Joined 5713 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 1 of 11
28 December 2012 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
Searching Amazon for good learning materials for Sesotho, I stumbled upon this

BMV Quantum Subliminal Learn Sesotho Southern Sotho Language CD

It seems like new age-y nonsense to me, but I'm curious if anyone here has tried this...
1 person has voted this message useful

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4909 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 2 of 11
28 December 2012 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
A CD that says "It contains no audible content so it is best used in conjunction with some form of training, classes or self-study." is one I'd stay far away from.

As I read the description it seems like it really is a joke.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6512 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 11
28 December 2012 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
"This subliminal program is designed to increase language acquisition skills to help you learn how to speak Sesotho - Southern Sotho. It contains no audible content .."

In other words those who buy this stuff won't hear a word of Sesotho - maybe the pranksters probably don't even know what that language sounds like, and they just chose a random language from the internet.

It reminds me of the tale about a restaurant somewhere (maybe in Japan) where you go through the whole charade of a real restaurant except that there isn't any food on the plates - but you get a hefty bill for the experience. Who can be that dumb?

Edited by Iversen on 28 December 2012 at 2:02pm

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5713 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 4 of 11
28 December 2012 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
I guess people are always looking for a miracle "learn a language without effort" solution that doesn't exist

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6718 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 11
28 December 2012 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
It reminds me of the tale about a restaurant somewhere (maybe in Japan) where you go through the whole charade of a real restaurant except that there isn't any food on the plates - but you get a hefty bill for the experience. Who can be that dumb?

I've heard worse things than this, e.g. tourist brats (in my town) who order two bottles of champagne and then ask the bartender to pour out one of them in the sink; brats who order a lot of burgers at McDonald's and ask the staff to throw away all but one; brats who order a taxi, pay when it appears, and then walk away...

Edited by jeff_lindqvist on 28 December 2012 at 5:14pm

Wanabe
Triglot
United States
Joined 4145 days ago

18 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish

Message 6 of 11
15 January 2013 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Iversen wrote:

I've heard worse things than this, e.g. tourist brats (in my town) who order two bottles of champagne and then ask the bartender to pour out one of them in the sink; brats who order a lot of burgers at McDonald's and ask the staff to throw away all but one; brats who order a taxi, pay when it appears, and then walk away...

Wow!!! People really do this?

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6718 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 11
16 January 2013 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
I haven't seen it myself (I don't frequent the same venues as those people...), but there is some press coverage (some sources say it's a myth, though).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_(behavior)

Zarmutek
United States
twitter.com/manueljoRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4534 days ago

28 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 8 of 11
16 January 2013 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Iversen wrote:
It reminds me of the tale about a restaurant
somewhere (maybe in Japan) where you go through the whole charade of a real restaurant
except that there isn't any food on the plates - but you get a hefty bill for the
experience. Who can be that dumb?

I've heard worse things than this, e.g. tourist brats (in my town) who order two
bottles of champagne and then ask the bartender to pour out one of them in the sink;
brats who order a lot of burgers at McDonald's and ask the staff to throw away all but
one; brats who order a taxi, pay when it appears, and then walk away...

Haha... that reminds me of some pranksters on YouTube who film themselves ordering at
drive-thrus, paying, and then when the person is handing them their food they say,
"Whatever," and drive off. Their channel literally has millions of views...dumb, but
the expressions and reactions of the people who work at those windows are priceless.

Edited by Zarmutek on 16 January 2013 at 4:58am

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version