11 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
eccodandini
United States
Joined 5309 days ago

21 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 11
24 December 2012 at 1:46am | IP Logged 
Well, I've just about gotten halfway through Assimil German and up until this point I've had no problem
understanding any of the grammar. Until lesson 55, when they started talking about modal verbs used as part of
what they call "compound infinitives." If someone could explain this or point me to a resource that can, I would
appreciate it.

The specific thing I don't understand is how the use of auxiliary verbs works in the past tense. The first time this
comes up is in lesson 51, in the following sentence:

"Ich habe um zwei Kästen Bier gewettet, und so hab' ich dann hinterher wenigstens in Ruhe trinken können!"

It is this "trinken können" that gives me trouble. The question is: does this only occur in the past tense? and if
there is no past participle, how does one know it is in the past tense? simply because of the "ich habe"? and does it
mean then that it is incorrect to say:

"... und so hab' ich dann hinterher wenigstens in Ruhe trinken gekonnt!"

The further examples in lesson 56 confused me even more.

How, for example, how is this:

Wir haben nicht kommen können.

different from this:

Wir konnte nicht kommen.

Both are in the past tense. so I don't understand a) whether this not-conjugated final auxiliary verb only occurs in
the past tense, and b) how it differents from the simple past + infinitive.

Any help?
1 person has voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5577 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 2 of 11
24 December 2012 at 3:08am | IP Logged 
Those are modal verb constructions, and their present and past perfect forms take present/past tense of haben + action verb infinitive + modal verb infinitive.
Using a participle in this case sounds a bit odd, though it's probably simply non-standard, not completely wrong.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 11
24 December 2012 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
eccodandini wrote:
(...)How, for example, how is this:

different from this:

Wir konnte nicht kommen.

Well, "können" is a mix of "can" and "to be able to", like this:

Wir haben nicht kommen können. - We have not [been able to] come.
Wir konnte nicht kommen. - We could not come.

The end "result" is the same, but the phrasing is different. Think of many ways you can say that you have a book but for some reason it hasn't been read yet: I haven't read the book. I didn't read the book. I couldn't read the book. I haven't been able to read the book. I wasn't able to read the book. And so on...

Basically each sentence is I + negation + read + book.

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 24 December 2012 at 12:21pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4655 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 4 of 11
24 December 2012 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
eccodandini wrote:
"Ich habe um zwei Kästen Bier gewettet, und so hab' ich dann hinterher wenigstens in Ruhe trinken können!"

It is this "trinken können" that gives me trouble. The question is: does this only occur in the past tense? and if there is no past participle, how does one know it is in the past tense? simply because of the "ich habe"? and does it mean then that it is incorrect to say:

"... und so hab' ich dann hinterher wenigstens in Ruhe trinken gekonnt!"

You know it's present perfect because of "ich habe". "Haben" + infinitive + infinitive of a modal verb only occurs in the present perfect. A similar construction is used in the future tense, but then you use "werden": "Ich werde nicht kommen können" ("I won't be able to come"). Using the past participle of "können" here would be a grammatical error.

eccodandini wrote:
How, for example, how is this:

different from this:

Wir konnte nicht kommen.

Both are in the past tense. so I don't understand a) whether this not-conjugated final auxiliary verb only occurs in the past tense, and b) how it differents from the simple past + infinitive.

The first sentence is present perfect ('Perfekt') while the second sentence is simple past ('Präteritum'). However, they both mean the same: "We couldn't come."

But there's a mistake in the second sentence. It's supposed to be: "Wir konnten nicht kommen."

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5872 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 5 of 11
24 December 2012 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
Nice question. I sympathise with you, since I've had the same problem.

Maybe you could take a look at this page. I believe it's well-structured and, albeit in German, easy to understand. Colours do the trick for me. :)

I'd like to add that previous replies already covered the topic but you might appreciate adding a new resource.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Kyle Corrie
United States
Joined 4640 days ago

175 posts - 464 votes 

Message 6 of 11
24 December 2012 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
The previous replies have chipped away at an answer, but I'll elaborate a bit if I
could.

------------------------------

First things first. At your stage of learning, simply forget there even is a past
participle to modal verbs (gekonnt, gewollt, gemusst, etc.). It's not very often that
you would ever even use them.

