Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

What does it feel like to be a polyglot?

Tags: Polyglot
 Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
12 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
Maecenas23
Triglot
Ukraine
Joined 4393 days ago

21 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: Ukrainian*, Russian, English
Studies: German

Message 1 of 12
22 December 2012 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
If somebody has the precious experience,please share it. What does it feel like to know a dozen of languages? What qualitative changes the mastery of many languages gives to your mind? Do you develop some special sense of language, some talent? I've heard several times that polyglottery is some sort of transcendent experience which transforms your conscience.
It would be very interesting to hear anyone who can describe this feeling!

Edited by Maecenas23 on 22 December 2012 at 11:55pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 12
23 December 2012 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
I cannot tell you what it is like to speak a dozen languages, because I do not speak that many. And I am
afraid that I am much too down to earth to use big words about my languages. They are a skill I have, like
playing instruments, or knowing how to repair a dozen different sort of vehicles.

But I can tell you what I cherish the most about them, which is the possibility to communicate with people with
whom I could otherwise not have talked.

I have visited your country four times, because I have friends there that I love like my own family. They are
forgetting their French, which I used to talk with them, and I am trying to learn Russian to be able to talk to
them. The first time I went there, almost three years ago, I met my friend's father, who only spoke Russian
and Ukrainian. I could hardly say more than 50 words in Russian at the time, but I tried as best as I could to
communicate, and we discovered that we both loved The Beatles, so we sat the rest of the evening singing
The Beatles.

The next time I came, I knew a little bit more Russian, and I brought a book of Beatles songs, so we sang
some more, and had a rudimentary conversation.

The next time I came, he had passed away, and I sat with my arms around his widow, crying, she because
she had lost him, I because in that same year I had lost both my parents and my only remaining aunt. It had
been the year of death for all of us. And I was so happy, that although my Russian was horribly bad, I still
could understand the main parts of what she said, and I could tell her a bit of my own grief.

So languages for me are not a matter of transcendent experiences. They are about understanding people,
and connecting with people, and that s why I love languages.

18 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4650 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 3 of 12
23 December 2012 at 4:22am | IP Logged 
No polyglot here, but it's an interesting topic, so I'll give my perfectly unqualified reply :)

Learning Korean has been something of a transcendental experience so far. I like to think that the very different language structure and culture (compared with what I'm used to) have made my thinking more flexible. Learning Korean has been much more profound than learning English, although I remember the magic and excitement I used to feel for English when I was still studying it.

Maybe the process of studying is the most profound experience - going from understanding nothing to understanding everything, making your thoughts run in new directions. I do suspect that one day (if I ever get there) Korean will feel as everyday to me as English does. It has already started to become part of who I am and part of what I think.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5548 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 4 of 12
23 December 2012 at 4:31am | IP Logged 
Ah, but there is this quirky bit in our human brains that tends to compare the status quo of today to the status quo of yesterday. That means if there is some kind of radical, but slow change regarding how we perceive the world or ourselves, we're not supposed to notice it - and mastering several languages takes a long time. And if we do notice, it's mostly through feedback from other people, or interaction with them.

The only thing I can imagine that might make people feel like they reached a deeper kind of consciousness is that in different languages, you have to provide different kinds of information to convey the same meaning. I read about research that compared speakers of languages with dummy subject, like English or German with speakers of languages that could drop the subject, like Spanish or Japanese. The setting was one where the test subjects could watch somebody do something intentionally, or unintentionally (like dropping a vase on purpose or accidentally) - and the speakers of languages with (gendered) dummy subjects usually remembered the gender of that person, speakers of subject dropping languages only when the action was done on purpose.

I'd hazard a guess that there are little bits of information like that that somebody who speaks several languages well tends to remember regardless of language context, because they might always need them to talk about an event in a different language. Feeling you have access to such information when other people discard it as irrelevant might make you feel like you're more aware of your surroundings.
But those differences are minor, nothing that should create the illusion of being enlightened.

So, I agree with Cristina. It's about how you use your skills. Still, languages don't teach you about other humans by themselves, and it's also perfectly possible to have such experiences by venturing out of your own social circle and age group in your own culture.

