Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
36 messages over 5 pages: 13 4 5  Next >>
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5049 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 9 of 36
31 December 2012 at 3:21am | IP Logged 
Summary:
Pimsleur: Leson 11
Ti Koze Kreyól Leson 6
Pawòl Lakay: Leson 5
Wayne Drop: (Vwayaj nan Evergaldes la): Paj 4
Mèt lawouze(Chita Pa Bay): Chapit Kat

I am also listening to a podcast of lavwadlamerik- Voice of America Haitian Creole Haitian Creole broadcast in the background, and am understanding several words and, occasionally, a sentence.

While searching the lavwadlamerik site, I found Nouvèl an vè- News in Verse. It's a five minute newscast, rapped in Kreyòl! Ohhh for a transcript!

Nouvèl an Vè wrote:
Nan segmans a, ki pase chak vandredi apremidi, J. Lyonel Desmarattes prezante yon rezime nouvèl semenn nan an vè e an rim. Nouvèl an Vè vini ak yon mizik rap anba-anba, e Lyonel pwononse mo yo yon fason komik, pou bay yon pwodui orijinal ki prepare odite yo pou wikenn nan.

My very rough (and maybe not very accurate) attempt at a free translation: In the segments, that come out each Friday afternoon, J. Lyonel Desmarattes presents a weekly news summary in verse and rhyme. News in Verse is accompanied by rap music, and Lyonel pronounces the words in a comic fashion (funny way?) so as to give an original product that gets the audience ready for the weekend.

Edited by iguanamon on 02 January 2013 at 2:37pm

1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Joined 5049 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 

Message 10 of 36
02 January 2013 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
Synergies from using multiple resources are something I really noticed today. Mèt Lawouze (Masters of the Dew, Gouverneurs de la rosée) is getting interesting. Today, I was listening and reading Chapter 5 "yon vye istwa" (an old story) and came across the word "touye" here
Mèt Lawouze (Chita Pa Bay) wrote:
Sovè pran machèt li, epi li touye Doriska
Mèt Lawouze(Chita Pa Bay) wrote:
Sovè took (picked up) his machete, and killed Doriska.
which I remembered from reading the story of Cain and Abel in
Jenèz 4:8 (Genesis 4:8) wrote:
Ann al nan jaden. Vwala, antan yo, nan jaden an, Kayen vire sou frè li, li touye li.
Genesis 4:8 wrote:
And it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.
Touye (tiye- variant) means "to kill".

From Pimsleur, I am now learning to tell time and in Ti Koze Kreyòl I am running into time expressions right now. The format of this free conversation course from Kansas University is monolingual dialogs. I like this format because it makes me think in the language. All the words are defined in the Kreyòl-English glossary. After the dialog there are notes on new constructions and words and several comprhension questions which are to be answered in complete sentences. I like how this course is structured for the most part. What I don't like is the unnaturally slow speech in the audio. Really, how can I complain? I have a free Creole conversation course to learn from.

From Wayne Drop (ti gout dlo) I am learning all about his vwayaj nan Everglades la- his journey through the Everglades. He is now telling a story about how, one hot afternoon last summer, he was blown up into a clowd, condensed from water vapor and fell to the ground in the form of a raindrop into the Kissimee watershed (gòlf). So, I am learning about the water cycle and scientific concepts such as how clouds are formed, gravity and watersheds. Amazing what you can pick up free from the Federal Government.

Wayne Drop wrote:
Mo Vokabile: Pwa se yon fòs natirèl ki deplase bagay anlè nan mitan latè.
Wayne Drop- English wrote:
Vocabulary Word: Gravity is the natural force that causes objects to move toward the center of the earth.

I use this 16 page booklet by reading in Creole first and trying to discern the meaning by context, and my knowledge of Spanish, Portuguese, English and a year of high school French. When I still can't figure out a word- I check my bilingual dictionary (pdf). Next I read the section again with the bilingual text to verify and then back to the Creole text. I don't have any audio for this text, but I have plenty of audio from other sources.

Today, I will be listening to Haitian music while I work and at some point lavwadlamerik podcasts.

Edited by iguanamon on 08 February 2016 at 6:47pm

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Joined 5049 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 

Message 11 of 36
04 January 2013 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
I have decided to put Pawòl Lakay on hold for a while. I have finished the introductory lessons for beginners. The Book describes itself as for beginner and intermediate learners. I'll get back into it when I'm done with Ti Koze Kreyòl and Pimsleur. The Pimsleur course has 30 lessons. I'm almost halfway through it at lesson 14. The course is covering money right now. Ti Koze Kreyòl has 19 lessons and I am on lesson 7 now.

