Speaks: German*
Studies: English, Spanish

Message 17 of 49
04 January 2013 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
Wort wrote:
Currently, my main problem is the correct pronunciation of the r/rr since most
German speakers produce this
sound using the uvula whereas in Spanish you have to make an alveolar one if I'm not mistaken.

You're not mistaken. Conversely, my uvular 'r's are not very bad but one of my biggest headaches with German
pronunciation is separating them from 'g's - put them together und ich habe große Probleme!

Happy New TAC BTW! :)

Y lo que a mí me cuesta más son las combinaciones que contienen o "d" o "t" sucedidas de la "r" puesto que intenté
aprender la r alveolar sustituyéndola con "d". Por lo tanto no sé pronunciarlas correctamente :/. Realmente espero
que el dicho "Ejercicio hace al maestro" sea verdad! jajaja

¡Me alegraría muchísimo si pudieras corregir los errores que cometí! :) (O sea, es muy probable que haya cometido
algunos errores, al menos con seguridad hay cosas que un nativo expresaría de otra manera)

@Toffeeliz: Yes, you're right, but I thought I should take some classes at the beginning because I wanted to be able
to ask a teacher, if there would be any nebulosity (my first try to learn Russian in summer went wrong since I had
felt totally lost in grammar and pronunciation rules). :)

January 4th 2013

Spanish:

I had another 45 minutes of conversation with a native speaker talking about some phrases like "ir al grano",
"ponerse como un tomato", "estar sopa", etc. Moreover, I repeated some vocabulary.

Russian:

I started the second unit of my computer program as well as I went through the words I had learnt before. Well, I
know, I should begin to learn the formation of the plural - Nominative of course! :D
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5021 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 18 of 49
06 January 2013 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
Wort wrote:
lo que a mí me cuesta más son las combinaciones que contienen o "d" o "t" sucedidas de la "r" puesto que intenté

followed by an 'r' -> "seguidas", rather than "sucedidas"

Quote:
aprender la r alveolar sustituyéndola con "d". Por lo tanto no sé pronunciarlas correctamente :/.

Mmm. With 'd for r' you still let air pass around your tongue sides, right? To pronounce the Spanish 'r' correctly you need to expand it laterally so the only way to get the air out is to make your tongue flap from that position.

Quote:
Realmente espero
que el dicho "Ejercicio hace al maestro" sea verdad! jajaja
Hehe, das hoffe ich :)

Quote:
¡Me alegraría muchísimo si pudieras corregir los errores que cometí! :) (O sea, es muy probable que haya cometido
algunos errores, al menos con seguridad hay cosas que un nativo expresaría de otra manera)

Other than what I mentioned, "los errores que cometí" is OK for most Latin American Spanish variants, but if you meant "the mistakes I just made" (implying only a very short time since) then you probably want to say "he cometido" if your aim is to speak Spanish Spanish. Maybe it's even better to say "haya cometido" (meaning you've just probably --instead of necessarily-- made some mistakes).

Wort
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4335 days ago

82 posts - 87 votes 

Message 19 of 49
19 January 2013 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
So, I didn't make any updates for nearly two weeks now, so I think it's time to do so. :)

Two weeks ago, school started again so that week I hadn't any time for studying, since we got a lot of things to
prepare. Then, this week I got a bad cold and again I couldn't really study .

However, I did repeat and learn some new Spanish vocabulary and I'm thinking of buying me the first Harry Potter
in Spanish - I only fear that the level of it might be too exigent.

Unfortunately, I haven't made any progress in Russian and I'm very sad about this fact. Actually I'm a bit
demotivated but I know that I have to stay strong, especially at the very beginnings because afterwards I'l fell more
confident when I can read and speak a little bit more, I suppose. I'll start the classes again on Tuesday. :)

@mrwarper:

Gracias por tus correcciones. Me alegro muchísimo de que un nativo corrija mis errores. En cuanto a si mi objeto
(aim?) es hablar de una manera española o latinoamericana he de decir que no lo sé. Aprendo lo que dicen mis
libros y profesores así como leo y escucho mucho por mi mismo, pero no estoy seguro - quizás es mejor quedarse
neutral al principio antes de especializarse en un cierto dialecto. Sin embargo, estoy considerando ir a España de
viaje de idiomas para 2 semanas este verano - vamos a ver jaja! Desgraciadamente la r sigue difícil para mí... me
parece que debería practicar más.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 20 of 49
19 January 2013 at 11:19am | IP Logged 
When I hear of how much people struggle to learn the Russian or Spanish R I guess I cannot complain about
the struggle I had to learn to use the German/French one. In Norway we use both, according to where you
grew up, so in my family my father and sister who both grew up in Southern Norway and Western Norway
used the French R and my mother and I who grew up in Eastern Norway used the standard Norwegian R,
which sounds like the weak little brother of the Spanish and Russian one. The French/German one used to
be considered posh, so when I was a kid wealthy people would have a nanny from the South so that the kids
would grow up speaking the standard Eastern dialect with a French/German R. And the silver lining for you
is that if you ever decided to pick up Norwegian, you would get a posh R for free :-)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 21 of 49
19 January 2013 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
Oh, my dialect has the French/German R and I only learned the rolled r like a year ago.
It's not that hard, it just means sustained effort (I had the idea down in a month or
two).

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 22 of 49
19 January 2013 at 12:28pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
When I hear of how much people struggle to learn the Russian
or Spanish R I guess I cannot complain about
the struggle I had to learn to use the German/French one. In Norway we use both,
according to where you
grew up, so in my family my father and sister who both grew up in Southern Norway and
Western Norway
used the French R and my mother and I who grew up in Eastern Norway used the standard
Norwegian R,
which sounds like the weak little brother of the Spanish and Russian one. The
French/German one used to
be considered posh, so when I was a kid wealthy people would have a nanny from the
South so that the kids
would grow up speaking the standard Eastern dialect with a French/German R. And the
silver lining for you
is that if you ever decided to pick up Norwegian, you would get a posh R for free :-)

It's funny, because the uvular sound is easier than the alveolar one and people use the
former instead of the latter even if everyone pronounces the alveolar sound around
them.

Wort
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4335 days ago

82 posts - 87 votes 

Message 23 of 49
19 January 2013 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
@Cristina: Thanks for the encouragement! Actually, I learnt some Norwegian at the age of 14 taking some classes
due to my big interest for the marvelous landscape and the fascinating culture with all the myths and trolls but at
that time I couldn't imagine learning a language by myself because I only had been learning English and Latin
before. The classes got incredibly expensive and so I stopped learning it. But I definitely want to restart it on day -
it's only a matter of time. :)

Just a little question: How do you Russian learners manage to remember the correct spelling of the words. In my
opinion it's extremely difficult because of the soft/hard signs.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5190 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 24 of 49
19 January 2013 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
Wort wrote:
Just a little question: How do you Russian learners manage to remember the correct spelling of the words. In my opinion it's extremely difficult because of the soft/hard signs.

Probably the same as we do in English. :)

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version