Ireland
espaprender.wordpres
Joined 4303 days ago

15 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*, Irish
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 1 of 3
21 December 2012 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
I'm starting a log for TAC this year- hoping to achieve reasonable fluency in Irish. As I went through the Irish school system I have a basic level in the language already, just trying to give myself that extra push.

I also would like to keep up my Spanish and German, which I have made progress in over 2012. I would also like to build on my (very basic level) in another language. I have resources for Mandarin, Russian and French ready here- just trying to work out which I should put first. I was putting work into French before, because I worked for an NGO which works in Congo. But I've lost my job now, so I'm just going to pick the language I enjoy the most.

Resources for Irish:
Buntús Cainte and Turas Teanga - these are both aimed at beginners, but I still find them useful for revision.
TG4, Radio Na Life and RnaG - I'm lucky enough to have access to these media outlets, so I'll be listening/watching a lot.
Books, newspapers - I enjoy reading, so I'll be reading beo.ie and Gaelsceal plenty.
Talking - I'm trying to find a Ciorcal Comhrá to practice with here in Dublin.

Edited by thusspakeblixa on 07 January 2013 at 12:05am

1 person has voted this message useful

thusspakeblixa
Diglot
Ireland
espaprender.wordpres
Joined 4303 days ago

15 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*, Irish
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 2 of 3
06 January 2013 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
Right, after a fairly tough month personally and professionally, I'm now taking this bull by the horns!

Here are my goals for January 2013:

Irish: Watch one Irish programme on TG4 per week. Listen to radio programming at least twice a week. Read 3 articles (newspaper/online) per week.Attempt to find a ciorcal comhrá.

Spanish: Read three full short stories (from Short Stories in Spanish). Watch three Spanish language films. Speak on SharedTalk at least twice a week.

German: More or less as Spanish, except I'll be using a different parallel text book, obviously.

Russian: Finish two units in the New Penguin Russian Course. I also will try to source a Pimsleur/Michel Thomas course from the library.

I'm also waiting on the delivery of my New Practical Chinese Reader textbook, which is very exciting altogether.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5341 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 3 of 3
16 March 2013 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
¡Olé! Good to hear some fighting spirit when life starts getting tough. :)

I think TG4 is amazing, but I don't tend to listen to the radio or read newspapers so much. Which Irish radio channel or online sites would you recommend (especially for beginners like me)?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version