FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4392 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 97 of 203
27 December 2013 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
So, I've finished my book in Japanese!
Although, there are a few days left, I'd like to make my monthly update so that I can follow up tomorrow or sunday with my overall review.

I finished the Asian Team Challenge although I didn't put much effort in it...

Regarding my personal goals, I failed most of them but I don't feel bad about it as I read a FULL japanese book in 1 month!

- Read another Tintin fully in Chinese : finished yesterday.
- Read 20 articles in Korean : read only 2. I'll need to shape up a bit
- Read 75 와라!편의점 in Korean : about 10 left but I'll do it tomorrow so, completed
- Read 40 articles in Japanese : forgot to count, but I'm pretty sure I read about 30 at least and some of them rather long
- Read 100 pages of a book in Japanese : DEFINITELY completed as I ended up reading the full book
- Read 4 Articles in Norwegian : read 2 but I enjoy it so I'll try to keep that and read more
- Do 10 lessons of Assimil Norwegian : about 2..? I guess... I don't have much time so I guess I'll put a stop for now. I cannot seem to be able to get into it.
- Study 4 grammar points of Korean(optional) : studied one very well and one a bit.
- Study 4 grammar points of Chinese (optional) : none...

All in All, It was a very good Japanese month but not so great for the rest. Furthermore, I stopped chatting in korean, Chinese and Norwegian so I'll need to get
back into that habit.

I've gotten back into Ainu a bit and am trying to do 1 lesson per week now, but the lessons are really starting to get very long and difficult!

As for next year, more on that later! I'm really looking forward to a new start!
3 persons have voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4392 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 98 of 203
30 December 2013 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
Here goes the Year-end TAC summary:

Japanese: All in all, it was a good year! Living with my japanese flatmate for 6 months helped me get definitely used to colloquial
Japanese and weird ways of talking (she's got a weird accent and doesn't articulate at all.. the most difficult Japanese I've ever met!) and the second
part of the year I read a lot newspapers and books, and had many Japanese clients which allowed me to get to a rather good level in formal
Japanese. I somehow wish I had studied harder and pass the JLPT1 this December but did not get around with it. I guess that's for next year!

Korean: Certainly not my most efficient year. On some aspects, I am rather deceived by myself. I could have improved a lot as I was going out
with a Korean girl for half the year but I just... stagnated. Well, my understanding's gotten a bit better and my pronunciation is probably where I'm
the best, but it's been like this for long. I guess I can't complain, but I do regret not working on grammar and stopping TTMIK (just started again
yesterday). Korean just went from the level where I always had to switch to English for a small part of a discussion to the one where I can go
around the problem (most of time).

Mandarin: My first full year from January to December (as I started in August 2012). I did great progress at the beginning of the year but then
let myself go for the second half. I haven't studied grammar for a (way too) long time. However, I am now able to have a discussion in Mandarin if I
have a dictionary around (Pleco = the best tool ever) and I've read a few readers and 2 Tintin comics (I plan on reading all of them but more and more
get into details. For now, following the story-line is enough). I'd say I got a pretty solid base and next year I should be able to get to a
rather good level.

Norwegian: A pretty sad first year for Norwegian. I had constantly on my mind the language but didn't actually studied it much. I gave up all the
methods I tried and in the end I think studying it through reading easy articles and SRS works well for now. I hope to give a push around mid next year.

Ainu: Started around June or July, I've been studying it on and off from Japanese since then. It's a really fascinating language so I don't plan
on giving it up but I just need to organize myself better as the lessons have gotten longer now.

Conclusion: All in all, I think the fact that I was using (and not studying) everyday Korean and Japanese at the beginning of the year allowed me
to have more time for proper study of Mandarin but when I stopped being in contact with Korean and Japanese people everyday the second half of the year,
I had to make time for it and it kind of killed the time slot for Mandarin. The number of languages I study is getting bigger and bigger and finding
time is getting harder along the way. I look forward to the day my life will be settled and regular so that I can organize myself better

I'll put down my goals for 2014 tomorrow or the day after tomorrow as I need to go read a bit my book in Japanese before sleeping now! :)

PS: Thanks to everybody who's helped me and motivated me throughout the year! It was a pleasure studying with all of you!
2 persons have voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4392 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 99 of 203
30 December 2013 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
Well here goes all that I hope to accomplish for 2014 and I pray for it to happen!

Goals for 2014 :

Japanese:
- Read at least 10 books (mostly novels)
- Get a good enough level in reading to be able to understand the news (journal)
without a dictionary
- Pass the JLPT N1 by December maximum (if I'm in a country where I can try in
July, then I will)

Korean:
- Read at least 2 novels (whathever the size)
- Catch up with TTMIK
- Study at least 2/3 (better all) of my Korean Grammar in Use book (that means being
able to use the grammar points as well)
- Pass the TOPIK 4 at least (and if possible the 5 but I doubt that)

Mandarin:
- Read one (easy) novel
- Read at least 5 Tintin
- Watch a full Drama without subs (just chinese subs)
- Study grammar a lot!
- Practice written conversation every week as much as possible
- Pass the HSK 4 or maybe 5 if possible.

