Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5660 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 41 of 49
15 November 2013 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
I've dropped a few languages just 'cuz i really can't fit the time in. Lately i've been trying to test out the Goldlist method, but i haven't been having much luck. The first review i remembered maybe 3 or 4 of the 8 i needed to remember, and this week i remembered 2. And all of those were words i'd either already studied or were close cognates (der Aal = the eel). Maybe i'm missing something here, or maybe it's meant to be done with a lot of vocabulary at once (i struggle to add a new word list of 25 words every day) and i'm just going about it too slowly? I dunno. I'll keep going with it and seeing if anything comes out of it.
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4663 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 42 of 49
17 November 2013 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
Ah, you're also trying the goldlist method :) So far, I've been able to distill the 30%, but I still haven't done more than a dozen lists or so. I also don't know whether I will really remember the words I distilled in the long term. I'm just using the method as a way to get a little more out of my reading and if I didn't get exposed to a lot of the language through reading different books and listening to podcasts, I doubt that I'd have a chance to ever remember 30% of the words on the lists... Some words I add also have at least one familiar syllable. I think Huliganov also does a lot of studying besides the lists, so who knows how much the method actually helps with learning words. All I know is that it must be better than nothing ;)

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5660 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 43 of 49
20 November 2013 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
I'm positive for Spanish I could remember 30%, probably even more, just because Spanish words make more sense to me for some reason. German is still a killer for me, vocabulary has always been my weakest link.

I recently invested in an e-book reader, so hopefully that'll make it easier to read while i'm out and about.

Personally, i've found that Iversen's wordlists are the best way for me to get a word into my memory, but lately i've found myself so spread out that i can't really gather the motivation to spend an hour on a wordlist like i could when i just started learning Spanish.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4239 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 44 of 49
20 November 2013 at 9:01am | IP Logged 
大家好。我也是一个语言学生。以前从东方移 民到加国开始用英语。起初不懂很多英文字同 时讲话不流利。第一天上课跟其他
同学一起学英语, 数学和科学但没有上ESL或类似语言课。下课后 回家喜欢看电视和听流行歌曲。经过一年说话 和写作已经达到
标准程度。六个月前我开始用拼音跟朋友用中 文交换电邮。现在我看电视和听收音机有一半 的节目是英语, 另一半是华语。童年
时我没有用 Pimsleur, Rosetta Stone 这种软件来学习语言。我下一个挑战是法语。

When I started learning English, I went to a language class that taught the letters of the alphabet, words &
phrases. After emigrating to Canada, I went to a regular class learning the core subjects including Reading,
Mathematics & Science in English. I did not attend ESL or special classes. Just interacting with people on a day-to-
day basis was sufficient to improve my English vocabulary. Everyday after class I would go home and watch TV or
listen to popular songs of the day. When I was growing up, I did not use computer software such as Pimsleur or
Rosetta Stone to learn English. Right now I'm watching and listening to half of my TV and radio programs in
English and the other half in Chinese. My next challenge would be to learn French.

Quand j'ai commencé à apprendre l'anglais, j'ai pris un cours de langue qui a enseigné les lettres de l'alphabet, les
mots et expressions. Après avoir émigré au Canada, je suis allé à une classe ordinaire apprentissage des matières
de base comme la lecture, les mathématiques et la science en anglais. Je n'ai pas assisté ESL ou des classes
spéciales. Il suffit de communiquer avec les gens au cours de la journée, était suffisante pour améliorer mon
vocabulaire anglais. Après l'école, je rentrais chez moi et regarder la télévision ou écouter des chansons
populaires. Quand je grandissais, je n'ai pas utilisé un logiciel comme Pimsleur ou Rosetta Stone pour apprendre
l'anglais. Maintenant je regarde et écoute les programmes de télévision et de radio de la moitié en anglais et
l'autre moitié en chinois. Mon prochain défi serait d'apprendre le français.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5660 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 45 of 49
21 November 2013 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
谢谢你来参观我的log!:) 其实你写得都很好,你的法语可能有点问题可 是还是不错。我只希望一天我的汉语和你的法 语说得一样好!

现在我学好几个外语,所以不太看电视和电影 ,但是我觉得这也很重要。

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4239 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 

Message 46 of 49
21 November 2013 at 6:31am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
                     谢谢你来参观  &n bsp; 我� ��        log!  &nbs p;:) 其� ���� ��    �� �写得都很好,

的法语可能有
点问题
可是还
��

不错。
我只希望一天我的汉语和你的法语说得一样好 !

现在我学好几个外语,所以不太看电视和电影 ,但是我觉得这也很重要。

I have the same problems with foreign languages translating in the proper context. My English is my strong
language, my Chinese is second. The problem people have is that they would write with phrases that are
understandable but using words & phrases that are not commonly used in the target language. 1 example in
French is that if you're telling someone to come to your place for dinner you might say: "à ma maison" the way you
would in English: "to my house" but the French prefers: "chez moi". Another example would be somebody at the
door you'd say "I'm coming". In French instead of saying: "Je viens" using the verb "venir" for to come you'd say:
"J'arrive".