The beginning stages of learning a language is a lot of fun. I am amazed at how much easier and fun it is to learn a language after having two under my belt. I'm on lesson 3 of DLI Haitian Creole. The audio is un-listenable for lessons 3-6. What a shame! This is actually one of their newer courses, dating from 1990. Still the printed drills are very useful.

I am amazed at what is available for resources to learn the language for free. Sweet Coconuts Blog has a lot of material available including audio lessons- already downloaded all 58, exercises, crosswords, grammar, etc. I found a short introductory basic grammar pdf from the Palm Beach County, Florida school system PBC Schools Creole Basic Questions and Answers. What I like about it is a lot of it is written in Kreyòl. It is intended for people who want to translate. If anyone wants me to post all the links I have for free resources for Haitian Creole, just let me know.

I will be having lunch with a Haitian friend next week. So, the Pimsleur "buying a drink and eating" conversations will come in handy. Kisa ou ta renmen bwè? What would you like to drink? Byè oubyen diven? Beer or wine. Ou vle ronm ak ji zorange? Do you want rum with orange juice?

Everything is quite busy on the island now as the Carnival/Three Kings Day parades start tomorrow with the children's parade and end on Saturday with the adult parade. Time for rum, dancing, steel drums and Carnival music, mehson.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4634 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 12 of 36
04 January 2013 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
This is awesome, iguanamon! I will be following with interest!

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Joined 5049 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 

Message 13 of 36
04 January 2013 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
Thanks, kuji. You were an inspiration to me with your Portuguese side project, as well as emk with his Ancient Egyptian. I just want to be able to chat in the language with native speakers. There's not much literature or good cinema to enjoy in the language. I may not even visit Haiti anytime soon. There is plenty of good music though Buzz Carimi.

Haitian Creole is the third largest language here in the Caribbean after Spanish and English. This will definitely add diversity into my life. I want to encourage others to look at the language as a language worthy of study. I also want to show folks that you don't have to have Assimil, count words learned or be afraid of reading or speaking before you are "ready". I'm not afraid to look like a fool.

Don't worry, I haven't given up on Portuguese. I still have a lot more to learn. I'm going to be watching a telenovela once a week called "Gabriela" and working with my tutor on it. There's no subtitles though. That's the point. It forces me to listen, and I'll have to describe the episode accurately, in Portuguese. My tutor doesn't speak English. Pm me for a link if you want.   
2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Joined 5049 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 

Message 14 of 36
06 January 2013 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
I've been studying today with a Haitian Voudou Recording playing in the background- more at DLOC Voudou Archive. The recording is one of several available from the Digital Library of The Caribbean which has many resources, available for free and legal download for Haitian Creole, Spanish, French, English and even some Portuguese. This is where I got my transcripts for youtube interviews and parallel texts of voodoo songs. The translator is a professor at the University of Florida and teaches an introductory class on Haitian Voudou.

If you're studying Haitian Creole, sooner or later you're going to run into Voudou. This is not the stereotypical Hollywood "sticking pins into dolls", but a Haitian representation of a West African religion that sustained the Haitian people during the horrors of slavery. It is a part of the culture, and the language.

The goldmine for listening/reading is the Indiana University Corpus which is several hours of transcribed interviews with audio for free and legal download. There are two issues, 1) no translation and 2) this is the Northern dialect. Hey, it's always something with any language isn't it. You've got to roll with the flow and use what you've got. I have a dictionary, access to native speakers. I'll figure it out. Try not to think why you can't do something but instead, how you can.

The Corpus of Northern Haitian Creole is a huge file, at 500mb. I will be downloading all of it in a zip file soon. The thing with free resources is, hey, this stuff ain't going to stay up forever. HTLAL members recently had a scare when the FSI site went down for a short while. Get a big external hard-drive and start downloading your future language interests before it's not there anymore. Depend on a site being there forever and you take your chances. Everything's ok until it isn't.

I also found the pdf for Ann Pale Potigè- Let's Speak Portuguese which is an 18 page basic phrasebook/vocabulary/grammar document produced by the Brazilian Ministry of Labor and Immigration to help Haitian immigrants adjust in Brazil. It is written in Kreyòl with parallel Portuguese.

I'm up to lesson 15 in Pimsleur now, buying wine for a party and learning about currency, counting, requests, etc. I am now halfway finished with the 30 lesson course.

I'm at lesson 8 with Ti Koze Kreyòl- the Haitian Conversation Course. Jan & Mari (John and Mary) are getting married and about to visit Haiti for their honeymoon. I'm looking forward to exploring Haiti with them. I'm at Chapter 6 of Mèt Lawouze, my listening/reading abridged version of Gouverneurs de la Rosée by Jacques Roumain. The story is getting interesting and I've been listening to the chapters several times throughout the day. I find I understand more and more as I progress through this.