Edited by Bao on 23 December 2012 at 11:11pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Astrophel
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5514 days ago

157 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Cantonese, Polish, Sanskrit, Cherokee

Message 5 of 12
23 December 2012 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
Hi Maecenas,

I don't consider myself a polyglot (yet :)), so unfortunately I can't answer your question, but I thought
you might want a few friendly corrections of your English.

"a dozen of languages" should be "a dozen languages", or "dozens of languages". Always use "of" with
the latter, never with the former. Either would work, but "dozens" sounds a little better in your
sentence, because "a dozen" implies precisely that amount, or close to it, whereas "dozens" often just
means "a lot".

Also, I think you mean "consciousness" rather than "conscience". The two words are similar and even
native speakers sometimes mix them up, but "consciousness" means awareness and the ability to think,
and "conscience" is moral sense and the feeling of right and wrong.

These aren't big mistakes but correcting them will help you sound much better :) Good luck with
language learning!
6 persons have voted this message useful

mahasiswa
Pentaglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4214 days ago

91 posts - 142 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Malay
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Persian, Russian, Turkish, Mandarin, Hindi

Message 6 of 12
23 December 2012 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
I read about research that compared speakers of languages with dummy subject, like
English or German with speakers of languages that could drop the subject, like Spanish or Japanese. The
setting was one where the test subjects could watch somebody do something intentionally, or
unintentionally (like dropping a vase on purpose or accidentally) - and the speakers of languages with
(gendered) dummy subjects usually remembered the gender of that person, speakers of subject
dropping languages only when the action was done on purpose.

I notice this all the time. For instance, French not being my mother tongue and despite studying Russian
via Le russe sans peine, sometimes I remember translations only in French, sometimes only in English, it
depends whether my mnemonic device plays with the grammar or cognates of the one language or the
other. Last night for instance I made the acquaintance of a Russian girl and told her that, yes, the sounds
are hard sometimes. For instance, the word 'Хмурый' [xmɨri], which I only learned a day before as
'renfrogné', not having the English equivalent 'sullen'. Had I known it, would a not-native speaker of
English even have the equivalent Russian word in mind? It's only possible, that is, there's a chance that
even had I known the English word she would still be unsure due to my developing Russian accent what
word I really meant!

I find the phenomenon of memory so fascinating and at the same time so intangible that by studying
languages I am doing something I enjoy, and at the same time, witnessing the beautiful inner workings
of memory without actually knowing the technical jargon that neurologists and psychologists use to
describe it, although to do so would be just the same as learning another language I'm sure! :P

I find that the more new languages I begin to study in earnest, the more confident I am when speaking a
new language. I didn't speak French for years studying since elementary school and eventually I mounted
a wall that stopped me from trying to speak it, and it probably had little to do with the amount of
grammar exercises I completed, rather, with my own perception of how to learn a language, which
almost always seem easier to do by speaking, now that I have experience in doing it in so many different
languages! It's always interesting to feel how one language can slip away when you don't study it for an
extended period of time and how in a few days most of it can come rushing back! Again, this is less
specific to any particular language and rather is more of an observation on the phenomenon of human
memory.

I can't speak anything but English fluently, although my French and German are rather up to scratch I'd
like to think, but it's lovely to study so many languages and the fascination with memory is definitely a
component, whether conscious or subconscious, in every polyglot's mind.
3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 7 of 12
23 December 2012 at 11:01pm | IP Logged 
Just like it feels not being a polyglot.
1 person has voted this message useful

tanya b
United States
Joined 4560 days ago

159 posts - 518 votes 
Speaks: Russian

Message 8 of 12
24 December 2012 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
Many of the polyglots here seem to be almost "accidental" polyglots because they are from heavily multilingual areas like Northern Europe, so they have a built-in advantage over many other wanna-be polyglots.

So probably many of them take it for granted that they have this remarkable ability.

But as accomplished as they are, I doubt that their rate of divorce, depression, or suicide is any different than that of non-polyglots.

However, they do have the benefit of knowing that if they are ever kidnapped by foreigners they will have a better chance of understanding what their kidnappers are saying.

Edited by tanya b on 24 December 2012 at 3:33am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version