等我来改正你打的中文句子, 希望你不会介意:
1. 参观=英语的 sightsee. 你可以参观一个地方但打开网站你应该用 "流览/浏览"... 就是英语的 "surf the net" / "browse a
website" In this context "看" is a better substitute for "参观". You can use "来看" for "come and see" or simply "看".
例子: 我去参观纽约... (I go to visit New York), 请浏览 www.samplesite.com... (please browse: www.whatever.com), 看
讯息/留言.

2. "Log" 可翻译成 "讯息/留言". I don't think the word "log" is used as is in Chinese so the translated version may be
more understandable to a Chinese audience.

3. 写得都很好: "都" 字排位改 "都写得很好". Still understandable as is but changing the word order sounded better.

4. 汉语=Chinese language 还可以通不过大陆人喜欢用"普通话", 台湾人用"国语", 新加坡人用"华语".
Spoken Chinese Mandarin: "普通话" / "国语" / "华语" 比较常用.
Written Chinese: "中文". 新加坡人也用"华文".
Kanji "汉字" 是日本人用.

5. 可是还是: 意思可以通但两个放在旁边有点重复. Putting 2 of the same 是 together sounded a bit repetitious.
改用: "可是" 不要 "还是" / "但还是".

6. 我只希望一天=英语的 "I only hope one day". 写中文时在中间加 "有" 比较好: "我只希望有一天"... The way it was
written was understandable but by inserting "有" sounded better. In the context of: "the day will come when my
spoken-Chinese will be as good as your French".

7. 学好: 意思不通. 好=good=你已经完成. 用"学习"比较好 in the context of "I'm still studying" instead of "I have
completed / mastered" several languages.

8. 外语前一个字改用"种". For spoken languages 话 / 语言 use "种" as a classifier sounded better.

9. 不太=英语的 "not very" 意思不通, 可以改用 "不" / "没有时间". In the context of "I'm studying several languages,
therefore I don't / don't have time to watch TV or movie".

10. 我觉得"这"= 英语的 "I feel this is important". In Chinese the word "这" by itself sounded like it is hanging in a
sentence and needed something to go after. 加上 "种活动" for "these types of activities".

The edited version:
谢谢你来看/看我的讯息/留言!:) 其实你写得很好,你的法语可能有点问题可是/但还是不错。我
只希望一天我的中国话/普通话/国语/华语(depending on your target audience)和你的法语说得一样好!

现在我学习外语,所以不/没有时间看电视和电影 ,但是我觉得这种活动也很重要。

Good Luck! Bon Chance! 祝你好运!

Edited by shk00design on 21 November 2013 at 8:26am

2 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4239 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 

Message 47 of 49
21 November 2013 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
Today is another day. Time to get back to studying French.

Yesterday I heard some Chinese guy bought a 3 wheeled vehicle and used it to travel around the world on a local
Chinese radio station. At least 4 continents and even places in Africa that may be undergoing war or conflict. He
said that after Beijing won the bid for the Olympic games, he wanted to continue with the Olympic spirit. He even
travelled through the Tibetan plateau to Lhasa with the aid of some herbal potions to reduce the effects of altitude
sickness. The interview must have taken place in Toronto, Canada (the other city who also put in a bit for the
Olympic games as a host city unsuccessfully but got the PanAm Games instead).

The commentator was speaking Mandarin with a Taiwanese accent and the guest speaker with a more Beijing type
of accent. Right now I'm not at the point of being able to pick out people's accents and immediate tell where they
are from. Once I'm competent enough in French it would be a while before I can pick out a native speaker from
Switzerland, France or Belgium where French is an official language.

To master any foreign language a textbook alone is not enough. You need to be exposed to the language through
the media or actual conversations with native speakers.

Edited by shk00design on 21 November 2013 at 8:23am

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5660 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 48 of 49
21 November 2013 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
Thanks so much for the corrections and all the explanations :)

shk00design wrote:
4. 汉语=Chinese language 还可以通不过大陆人喜欢用"普通话", 台湾人用"国语", 新加坡人用"华语".
Spoken Chinese Mandarin: "普通话" / "国语" / "华语" 比较常用.
Written Chinese: "中文". 新加坡人也用"华文".
Kanji "汉字" 是日本人用.
我去北京才听到这种说法。 我的课本教了我“普通话”,但是我的中国朋 友总是用“汉语”。 这是在山东。 以后我搬到了云南。 那里不论是写的还是说的大家总是用“中文” 。

shk00design wrote:
7. 学好: 意思不通. 好=good=你已经完成. 用"学习"比较好 in the context of "I'm still studying" instead of "I have completed / mastered" several languages.
这里我的意思不是“学好”,而是“学习 - 好几个 - 外语”。 我想说的是“不少的”(也可以说太多的!) 。

When i was in China, there were quite a few times where someone had to translate my Chinese into Chinese, maybe the person standing in line behind me would explain (in Chinese) to the person at the cash register what i was saying (also in Chinese). It was a little disheartening that even my Chinese needed to be translated :P

It's still difficult for me to place accents, i usually just base it off of 儿化 to place somebody in the north/south. Even within one province it seems there can be lots of accents, and every city seems to have its own dialect.

Edited by Crush on 21 November 2013 at 8:21pm

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version