Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4143 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 1 of 63
27 December 2012 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
I am starting German from scratch. I'll be mainly using assimil, but also Michel Thomas and Pimsleur.

German is useful, plus its litterature has a certain appeal. I admit I have never been very keen on learning it, but I believe now it is time. I have a feeling I will need it sooner or later.

My goal is to keep a log, progressively writing more and more in German. I will start watching German tv and films, reading German newspapers and books. But that is a distant dream for now.

I will stick to the assimil course, study at least 30 minutes a day, or more. I have no time goal, just a perseverence one!

Edited by renaissancemedi on 30 December 2012 at 9:05pm

1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4143 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 2 of 63
30 December 2012 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
I joined the Team Schnitzel TAC 2013, and I am very happy about that.

I am getting organized, so as to make learning as fun as possible. I have many thoughts on how to proceed with this. I will immediately start a journal in German. Writing helps me a lot. I will learn to express myself, even if at first all I write down is what my name is, and how nice tea is!

However, speaking is very important as well. So the non-writing teaching method will be in daily use.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4143 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 3 of 63
04 January 2013 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
I finally started my German journey! First cd, first lesson, pimsleur.

I rather like it. You end up having a rather good pronunciation with all those audio courses.

I should complement the audio with a writing course. Now I know how to say "excuse me", but not how to write it!

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4143 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 4 of 63
05 January 2013 at 9:00am | IP Logged 
Last night I finished the erste lehrstunde on der artikel, for a greek course. German method by Hari Patsi. This is (used to be?) an publishing company for learning languages (among other things), and it's a good but conventional method. Just what I need to balance my audio-only methods. The copyright says 1983, but the material could be older (I don't really know).

So, for the first lesson I learned the definite article and some nice vovabulary to go with it.

I am very pleased so far.

The way my German studies seem to be going: audio lesson, plus conventional reading/writing lesson. The first for communication, pronunciation, listening and speaking ability, the second for grammar and vocabulary.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5119 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 63
05 January 2013 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
When I can I try to start up a new language with Pimsleur too. It is a good way of getting the pronunciation
right, and to get you to talk. I would have liked transcripts though, because I need to see how a language is
written.

It looks like you are off to a very promising start!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Dagane
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4296 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishB2, Galician
Studies: German
Studies: Czech

Message 6 of 63
05 January 2013 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
Hi, Renaissancemedi. As a team mate, I hope you success in learning German. Do you have any kind of whole goal for the year? I think that's helpful in order to head somewhere. I think I understand what you mean by saying that you weren't very 'keen on learning it', but sssshhh, steer clear of the bad thoughts! It's important to keep possitive feelings.
2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4143 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 7 of 63
05 January 2013 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
When I can I try to start up a new language with Pimsleur too. It is a good way of getting the pronunciation
right, and to get you to talk. I would have liked transcripts though, because I need to see how a language is
written.

It looks like you are off to a very promising start!

Thank you, Cristina! You have helped me a lot from the very start. To be honest I wasn't going to start with Pimsleur. But it got me, so to speak. I am very happy with it!

I'll check out everybody else's logs later today. Everybody is so advanced with their German, I really have to step on it! But with such a team, I know I will never lack support and motivation.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4143 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 8 of 63
05 January 2013 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
Dagane wrote:
Hi, Renaissancemedi. As a team mate, I hope you success in learning German. Do you have any kind of whole goal for the year? I think that's helpful in order to head somewhere. I think I understand what you mean by saying that you weren't very 'keen on learning it', but sssshhh, steer clear of the bad thoughts! It's important to keep possitive feelings.

Thank you, I wish you the same!
As for a goal, it started as: let's start a course and see if I finish it.
But now it is more: Study every single day for at least 1 and a half hour (or more). Audio, reading and writing, grammar. I want to be able to speak and have conversaitions by the summer.

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version