France
Joined 5219 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 9 of 17
26 December 2012 at 8:05pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
I read a couple of the sample pages at amazon (these were uploaded in reverse order, btw, so scroll to the bottom
of the sample) and I thought it seemed decent, certainly good enough to enjoy and learn from.

I read A couple of the Treebeard chapter and have the same feelings about the translation, so I ordered the book.

songlines wrote:
Off-topic for The Hobbit, but I notice that Barry Goldstein's site also lists a translation of a chapter from Apsley
Cherry-Garrard's The Worst Journey in the World. I don't read Yiddish, so can't tell what the translation's
like, but the English-language original is one of the classics of the literature of polar exploration.
Picador's hardcover edition (1994) is beautifully made, but - in whatever form you read it - the writing is
excellent: quiet and understated; infused with wry humour. And - assuming you have an interest in that sort of
thing - the narrative is an absolutely fascinating account of a polar expedition.

I read the extract you uploaded and it really seems to be a fun and intersting read. You definitely got me interested in reading it !
1 person has voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5020 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 17
27 December 2012 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
akkadboy wrote:

I read the extract you uploaded and it really seems to be a fun and intersting read. You definitely got me interested
in reading it !

Glad you liked it.   I've realized it's also available on Project
Gutenberg
. (Unfortunately only in English; but then you'll at least have the original to Goldstein's translated
extract.)

Edited by songlines on 27 December 2012 at 4:04am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 17
27 December 2012 at 9:26am | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
Naturally, I bought it within an hour or two of making the discovery. I plan to read it right away, but I also feel I
have to do what I can to support the (currently non-existent) translation-into-Yiddish industry.

BTW: Interview (in English) with the translator here: link

EDIT: I'm starting to get frustrated with the linking system here. It really seems like a random thing as to whether
or not my links will work on any given day. Here's one more try:

link
not to take this awesome thread offtopic, but do you use this forum on different computers/browsers? the link problem is a known bug for Chrome. let's see if both show up correctly in my quote of your post (i use firefox)

edit: the first link only showed up properly after i erased a line break

Edited by Serpent on 27 December 2012 at 10:21am

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4499 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 12 of 17
27 December 2012 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
I've been strictly in Safari for a while now, and on a single computer.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6720 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 17
27 December 2012 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
<slightly off-topic>
I know people have reported different results depending on if they manually typed [ U R L = ...] or clicked the URL icon above the text field (for me, the latter always works). The second link on your post didn't include http:// which made it part of the HTLAL domain.*

At the other forum I'm moderating I think I explained a dozen times (to the same member!) how to embedd a Youtube clip.
</slightly off-topic>

*http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/www.yiddishbookcenter. org/audio/now-yiddish-der-hobit-hobbit
2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4499 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 14 of 17
27 December 2012 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
When I posted that link twice, it worked only the second time. The only difference there was that instead of usnig
the paste-from-clipboard function to put the link into the post, I tried typing it one character at a time. I've found
that once I try making a link and it doesn't work, editing it in place never fixes it, but I can do the exact same thing
again in a new post or in a different area in the same post, and it might work. It seems like it's less likely to work
with links to HTLAL pages, but sometimes it works.

I know it strictly speaking is deterministic, but the causes are sufficiently obscure for me as to appear entirely
random. Or all the suggestions I've seen so far, none work all the time, and none fail all the time.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4499 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 

Message 15 of 17
06 January 2013 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
Update: I received my copy of the book and have had a chance to read a decent bit and get a good feel for the
translator's style. I saw that this past week's Yiddish Forverts had a short blurb on the back of section one that
mentioned this book, but was utterly dismissive of it ("one wonders why you would bother making this translation
in the first place"). There was a more balanced, but nevertheless negative review posted on amazon, as well. Here's
the review that I wrote:

I have to respectfully disagree with the overall verdict of the review entitled "An Antoyshung." Most of all, I'm
unaware of any translation of a popular work into Yiddish on this scale in my lifetime, and that alone should have
Yiddishists jumping for joy. Beggars can't be choosers. I can understand that the reviewer, and the Forverts,
perhaps may not approve of the "quality" of the Yiddish--as the translator notes in a publicly available interview
with the Yiddish Book Center, he is not exactly a native speaker of Yiddish, and one must expect that to show. A
quick peek at the translator's website suggests that he may be a bit eccentric, as well. (You probably have to be to
translate the Hobbit into Yiddish!) The crayon drawings on the cover and the fact that each book is printed only on
demand also should be a sign that this is very much an amateur project. I doubt that he had a fluent Yiddish-
speaking editor to work with on this project.

Nevertheless, as one who has been learning Yiddish for about 2 years, I find this translation significantly easier to
read than quite a few works in the canon of Yiddish literature. A key reason I believe, is because of the author's
(admittedly interesting) choice of vocabulary. I use the Weinreich dictionary, and I have not yet encountered a
single unknown word to me that I did find in Weinreich, spelled exactly as Weinreich spelled it (though I can follow
the story well enough without the dictionary if need be). I doubt that is coincidence. Whether or not this is to be
desired from a literary standpoint is open to debate, but it makes it infinitely easier to read than, e.g., Shalom
Aleichem, who often seems to expect his readers to be fluent in both Yiddish AND Russian, or I. J. Singer, whose
prose is unreadable for me without consulting a Polish dictionary every few words.

I find especially bewildering the note regarding this translation being too difficult for a child to read. First of all, I
reject the idea that nothing should be published in Yiddish unless it is so simple as to bore the Yiddishists. That
the reviewer suggests two books written in roman letters says quite a lot about what is available today. But
furthermore, halevai there should be thousands of Yiddish-speaking 11- and 12-year-olds complaining that "if
only this translation had been slightly less awkward, I would be able to read it!" While there may be some, I sadly
can't say as I know personally ANY children of that age who are in a position to be reading a relatively sophisticated
300-page novel in Yiddish (I would LOVE to hear that I'm wildly off-base here!). Furthermore, looking back at the
first few pages in the English original, I see quite a bit of obscure vocabulary on the part of Tolkien himself, such as
"laburnums," "confusticate," "depredations," and so on. I highly doubt that the ghost of I. B. Singer himself could
translate these words in a non-awkward way, staying true to the original text, and yet not using obscure terms and
not making it hard for a 21st-century child to understand.

In sum, I believe that if you have reasonable expectations for this book, it will exceed them, in spite of whatever
faults it may have. Perhaps I am one of the "heysse Chassidim for Tolkien" mentioned in the shockingly glib review
by the Forverts, because I love this book.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Malek
Groupie
Christmas Island
Joined 4154 days ago

60 posts - 76 votes 

Message 16 of 17
08 January 2013 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
I got my copy a few days ago, Geoff. Can't wait to get reading it... which will happen at some point.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version