There are some cases such as, "Das hätte ich viel besser gekonnt." where 'machen' can
be omitted when it's obviously needed. But, "Das hätte ich viel besser machen können."
would be just as suitable.

The same as, "Ich kann das besser machen." and "Ich kann das besser."

Or if you wanted to say, "I didn't mean to." you could say, "Ich wollte das nicht." or
"Ich hab' das nicht so gewollt."

But these are merely examples. Get the past participles of verbs out of your head.

eccodandini wrote:
It is this "trinken können" that gives me trouble. The question is:
does this only occur in the past tense? and if
there is no past participle, how does one know it is in the past tense? simply because
of the "ich habe"? and does it mean then that it is incorrect to say:

Your next problem is that there actually is a past participle.

When forming a perfect tense (haben + ???), the modal verbs remains in its infinitive
form and acts as the past participle.

Michel Thomas offers a very useful analogy when he relates them to different diving
boards.

Imagine a diving platform of varying tiers (while ignoring 'sein' verbs for the
moment). No matter whether you step out onto level 1 (habe), level 2 (hatte), level 3
(hätte), etc... once you've used those verbs and you want to use another verb you're
going to have to jump into the pool (past) and use a past participle.

That's how you know you were in the past, but now you know that the modal verbs will
remain in their infinitive form when acting as past participles in those constructions
with another verb.

Your biggest problem though is that you're trying to make sense of a German mindset by
means of your corrupted way of English thinking.

To a German - the past is the past.

As Jeff pointed out, there are many ways in English to establish what EXACTLY in the
past. Don't do that in German.

In English if you were to say, "We haven't been able to come." then this would indicate
that over the period of an inditerminate amount of time you were unable to get
someplace.

For example - "We tried to come at 3PM, 5PM, 7PM and then also on Wednesday at 12PM,
2PM and 4PM, but the snow was still so deep that it was impossible."

But if you were to say, "We couldn't come./We weren't able to come." then it would
indicate that you weren't able to come at one specific time in the past (say 1PM) for
whatever reason.

Germans don't really do that. Again, the past is the past. If they feel they need to
add a clarifier then sobeit (Wir haben dreimal versucht, aber wir konnten nicht
kommen.)

So getting back to your original example. "Wir haben nicht kommen können." vs. "Wir
konnten nicht kommen."

These mean the exact same things in German. They've established the past. However,
you'd be hard-pressed to actually find a German who would say, "Wir haben nicht kommen
können."

Hopefully that helps a little.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Camundonguinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 4560 days ago

273 posts - 500 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish
Studies: Swedish

Message 7 of 11
25 December 2012 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
"Wir haben nicht kommen können."
is common in Austrian German and in Bavarian high language.

''Auch Vertreter der FCG und des ÖAAB schlossen sich dem an, lediglich der freiheitliche Kollege hat nicht kommen können oder dürfen, ich weiß es nicht''.

Edited by Camundonguinho on 25 December 2012 at 6:45pm

Kyle Corrie
United States
Joined 4640 days ago

175 posts - 464 votes 

Message 8 of 11
26 December 2012 at 3:50am | IP Logged 
Camundonguinho wrote:
"Wir haben nicht kommen können."
is common in Austrian German and in Bavarian high language.

''Auch Vertreter der FCG und des ÖAAB schlossen sich dem an, lediglich der
freiheitliche Kollege hat nicht kommen können oder dürfen, ich weiß es nicht''.

No... no... that's not right at all. Where did you get that information from?

The only reason the sentence is built like that is because of stylistic reasons. The
speaker is using two modal verbs to say, "[...] lediglich der freiheitliche Kollege hat
nicht kommen können oder dürfen, ich weiß es nicht."

This would be similar to saying in English -- "He couldn't come... or wasn't allowed. I
don't know which."

But since he's using two modals he can't say, "Er konnte nicht kommen oder dürfen." and
build a proper sentence.

It looks like you tried to Google "kommen können" and found this Austrian website
(http://www.parlament.gv.at/PAKT/VHG/BR/BRSITZ/BRSITZ_00679/ SEITE_0157.html) and then
came to a ridiculous conclusion.

I don't think you have a clue about what you're talking about.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version