United States
Joined 5082 days ago

32 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 15
29 December 2012 at 7:57am | IP Logged 
Howdy, or should I say всем привет!

This is my first foray into the language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34418">Total Annihilation Challenge. This
log will track my progress as I try to learn
as much Russian as I can over the course of 2013.

I would be ecstatic to reach B2 in Russian by the end of 2013, but I think B1 may be a
more realistic goal. In either case, I really want to cross the threshold from A to B.
I've studied the
language off and on for three years (more off than on), so I've got the basics, but not
much more than that.

In terms of materials, well, let's just say that I have quite a lot stockpiled, so part
of the challenge for me will be to decide which materials will be useful and which
won't. A quick
sampling of what's on my desk right now includes a dual-language book of Russian
stories by Gleb Struve, a set of readers by Otto F. Bond and George V. Bobrinskoy, and
a book by Khavronina
called "Russian in Exercises." I'll probably use that stuff as a starting point, but of
course, I reserve the right to change my mind and do whatever interests me :).

I look forward to reading other learner's logs and seeing how they take on Russian this
year. Удачи!

Edited by riff on 02 January 2013 at 2:22am

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 15
01 January 2013 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
Успехов! У тебя обязательно получится русский язык в новом году!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian

Message 3 of 15
01 January 2013 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
You look like a good candidate for half a Super Challenge in Russian, if you are not doing it already. Lots of
luck, it is nice to have some more advanced learners in the group.

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5046 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 4 of 15
01 January 2013 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
Hi! I am also on the second Russian team. Just dropping by to say hello and good luck,
and I look forward to reading your log!

С Новым Годом! :)

Wort
Groupie
Austria
Joined 4328 days ago

82 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: English, Spanish

Message 5 of 15
01 January 2013 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
Hey!

I wanted to wish you good luck, too. And I have to tell you that I have the same problem concerning the materials
I'm going to use haha :).

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5554 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 6 of 15
01 January 2013 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Привет!

Я тебе желаю больших успехов с твоими языками в этом году.

Jack

riff
United States
Joined 5082 days ago

32 posts - 36 votes

Message 7 of 15
02 January 2013 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
С новым годом! Happy New Year!

First off, thanks to everyone for dropping by. Team MIR is very enthusiastic and active. I'm excited
to follow everyone's progress.

Since the goals I outlined in my introductory post were rather vague, I’d like to get a bit more
specific.

First Quarter Goals of 2013 (January, February, March):

-Read 200,000 words.
-Write 100 grammar exercises (S. Khavronina).
-Do 50 assimil lessons (resume from lesson 49).
-Memorize 5 poems.

I think that will be quite enough for the first quarter, maybe even too much. If I’m not making much
progress after the first month, I’ll of course revise my goals. Outside of those stated goals, I’ll
continue listening to Russian podcasts and music and watching movies and TV like I always do. In terms
of tracking my progress, I’ll aim for weekly updates starting in mid-January when I get back from my
winter holiday.

I’ve purposefully omitted a "learn X number of words" goal because I’m terrible at using flashcards
and SRS software. I’m far from the point where I can read native texts and learn words from context,
but I’m hoping that by using graded readers and bilingual texts I can get by without them. Over the
holidays I’ve been reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets on my e-reader in bilingual format
and it hasn’t been too bad. I’ve been able to keep up a pretty good pace with one paragraph of English
followed by one paragraph of Russian. My word processor tells me there are about 80K words in the
Russian text, so I think 200K is reasonable for the quarter assuming I can keep up a similar pace.

The poetry goal is just for fun. In one of my Russian courses we had to learn Pushkin’s Я вас любил
poem by heart and I really enjoyed the experience. Sadly I’ve forgotten most of it (this was a few
years ago, mind you). I haven’t decided which poems to memorize yet, although Зимняя Ночь by Пастернак
seems like a good one to start with.

Ну, давайте пойдём! Alright, let’s go!

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5135 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 8 of 15
02 January 2013 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
Hi riff!

You’ve got quite a challenging first quarter in front of you. I wish you good luck with your plans and with your progress in Russian.

It’s nice to see that someone enjoys learning poems by heart. I’d love to know some, but I’ve always found the process of learning them (whether in Italian or in other languages) quite a torture. Do you have any tips to make poem learning less painful?

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version