Joined 4161 days ago

15 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German

Message 1 of 11
27 December 2012 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
Welcome everyone to my first TAC log.

Spanish Level and Goals

My Spanish is around B1-B2 (probably C1 for reading). I've gone through lots of ups and downs as it's
the first language I've learned. At the start I had no idea how long it took to learn a language and just
threw myself into it without really knowing what to do.

I learned a lot living in Spain for a couple of years but as an English teacher who lived with an English
teacher and was friends with English teachers, I didn't progress all that quickly. I did a lot of studying
(1-2 hours a day) but didn't throw myself into it like I should have done.

I want to get to a solid C1 level all round. I've made some pretty incredible progress in the past couple
of months using a variation of different methods. I want to feel comfortable using Spanish and really
feel the language when it is spoken.

German Level and Goals

I did 6 months of German at school (17 years ago) so I'm basically starting from scratch. I've completed
the first 6 units of Living Languages German Elementary and have watched a few movies in German
recently.

By the end of 2013 I want to have a good intermediate level. There's no rush with German but I'd love to
get to the stage where I'm focusing a lot more on native resources.

Other Goals

I'm an English teacher who teaches online and I want to keep improving my English teaching style and
the methods that I use. I will write more about this later but I feel that I am applying what works for me
(and others) to my students. The results are improving and I'm happy with their progress.

I am also planning on picking up French in the summer. But I'll only do this once I have escaped
elementary German.

I'll write more about my methods and schedule in my next post. Thanks for reading and I'd love to hear
from those on my team and others on this forum.

P.S. I'm on Team Schnitzel and Team Romulan.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jax
Diglot
United States
Joined 4161 days ago

15 posts - 27 votes

Message 2 of 11
02 January 2013 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
Hangovers hold you back but miraculously I didn't have one this morning. I also woke up with the
added motivation that it's the start of a new year.

The past two months I've been committed to improving my Spanish and I'm starting this TAC 2013
(Team Romulan) with a bit of a tailwind. I'm really happy about my Spanish progress since November
and want to keep the momentum going. German (Team Schnitzel) has been a bit more stop-start, but
tomorrow I throw myself back into it.

Here are some of the things that I've been doing today for Spanish learning (and for the past few
weeks):

• The Glossika Mass Sentence Method - For those who don't know what this is and quick
    search on Youtube will explain it all. This is the best method I've come across which for me strikes a
    balance between specific focus and mass exposure. What I like best about it is that it focuses on being
    able to use the language while learning the vocabulary, constructions etc.

• Pronunciation Focus - Focusing on improving my pronunciation has given me the ability to not
    only pronounce the different sounds correctly, but it helps me remember words, understand better, and
    speak without hesitating so much.

I've mainly been doing this through reading about how to pronounce specific sounds and also through
    mimicking native speakers and recording my voice to compare.

• Mass Exposure - Watching lots of television programs and reading about most things in
    Spanish brings everything together and this is the most enjoyable part of what I've been doing.

I'll write more about how I've adapted the Glossika method in the future. Although I haven't been using
it for that long, I really enjoy doing it and also see that it's got so much potential if you do it correctly
and stick with it.

In terms of television, films, and books, I'm focusing on conversational material and the things that I
enjoy. I'm also going to start learning about a specific topic and I'm only going to use Spanish materials
to learn about it. It's something I have to do this year (more details later) so there won't be any shirking.

Thanks for reading, and tomorrow I'll speak a little more about German.

Jax.

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4261 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 3 of 11
02 January 2013 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
I look forward to reading about how you modified the Glossika mass sentence method and how it helped you. I did not know about that method; sounds interesting but also sounds like too much work in a language where you are a total beginner to me. I might try it later though.

fmmarianicolon
Diglot
United States
Joined 4136 days ago

28 posts - 30 votes
Studies: Sign Language
Studies: Japanese

Message 4 of 11
04 January 2013 at 8:14pm | IP Logged 
Howdy, fellow Romulus team member! I'm also intrigued to learn how the Glossika method
works for you. Additionally, you mentioned mass exposure. What are your favorite topics
that you will be learning about in the secondary languages?

