Tetraglot
Austria
Joined 6823 days ago

146 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, ItalianB1
Studies: French, Hungarian, Esperanto, Czech

Message 1 of 14
22 December 2012 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
This is going to be my log for TAC 2013 in Czech, so everything I am doing for Czech will be documented here. For my other languages I will continue using my Multilingual log

I have been thinking about studying Czech for quite a while now, have also half-heartedly started – or let’s say, I started with lots of motivation and little time. Now it looks like there will be more time again for eventually taking this seriously and here I am, looking forward to this adventure with a TAC-team of motivating people. Most of them are much more advanced then I am (well, I am still not much more then a beginner) so this is going to be very inspiring.

Earlier this year I have listened through the first 25 lessons of Assimil. I made lots of notes and listened to the audio many times on my way to work.
A few weeks ago I wanted to take up listening again and realized that beyond about lesson 7 everything was just a big blur. So I figured instead of repeating what I have done so far, it was time for a more structured approach and borrowed “Langenscheidts Praktischer Sprachlehrgang - Tschechisch” from the library. It is a whole package, with the textbook, a CD that mainly contains the texts and dialogues of the course lessons and a smaller book with the keys to the exercises. I will write a more detailed review of this program later on, when I know more. I have reached chapter 3 by now (the book has 25 chapters) and by now I can say that there are some aspects about it, that I like and some that I don’t like that much. But more on that later.

I am still listening to Assimil as well, and it turns out that my brain has not just deleted everything, it is still there and comes up again, the more I study with the other book. I also recognise a lot of the vocabulary used in the Langenscheidt book, so I guess I will continue working with this combination of programs for a while.

I have plans for a trip to Prague this spring, and I am curious to see how far I’ll get with my Czech until then. And I really hope to visit the Czech Republic more often from now on, considering that it is really not very far from where I live, it is actually a shame that I just have been there for very few times. There is also some realistic prospect of some job-related trips to Prague by now, but let’s see how this will be going.

I would really like to get somewhere near B1 by the end of this year, to some level where I can do more enjoyable things in the language then reading boring textbook-texts, I guess that should be a kind of realistic goal.

(Right now I am not able to post as much as I would like, as I am currently having some computer-problems, but I hope to get them fixed soon.)

1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6943 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 2 of 14
23 December 2012 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
Držím palce!

nuriayasmin70
Diglot
Germany
languagesandbeyoRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4308 days ago

132 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: SpanishB1, Portuguese, Czech, Hungarian

Message 3 of 14
24 December 2012 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
It will be interesting to follow your log as we both have German as a native language and are beginners with Czech. I started to learn the language seriously in summer 2012 and have finished the Langenscheidt course you borrowed from the library but I'm far from the A2 level. I'm now working with "Tschechisch Schritt für Schritt" which I actually bought in Austria because it wasn't available in Germany and I also bought some books when I was in Czech Republic in November. I haven't started my TAC log yet but will do so after Christmas and am really happy to be part of the Kofola team.

Theodisce
Octoglot
Poland
Joined 5673 days ago

127 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, Czech, French, English, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Slovak, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, Greek, Portuguese

Message 4 of 14
25 December 2012 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
I'll be excited to observe how our German speaking co-learners deal with the language, especially give that there are some striking correspondences between German and Czech both in vocabulary (Reich- říše) and syntax (denken an- myslet na). Good luck!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Lapislazuli
Tetraglot
Austria
Joined 6823 days ago

146 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, ItalianB1
Studies: French, Hungarian, Esperanto, Czech

Message 5 of 14
28 December 2012 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for your replies, I noticed them just now, but now I bookmarked this thread so that won't happen again ;-)

@Nuriayasmin70: Sorry, I read this after I commented in your log. Good to know that you were able to finish the Langenscheidt book. I find it a little boring, but it looks like it is worth it, as it seems well structured in general. I just noticed that one of the people who had the book before me, must have given up after lesson two, because this person made notes in the text (which greatly annoyed me), and starting from lesson 3 the notes stopped ... I must say, I found number two was a little dauting grammar-wise, but now I am proud that I made it beyond that.

@Theodisce: Good to know that there are some correspondences with German. After Hungarian I will really be able to appreciate that :-) and it is my first Slavic language too (if I don't count my dabbling into Russian a few years ago)

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5136 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 6 of 14
28 December 2012 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
Hodně štěstí!

To je dobře, že možná budeš v Budapešti ve květnu. Můžeme tam mluvit česky a maďarsky!

Wompi
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4743 days ago

56 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: German*, Spanish, English
Studies: Czech

Message 7 of 14
29 December 2012 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
Theodisce wrote:
I'll be excited to observe how our German speaking co-learners deal with the language, especially give that there are some striking correspondences between German and Czech both in vocabulary (Reich- říše) and syntax (denken an- myslet na). Good luck!

Yes, there are some interesting correspondences especially with the prefixes. These are very similar to German:

denken an- myslet na
ausdenken - vymyslet
überdenken - premyslet etc.

There are also some funny similarities with hovorovy cesky. I heard something like this but I am not sure anymore (maybe one of our angels know it better :) )
Hold je to tak (Das ist halt so)
Je to hitz => Es ist eine Hitze
Je to heis => Es ist heiss

Edited by Wompi on 30 December 2012 at 5:48pm

Majka
Triglot
Czech Republic
kofoholici.wordpress
Joined 4444 days ago

307 posts - 755 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, German, English
Studies: French
Studies: Russian

Message 8 of 14
02 January 2013 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
Wompi wrote:
There are also some funny similarities with hovorovy cesky. I heard something like this but I am not sure anymore (maybe one of our angels know it better :) )
Hold je to tak (Das ist halt so)
Je to hitz => Es ist eine Hitze
Je to heis => Es ist heiss

There are many words in use of German origin, some are used everywhere, some only regional.

Mentioned:
"Holt je to tak." - quite common, "Czech" spelling
"Je to hic.", "Je hic." - very common, even "Parta Hic" (name of Czech film from '70s, used for a group trying to be the best and trying their best, sometimes used for sports teams or similar
"Je to hajs." - used almost exclusively as baby talk, but "hajsavý" - meaning "ošemetný" (iffy) is more commonly used.

Other examples:
"flek" (záplata) - der Fleck, das Flickstück - regional but common, even more common is "flekovat" - flicken
"cajk" - das Zeug, with additional "Je to v cajku" meaning it is OK
"vercajk" - das Werkzeug

Regional, still used but falling out of use:
"šnitlík" - der Schnittling, der Schnittlauch
"erteple" - der Erdapfel, die Kartoffel
"karfiól" - der Karfiol, der Blumenkohl

there are many others.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version