻訳のせいではちょっと違う雰囲気に なるよね! なんか意味は変わるんじゃん!

Edited by yuhakko on 24 August 2013 at 12:06am

3 persons have voted this message useful

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4653 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 62 of 203
24 August 2013 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
Bittelitt korrektur:

Nei, jeg så du Død snø med undertekster på engelsk!
> på [språk]
> Man bruker ikke stor forbokstav på språk, nasjonaliteter, osv. Bare i egennavn
(proper nouns), titler og i begynnelsen av setningen.

Jeg klarer meg ennå ikke uten undertekster!
/ Jeg må fremdeles ha undertekster
> Den opprinnelige setningen var vanskelig å rette, men det du prøvde å si kan sies på
enklere måter, som vist ovenfor.

Den er ikke så skummel,
> "film" er hankjønn

men når en zombie putselig kommer, blir jeg litt overrasket. :p
> Man endrer ikke grammatisk tid (tense; måtte selv sjekke hva det het på norsk) midt i
i en setning. :)

?filmen er ikke den beste, men det er bare bra!
>Hmm? Er det bra at den ikke er den beste?

Vet du om en god norsk film jeg bør se??
> "bør" passer bedre med anbefalinger

Jeg har dessverre ikke sett så mange norske filmer, og det er faktisk lenge siden sist,
men om du liker sånne filmer som Død snø, anbefaler jeg Trolljegeren, en "mockumentary"
om ja, en som jagter på troll. :p
Forhåpentligvis kan noen andre komme med anbefalinger. :)

Men husk: øvelse gjør mester! ;)

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4412 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 63 of 203
25 August 2013 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
Takk for korrigering!

stifa wrote:
?filmen er ikke den beste, men det er bare bra!
>Hmm? Er det bra at den ikke er den beste?

Jeg vil si jeg har sett bedre :p

Ah Jeg har hørt om Trolljegeren! Takk! Jeg vil se den ;)

I går jeg så Fritt Vilt 1 og 2. Den er bra! I dag, jeg vil se Fritt Vilt 3!

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4412 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 64 of 203
25 August 2013 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
As for an update for what I've done (worth noticing)since last time:

Japanese: I finished translating some recommendations for clients for work! Pretty
proud of myself I have to admit. And I've been writing a bit on Lang-8... to ask for
correction for polite style! It's been going good and I'm starting to get less things
wrong.

Korean: Had a 1h15min of discussion with Korean clients in Polite Korean (first time in
my life to succeed in that!). I've also read a lot (chapter 50 for 와라! 편의점) and
from positivekorean.co.kr

Chinese: nothing too particular. I've been reading from slowchinese and checked out
some FluentU videos.

Norwegian : Watched 3 movies in 1 week. I'm starting to recognize some words or
constructions. Feels good!

Ainu: nothing special. Read half the law regarding ainu culture promotion in Japan in
Japanese. Starting to think with what I know to try creating some easy sentences.

This discussion contains 203 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version