Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
36 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5044 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 33 of 36
09 November 2014 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
As a result of continued slow study, I have decided to move the language up to "basic fluency". My Kreyòl will probably never get to the same level as I have with Spanish and Portuguese but I can speak with natives and read (though this is limited by a distinct lack of materials) and enjoy music. I will continue to try and improve. Also, I have noticed a huge "Scandinavian" type discount with (Lesser Antilles) Caribbean French "Kwéyòl" where I can speak in Haitian and be answered in Kwéyòl and communicate. French is more transparent to me now, because of Kreyòl and my other languages, but I wouldn't dare to try to speak it.

I am so grateful to Kreyòl for not having gender and verb conjugations as such. This has made things a lot easier. I will probably try to have a more in depth look at the Creole spoken here in the Eastern Caribbean. Who knows, I may even try French someday (NO!!!! more conjugations, illogical spellings- aaarrrrrgggghhhh). M pa konnen si m va aprann Franse, oubyen, menm si m vle aprann lang la. Men petèt mwen ta ka chanje lide m. :)

Soon, I will be following the lead of many here and moving all my language-learning activities to a single log. It might make it easier for me to actually keep writing a log for more than a couple of months.

Orevwa, n a wè pita. Mesi anpil pou li sa.

Edited by iguanamon on 09 November 2014 at 6:51pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 34 of 36
10 November 2014 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
Wonderful!!!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 35 of 36
10 November 2014 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations iguanamon!! I'm sure your're far beyond basic fluency. I hope you can keep learning but also enjoying each of these cultures as you do so much, in a way that inspires us.
2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5044 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 36 of 36
10 November 2014 at 7:28pm | IP Logged 
Valeu pelo elogio, Expugnator. Muito obrigado, serpent. The look of joy and surprise on a Creole-speaker's face when they hear a "blan" speaking their language is priceless and worth all the hassle I had in learning it. My only problem is a distinct lack of media available, as you know from having learned Papiamento. Even though there are 10 million Haitian Creole speakers out there, Haiti is so poor and most Haitians are too busy just trying to survive to create a blossoming media culture. I'm happy talking to people, making new friends, reading what I can. Fortunately, I've found a nightly newscast to watch in Kreyòl Telesignal 56 Jounal Kreyòl. (Check out the commercials at the 2:00 mark. They also do a nightly French- Grand Journal broadcast) It helped a lot with my listening and vocabulary, that and watching Haitian Vodou interviews with houngans (transcripts available). I love learning about the culture.

Tenho que dizer obrigado você porque são seus eforços com seus idiomas que me dão a inspiração, e aos muitos outros também. Especialmente agora mesmo- você está à beira de muitos avanços com seus idiomas. Estou muito animado por você!

Mesi anpil, Expug!

Edited by iguanamon on 10 November 2014 at 8:01pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version