zerrubabbel
United States
Joined 4386 days ago

232 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 1 of 2
23 December 2012 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
everyone, I encourage you to pick a target language and assess yourself in a similar manner, doing this has made
me think about where Im weak and what I need to work on. post em, and as always, encourage constrictive criticism
:D

Japanese level self assessment

point of reference: http://www.linguadiversa.co.uk/1c74cc80.png
by making myself give reasons why I'm not any farther than claimed, I believe this assessment to be relatively
accurate

Understanding listening B1 - no farther because I tend to get lost with extended discussion, and I still have trouble
extrapolating the meaning of unfamiliar words, however, I can easily understand most headlines and follow
conversations on familiar topics

Reading - A2 because of the limitation of the kanji I know, I function as an elementary school student would [your
average 2nd grader] , but luckily in practical use, I have no need for worrying of going hungry, finding my way to a
station or purchasing train tickets from a vending machine

Speaking- B1 I am able to use spontaneity and I don't need a script to sit down and figure out the grammar I'm
going to use, I understand the grammar quite well in that its not often the interrupting factor of communication, I
should probably keep a dictionary handy though… however topics of a more abstract nature are still difficult

Speaking Production- B1 the description given seems to reflect accurately how I view my ability to produce. I am not
a B2 status because I simply don't know enough words to always clearly state the idea Im trying to communicate, I
feel this is a nuance thing in using words with similar definition but different connotation [ like sprinkle, rain, pour,
torrent] I also can see myself having trouble explaining why something is good or bad and giving enough details
and explaining options

Writing- back to a kanji limitation, can't write what I can't read, back to A2 here [in both reading and writing
categories, with the help of a dictionary I would be able to do better, but come on, that dosnt count :P]

other notes… I dream fairly often in japanese, I think its in relation to the learning process as I often feel like I
understand the grammar better while asleep, less influence from English maybe… I have begun using Facebook and
youtube in japanese, and I am finding my beginner materials to be less time effective than trying to read a real
japanese text or watch a TV show without subs

Final over all assessment: B1-
on the low side of B1 because I really can't get past reading and writing being as low as they are, and I still have
trouble with synonyms [honyaku and tsuuyaku and the like]… because of that, I have to hold my assessment back

Edited by zerrubabbel on 23 December 2012 at 12:06am

1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4654 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 2 of 2
23 December 2012 at 5:02am | IP Logged 
That's a good point of reference! I like it much better than the vague descriptions on wikipedia.

Korean: Closing in on B2, with speaking lagging behind a little.

I can understand extended speech and lectures and follow even complex lines of argument provided the topic is reasonably familiar. Yes. (If "reasonably familiar" means either a general life topic or anything I've had some exposure to vocabulary-wise).

I can understand most TV news and current affairs programmes. Not yet. (Working on it. I'll probably understand the general trajectory of most programs, but political and economic vocabulary is still my weak point.)

I can understand the majority of films in standard dialect. Yes. (Probably around 70-90%.)

I can read articles and reports concerned with contemporary problems in which the writers adopt particular attitudes or viewpoints. Partly. (It really depends on the topic and style of the article. I'll at least understand what the topic is and usually also the very general trajectory.)

I can understand contemporary literary prose. Partly. (Also depends on the style. I am currently reading a contemporary novel without too much trouble.)

I can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that make regular interaction with native speakers quite possible. Not yet. (I haven't really tried since July, so I don't exactly know. It seems like all I need is to activate my passive skills and get faster formulating correct sentences. I can do it in writing.)

I can take an active part in discussion in familiar contexts, accounting for and sustaining my views. Not yet. (Last time I tried expressing my views about something I failed miserably. May be possible with a few select topics.)

I can present clear, detailed descriptions on a wide range of subjects related to my field of interest. Partly. (I can write clear, detailed texts on things I have read or watched in Korean, but I couldn't spit out a good essay on any topic I'm interested in without a dictionary.)

I can explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of several options. Not yet. (I haven't tried writing this type of text yet.)

Edited by druckfehler on 23 December 2012 at 2:55pm

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version