Bilingual Pentaglot
Taiwan
Joined 4384 days ago

35 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Mandarin*, Taiwanese*, Cantonese, Spanish
Studies: Thai, Japanese

Message 9 of 94
31 December 2012 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
Hello Bakunin. I'm visited your website on learning Thai, and it was extremely useful for
me!
I'm also studying Thai, along with Japanese on Team 鶴 in 2013, and it's really nice
having another team member studying Thai!
(Actually I've studied Thai for a little more than an year, and my abilities are nowhere
near you.)
I'll begin my learning log soon, so good luck all the same!
1 person has voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4925 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 10 of 94
31 December 2012 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
Thanks for stopping by, iawia. Looking forward to being on a team with you and following your progress!
Ah, by the way, did you mean thairecordings.com, or my old blog on blogspot? Should one of those be new to you, check it out, there might be something useful... and I'm sure you know WLT, the most comprehensive repository of Thai resources...?!

Good luck with Thai and Japanese!

Edited by Bakunin on 13 January 2013 at 7:37am

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4925 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 

Message 11 of 94
31 December 2012 at 10:17am | IP Logged 
I've been thinking about my TAC goals. I'll put them down here, but might refine them as the year progresses.

(1) My basic goal is to spend 1'000 hours on Thai, keeping a healthy balance between reading, listening, speaking and writing. I'll be spending a few weeks in Thailand next year, but won't count those hours (unless I sit down with a book to read etc.).

(2) I also want to make some progress on getting familiar with the royal register. Thai has many words used only with the royal family, most importantly body parts and basic activities like walking, sitting, giving, eating etc., and I'm still mostly clueless when listening to news about the royal family. I'll be approaching this by making sure to read a fair number of fables/stories involving royalty, as well as dedicated news and other articles on the subject (wikipedia, overview essays, educational material).

(3) Last but not least, I want to make a stab at either basic Buddhist terminology, including the register reserved for speaking with monks, or the most important Pali roots which I keep seeing in formal texts.

I will measure activities related to (1), but self-evaluate (2) and (3).

Edited by Bakunin on 13 January 2013 at 7:46am

iawia
Bilingual Pentaglot
Taiwan
Joined 4384 days ago

35 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Mandarin*, Taiwanese*, Cantonese, Spanish
Studies: Thai, Japanese

Message 12 of 94
31 December 2012 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
Bakunin wrote:
Ah, by the way, did you mean thairecordings.com, or my old blog on
blogspot?

Well, I used Thairecordings.com as a resource for the Listening-Reading method.
I think that Thais have a peculiar way to express some ideas, and seeing how a native
speaker describes ideas and topics is very interesting.

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4925 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 

Message 13 of 94
31 December 2012 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
iawia wrote:
Bakunin wrote:
Ah, by the way, did you mean thairecordings.com, or my old blog on
blogspot?

Well, I used Thairecordings.com as a resource for the Listening-Reading method.
I think that Thais have a peculiar way to express some ideas, and seeing how a native
speaker describes ideas and topics is very interesting.

I'm glad you found it useful :)

Edited by Bakunin on 31 December 2012 at 12:18pm

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4315 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 14 of 94
02 January 2013 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
Bakunin wrote:
I've been thinking about my TAC goals. I'll put them down here, but might refine them as the
year progresses.

(1) My basic goal is to spend 1'000 hours on Thai, keeping a healthy balance between reading, listening, speaking
and writing. I'll be spending a few weeks in Thailand next year, but won't count those hours (unless I sit down with
a book to read etc.).

(2) I also want to make some progress on getting familiar with the royal register. Thai has many words used only
with the royal family, most importantly body parts and basic activities like walking, sitting, giving, eating etc., and
I'm still mostly clueless when listening to news about the royal family. I'll be approaching this by making sure to
read a fair number of fables/stories involving royalty, as well as dedicated news and other articles on the subject
(wikipedia, overview essays, educational material).

(3) Last but not least, I want to make a stab at either basic Buddhist terminology, including the register reserved for
speaking with monks, or the most important Pali roots which I keep seeing in formal texts.

I will measure activities related to (1), but self-evaluate (2) and (3).

These are some GREAT goals! Khmer is the same as Thai with regards to having a royal register! I guess it might
be slightly different in Thailand because of how much they love their king, but over here they don't generally use
much of the royal register.

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4925 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 

Message 15 of 94
02 January 2013 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
js6426 wrote:
Khmer is the same as Thai with regards to having a royal register! I guess it might be slightly different in Thailand because of how much they love their king, but over here they don't generally use much of the royal register.

As far as I know, much of the royal language is Khmer in origin. Another reason to have a look at Khmer :) I'm not sure to what extent ordinary Thais are competent in the royal register, but they for sure understand the news and would be able to talk appropriately about the most important things. I had something of a shock today when I attempted to read about a New Year's card the kind has offered to his people. There are even separate words for chair, trousers, shoes or shirt, and even his dogs need to be addressed appropriately. It's also quite exciting, and those lengthy royal words sound very nice.

Edited by Bakunin on 13 January 2013 at 7:47am

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4925 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 

Message 16 of 94
03 January 2013 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
I'll update my log in chunks of 20 hours, and I'll list the total hours broken down by the four language skills I want to work on. One of my TAC goals is to balance those four skills; this doesn't mean that I will spend equal time on each, but rather that it should correspond to how I would use my mother tongue.

Listening: 7
Reading: 8
Speaking: 2
Writing: 1
Other: 2
Total: 20

Listening:
A few days ago, I found a radio streaming app for my iPhone, TuneIn Radio, which is the first app I've tried that reliably streams Thai radio here in Switzerland. I've tuned in to three, four stations from the 'Talk' section, and I really like it! I prefer radio talk shows to TV any day. I've listened to stuff I had never listened to before, like an interview with the former prime minister, several discussions on road fatalities over the New Year period (which stands at 360 or so within seven days, incredibly high for a mid-sized country like Thailand), a long update on the situation in the Deep South, were there is some kind of a civil war going on, a discussion on the new minimum wage etc. There was also a show poking fun at the current prime minister, and a documentary on efforts to eradicate poppy in the provinces bordering Myanmar. Quite varied and interesting stuff. I also listened to my daily dose of VoA.

Reading:
I continued with the book I'm reading and also read a lot of stuff on the internet. One thing that stood out was my first attempt to tackle the royal register. I prepared two articles related to the king's New Year activities for my Skype conversation session later today. I was shocked to discover that there seem to be separate words in the royal register for basically anything, including pieces of clothing and furniture, but as with everything it's just a matter of exposure, I guess.

Speaking:
With friends.

Writing:
January challenge, some chatting with friends on whatsapp.

Other:
A bit of scriptorum, but mostly typing. I've finished copying the book on sports and health, and have started with the one on society/religion/culture (both are first grade primary schoolbooks). I love working with schoolbooks (for Thai kids, of course) because they are a treasure trove of comprehensible input and teach so much about the culture and ways of life down there. The first two chapters of my current schoolbook cover (1) how to behave well, and (2) kinship terms plus duties and rights of family members. Even Thai kids have to learn their kinship terms in a systematic fashion, he he. If you're interested what exactly I'm doing here, see my related posts.

Schoolbooks
Corpus

Edited by Bakunin on 20 January 2013 at 8:10pm

This discussion contains 94 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version