Ainu:
- Finish 2013's lessons
- Follow weekly the 2014 lessons when they will start (around April I believe)
- Start trying to read things in Ainu around August if possible

Norwegian: (certainly on more-or-less pause until May-June)
- Do Assimil..?
- Read at least 30 articles from Klartale
- Try to create a habit of studying Norwegian

"New" Addition!: English:
- Get a British accent "on command"
- Improve my vocabulary (use of "Verbal Advantage")
- Improve my writing style

Wanderlust: That dreadful beast that we all have. Well if my second internship
is in a country where I don't speak the language at all, I'll start it. However if it's
in one where I do know the language I'll have a choice to do. Indonesian is on my list
but I've tried Hungarian a bit so who knows, I might go for it. We'll see!

Conclusion: A busy year! But I'm looking forward to it! Although I have many
goals, I see them as feasible so let's rock it next year!

Nota Bene:If I end up staying in France for my second internship (please
noooooooo), then I'll go back to the polyglot club at least once a week and will work
even more on languages! But for now, let's just hope I find it somewhere else!

For TAC 2014, I'll keep this log and rename it. To the rare people who'll read it,
thanks for that and Good luck to all of us!

Edited by yuhakko on 31 December 2013 at 12:31am

4 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4628 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 100 of 203
31 December 2013 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
Ambitious plans!

yuhakko wrote:
Korean:
- Read at least 2 novels (whathever the size)
- Catch up with TTMIK
- Study at least 2/3 (better all) of my Korean Grammar in Use book (that means being
able to use the grammar points as well)
- Pass the TOPIK 4 at least (and if possible the 5 but I doubt that)

To be honest, TOPIK 5 seems utopian. While I now understand most of the text, I can't even begin to solve the questions... They use really advanced, obscure grammar. I probably won't attempt it this year. When is TOPIK held in France? In Germany it only takes place once a year in April, so this is something to watch out for.

I'll probably also be working with Korean Grammar in Use this year to activate some of my passive grammar knowledge.

I'm looking forward to reading about your studies!
1 person has voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4392 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 101 of 203
31 December 2013 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
Yeah I think it's utopian as well but it helps me look towards progress !
Actually, I just checked earlier today when is the TOPIK held in France and I found 2 answers... One saying it's in
April (which I knew) and one saying that in Europe there's a second one on October 11th.. I don't really know which
is true but I've decided to take it the TOPIK 4 in April anyway as in October I'll be getting ready for the JLPT N1 I
guess.

아, 그리고: 새해 복 많이 받으세요! 올해는 열심히 공부 합시다! 한국어 연습도 하고 ㅎㅎ

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4392 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 102 of 203
10 January 2014 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
My gosh! I can't believe I haven't posted here since new year's eve! Well well well,
let's keep the big news for later, first comes the "basic update"

Unfortunately, the beginning of the year hasn't been so productive. I've only read 74
pages of my Japanese book although I had set a goal of 500 pages for the month. I've
decided to quit the Tadoku challenge this month because something bigger came up
(you'll know soon if you go on reading). I've read about 15-20 articles in Japanese but
mostly big chunks instead of a bit everyday. Haven't practiced much apart from some
clients and a few conversations.

Korean : Much better for the first week as I studied a lot grammar, listened continually to podcasts in Korean (my soon-to-be-finished internship involves a lot of
going around paris alone so I basically spent at least 2-3 hours of listening for about
a week or so and I've been listening about 30min-1h this week and will try to keep it
this way. (Once more: I've got something else more important now). I did get a bit of
practice here and there, watched a few TV shows and movies. A good start thus but I'll
have to tune it down a bit from now on unfortunately.

English: I've been looking for words I don't know here and there in texts I came upon.
Some I could understand the "feel" of it but wasn't able to actually translate them,
some I did not understand at all. Here are a few : schwa, corduroy, beady, stilted.
I've also been studying a few words of "Verbal Advantage" a day after putting the 50
first ones in Anki while watching a movie ^^

Ainu & Norwegian: Just did Anki and actually skipped the last 3 days. I've also watched
a few episodes of Norwegian TV series.

Chinese: Almost nothing. I did start again talking to 2 penpals on Jan 1st though. I've
also been listening to 10-15min of Chinese podcast almost everynight.

yuhakko
Tetraglot
Joined 4392 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 

Message 103 of 203
10 January 2014 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
I figured I should do a second post JUST for the GREAT news! The reason why I am
quitting the Tadoku challenge and tuning down Korean is.. that in about 3 weeks I
will be leaving for Shanghai for 6 months for an internship !!

I've applied to a compagny based there on monday night, got a first interview at 8h30
on wednesday, an answer 4hours later to ask for a second interview with the boss the
next day at 8h45 this time. This second interview lasted 1h30 and went well (even
talked about visa, starting date, possibility of extension, etc). I got final
confirmation that I got the job this friday when I woke up this morning. I already knew
yesterday, but I now have written confirmation!

As a result,Mandarin is now advancing to my Number 1 priority for
now!
I've printed a lot of grammar points I don't know how to use (well or at all) and that
I believe I need to be able to do so. I've also gotta write a possible dialogue I could
have when I go to ask for my visa. Indeed, It seems I could be getting a 3-month visa
if they don't like my face, so I've talked with my future boss and she thought my idea
of asking for the visa in Mandarin could help my cause. First word I learnt was.. Visa
^^ 签证. Now I'm about to start trying to create that dialogue and I'll put it on Lang-
8 afterwards.
3 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4628 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 104 of 203
10 January 2014 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
This is great news! Congratulations on scoring that internship!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 203 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version