24 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 9 of 24
04 January 2013 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
@tarvos: Dank je, tarvos! Ik ben van plan dit jaar iets in m'n doeltalen te
schrijven, dus jij kan me natuurlijk daarbij helpen, want m'n Nederlands wordt erg
roestig en waarschijnlijk klinkt heel vreemd. Dit jaar volg ik ook jouw log en het is
erg interessant!

Geen problemen om dit te verstaan! Kennelijk is je Nederlands niet zo slecht als je
zelf denkt! Je woordvolgorde klopt (en dat is al heel wat in het Nederlands).

Twee dingen - "roestig" kun je in het Nederlands niet figuurlijk gebruiken (ik zou
eerder zeggen - mijn Nederlands gaat achteruit/blijft steken op hetzelfde niveau). Ik
neem aan dat dit een vertaling van Engels "rusty" is?

Vervolgens gebruik je en, hiermee leid je eigenlijk een nieuwe bijzin in; dat betekent
dat je ook een onderwerp moet hebben. Als het onderwerp hetzelfde is als in het eerste
deel, mag je het niet weglaten; je moet een dummy gebruiken (en dat is "het").

Dat is het verder, volgens mij komt je Nederlands wel op z'n pootjes terecht. Het
scheelt ook dat de Nederlandse grammatica muv zinsvolgorde eigenlijk niet zo heel zwaar
is.

Edited by tarvos on 04 January 2013 at 2:57pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 10 of 24
04 January 2013 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
You certainly should not get bored this month either:-). Have you found there to be any major cultural differences betwen the US and Croatia by the way?
1 person has voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5145 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 11 of 24
04 January 2013 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
I'm looking forward to following your log again this year, you're on such a great language adventure! It's great that you're really taking advantage of your opportunities to use German and Spanish in natural settings too.

How does it feel to get the chance to speak at least one foreign language intensively every day, compared to how it was back home in the States? How much English do you speak there? Do you ever go days without it?

Did you find your Croatian interfering with your German when you were speaking it with your friend?

(I hope you don't mind me asking you so many questions)

JohannaNYC
Bilingual Triglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4248 days ago

251 posts - 361 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, Italian
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 12 of 24
04 January 2013 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
Like always, reading your blog is quite a pleasure. I look forward to continue living in
Croatia vicariously through you :)

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5938 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 13 of 24
14 January 2013 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
@tarvos: Dank je voor de verbeteringen en de aanmoediging! :)

@Solfrid Cristin: It's hard to generalize a country as big and diverse as the United States, so any observations I make here will be based only on where I'm from. But I did notice early on that Croatians don't usually greet each other in passing on the street if they don't already know each other unless they intend to strike up a conversation. I think I confused a lot of people when I first arrived by walking around town and casually greeting the people I passed, and then continuing to walk by without saying anything else.

I've also noticed some things about teenagers here. Where I come from, very few people smoke (or at least not cigarettes), so it was a bit jolting to come here and have practically everyone at my school smoking during every break between classes. I have asthma and I actually got sick the first weekend after school started in September because of being around so much cigarette smoke. I'm often the only one standing around outside the school or sitting in a café who is not puffing on a cigarette, and my classmates have told me that they think it's weird that I don't smoke. Several of my fellow exchange students in other cities have already caved to peer pressure and started smoking since coming to Croatia. Another thing is that from what I've seen, the two predominant kinds of social activities that there are here are 1) going for coffee (ići na kavu, the most basic social interaction), and 2) going to a bar/club/some other place to drink. Considering that I never drank or even liked coffee before coming here and that the drinking age in the US is 21, those were also shocks for me. As far as I've seen, just casually going for walks or bike rides, doing homework or studying together, or even hanging out at a friend's house and chatting or watching a movie together -- in other words, my main social activities from back home -- don't seem to exist here.

Another thing is that Croatians all seem to share a national phobia of the cold. Even before it started getting cold here, my classmates wore far heavier clothes than I did and would always complain about how cold it was. My German teacher actually gasped and asked me if I didn't have money to buy winter clothes when I came to school in a T-shirt, shorts, and sandals one day in early October. Coming from a mountainous climate that gets much colder than it does here, I'm more or less used to dealing with lower temperatures with the same amount of clothes that they wear for the warmer "low" temperatures here. At home, my host family requires me wear not only socks but also slippers when I walk around the house so that I won't get sick from having cold feet -- even during the summer when I came. However, from what I've heard this isn't unique to Croatia and is actually quite common all throughout Europe and some other parts of the world, so the United States must just be the odd one out here.

The other main cultural differences that I can think of now were just in the Croatian school system, but I think I already described some of those differences in my 2012 log. I'm not particularly a fan of the Croatian education system, to put it kindly, so be careful if you ask me for more details about that because you might very well get a rant in response. ;)

@hribecek When I first arrived in Croatia in August, it was very tiring and required a lot of effort on my part to have to constantly be speaking in a foreign language all day, especially one I didn't know very well. That was made even more difficult by the fact that I hadn't had any previous exposure to the local dialect and my listening skills weren't great to begin with. But now, almost five months later, speaking Croatian is completely normal and automatic for me, and I really don't even think about it anymore unless I'm trying to express something that I don't quite know how to say. At this point I honestly think it will be stranger to have to automatically speak English to people once I return to the US. It just seems inconceivable to automatically speak anything but Croatian with someone unless I specifically know them. That said, I don't think there have been any days without English. I still talk with family and friends back home in English fairly regularly, as well as to some exchange friends here very often, and even some Croatian friends who occasionally want to practice their English. Most of my computer time is also in English, or at least English-based, so it's very hard to escape.

In terms of Croatian interfering with my other languages, I've found that that has become less of a problem the more I practice switching between the language pairs. It has rarely been a problem with English for obvious reasons, and it poses almost no problem with German either anymore, or especially Spanish, since I've been using those languages so much. With languages that I use less frequently like French and Greek, there's still considerable interference from Croatian. Last week I met up with a French exchange friend of mine and a friend of his from home who is originally from Croatia, and the three of us ended up conversing in Croatian because it was easier than trying to use French (for me) or English (for his friend). And on Skype I've found myself completely unable to respond to questions my grandparents have asked me in Greek, because when I try Croatian words come out instead.

Edited by ellasevia on 15 January 2013 at 12:30am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 14 of 24
14 January 2013 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
That's very interesting. And ojease do give me the rant about the Croatian education system :-)

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6952 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 15 of 24
14 January 2013 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
I too was interested by ellasevia's veiled reference to the quality of the educational system and just finished rereading his observations as found here.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6266 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 16 of 24
15 January 2013 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
You've got your work cut out for you. Good luck! I'll follow your log again, and I hope that we'll have a chance
to meet up when you visit Germany.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version