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5016 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 5 of 11
04 January 2013 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
Mmm. A German teammate, Spanish godchild, fellow English teacher. Good, I'll stay tuned :)

Oh, BTW: good luck with your goals, happy new year, etc. ;)

Jax
Diglot
United States
Joined 4161 days ago

15 posts - 27 votes

Message 6 of 11
13 January 2013 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the comments so far.

"Howdy, fellow Romulus team member! I'm also intrigued to learn how the Glossika method
works for you. Additionally, you mentioned mass exposure. What are your favorite topics
that you will be learning about in the secondary languages? "

In Spanish I read a lot of travel blogs. I love travelling and went away for a long time when I was
younger. Reading travel blogs is really interesting for me and the language is conversational and
descriptive. This is a great site
for Spanish learners

I also just read about topics that are related to my interests and opinion blogs about world news and
current affairs. I tend to delve into a topic and stay there for a while; the last topic that I read a lot
about was the shooting in CT recently.

And then I watch TV shows; at the moment The O.C. is proving great for conversation (and learning how
to be an angsty teenager again!).

Glossika Method

The Glossika Mass Sentence Method, in a nutshell, requires
that you find some English -> Spanish sentences, record them using your own voice, listen to them ten
times (one time writing them down), and then record just the Spanish phrases once this has been done.

I started doing this a few weeks ago and although it is early, I have found that I've made some really
good progress.

Glossika talks about getting a phrase book and recording the sentences. What I've been doing is
focusing on what I've had problems with (time expressions in Spanish) and "mining" about a dozen
sentences for each grammar point. For example, "hace mucho tiempo que no..." and then adding in
different endings. Then I'll take the phrase, "hacía mucho tiempo que no...," "llevo cinco años.." etc.

What I've found is that now I can just reel off the above structures, and much more complex structures,
without thinking. I see it as like a personalized Michel Thomas course for intermediate to advanced
speakers.

I also add sentences from interviews, the novel that I'm reading, the travel blogs I talked about, and
from phrase books too.

I'm a lot busier than I thought I was going to be for the start of the year, but I listen to the sentences
while doing housework or working in the garden. I also do the dictation more than once as I love writing
and find the I'm much more connection when I'm writing and listening.

Nothing is forced and I'm not testing myself to remember the sentences. It's working great for me at the
moment and I'm going to experiment more with this over the next few months.

I look forward to reading about how you modified the Glossika mass sentence method and how it
helped you. I did not know about that method; sounds interesting but also sounds like too much work
in a language where you are a total beginner to me. I might try it later though.

He recommends that beginners don't do this. The pronunciation is important, but recording and
hearing my voice is great for where I am at the moment. I'm self-correcting a lot and finding that my
pronunciation is improving.

Well, that's Spanish..
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jax
Diglot
United States
Joined 4161 days ago

15 posts - 27 votes

Message 7 of 11
13 January 2013 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
German

I started with Michel Thomas when I started learning Spanish, and after doing the first five chapters of
Living Language German (and getting a little bored of it), I have gone back to Michel.

I did the first 3 lessons last night and really enjoyed it. I love the repetition, slight changes to sentences,
and the relaxed atmosphere (although I remember the Spanish lessons getting quite tense at times).

So, about 30 minutes a day of German at the moment (after a slow start to the year) and nothing much
to report.

English Teaching

My students are back, we're in full swing, and I'm creating a lot more content for my students. I'm
finding that even my advanced students have problems with things like, "good vs well." The difference
between "wish" and "hope" was something that they loved learning and I'm looking to do more of this.

I'm also going to introduce more reading for homework, using different readers, and then using it as a
conversation starter or a language focus.

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. In the next couple of days I'm going to do the rounds of
my two teams and see how everyone is doing.

Jax.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5875 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 8 of 11
13 January 2013 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
hi jax!

Jax wrote:
GermanI'm also going to introduce more reading for homework, using different readers, and then using it as a conversation starter or a language focus.

You give them books and they actually read and talk about them afterwards? Wow, they sound like adults! Are they? My ESL students are mostly teens.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version