If I didn't have adobe acrobat software and a tablet, this project would drive me crazy. I took the Chita Pa Bay pdf and split it into three parts, the l/r book, the Kreyòl/English glossary and the Picture Dictionary. Now I can look up words a lot more easily when I absolutely must. I think a lot of learners get frustrated with pdf's because they don't have the software to manipulate them and/or a tablet which makes reading them a lot more easy and comfortable. You don't have to have an iPad. I have an HP Touchpad I got 15 months ago for $150. Apps, I don't really care about. It's the pdf's and mp3's that make it so useful for me in language learning.

In addition I've made my own parallel text of the Book of Genesis/Jenèz from the Bible/Bib-la. I am up to the story of Noah and the inondasyon/flood. Prior to Noah, Genesis 5 is an accounting of the descendants of Adam up to Noah. It dovetails nicely with learning how to count because it tells how old someone was when he had his first child and then how old he was when he passed away and I have to add the numbers- great numbers practice.

I'm on page 5 of Wayne Drop- Vwyaj nan Everglades la. Learning about the Kous Dlo/Water Cycle and the Kissemee River:
Wayne Drop Kreyòl wrote:
Seminole yo ak Endyen Miccosukee yo rele l 'Gwo Dlo' paske li detire an 730 mil kare- prèske lajè 800,000 tèren foutbol.
Wayne Drop English wrote:
The Seminole and Miccosukee Indians call it "Big Water" because it stretches for 730 square miles- almost as big as 800,000 football fields.

Orevwa, n a wè pita/ see you later

Edited by iguanamon on 06 January 2013 at 11:26pm

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Joined 5049 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 

Message 15 of 36
08 January 2013 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
I'm making good progress with Wayne Drop- Vwayaj nan Everglades la. I am learning all about, water, river systems, flood control and the Everglades. Along with that there is loads of grammar that I can figure out without a course. Believe it or not, I actually find this to be quite fun!

Haitian Creole uses particles instead of conjugations for tenses. The simple past is formed with the particle "te" (not to be confused with the beverage, tea- same spelling) and the infinitive. It is also formed with context, for example "M wè l iyè/I saw him (her or it) yesterday".

Wayne Drop Kreyòl wrote:
Kèk tan pase, li te kòmanse fè frèt epi van an te kòmanse vante
Wayne Drop English wrote:
A few hours later, it got a little cool and the wind started to blow

I am now halfway finished with the story of the "ti gout dlo". This was a great free find for me and is really helping me to learn the language more quickly. I'm glad I took the time to make my own bilingual text. I am also getting good synergy with my other resources. I'm up to Chapter 8 (Chapit 8) in Mèt lawouze (Chita Pa Bay) which is titled "Dlo"- "Water". I am going to know an awful lot about water in this language.

Haitian Creole is a lot easier to pronounce than French. There are NO silent letters. Each letter has one sound, except when modified by a grave accent (`). I am far from being a linguist but I think it is safe to say that Haitian Creole is quite "r" averse, especially at the end of a syllable or a word, ex: Port au Prince (FR)/Pòtoprens (HC) Quelle heure est-il?(FR)/Kilè li ye? (HC) the "è" is like an "ehh" sound in English almost like the English themselves say a final "r" at the end of a word- lè = l'heure. "When?" (question) = "Kilè". "When" (adverb) = "lè"- When I saw him/lè m te wè l

I finished lesson 17 of Pimsleur today- still dealing with money and counting. Today's lesson even included a bit of haggling vocabulary. This may come in handy the next time I'm in a cab in New Orleans or Miami. HC for "dollar" = "dola" (doh-LAH)

Ti Koze Kreyòl: Lesson 8 (Koze Wit): Nan avyon an/In the airplane. The speech is becoming more natural and the comprehension questions more difficult. There are a total of 19 lessons in this conversation course. For you word counters out there, the book teaches around a thousand words- not that I care about word count. The young couple are quite annoying. If this course went on for 100 lessons I'd have to leave it. As it is, I can put up with them and their adventures ann Ayiti for 11 more lessons.   

Orevwa, n a wè pita!

Edited by iguanamon on 09 January 2013 at 1:18am

Helemano
Japan
Joined 4127 days ago

31 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 16 of 36
08 January 2013 at 4:21am | IP Logged 
Jeez, you making me want to learn Haitian Creole! I've always been fascinated by Haiti. In fact, I'm fascinated by all Caribbean islands, from the Bahamas to T&T.

(I'm formerly kujichagulia, by the way.)

Edited by Helemano on 08 January 2013 at 4:24am

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version