Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Ezy Ryder’s endeavor (TAC’14-15 旅立ち、鵲、東亞)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
144 messages over 18 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 ... 17 18 Next >>
misskj
United States
Joined 4132 days ago

28 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 121 of 144
21 February 2015 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
Hey Ezy Ryder!

I think it's perfectly normal to start getting sick of a particular language learning method after a while.
I've changed my methods for languages countless of times but I just always promise myself never to
give up and continue doing at least SOMETHING in the language. I've beaten myself up for not
sticking with certain language learning methods/goals I set for myself. (some un-realistic) Just don't
give up and know you're not alone! ~
1 person has voted this message useful

kraemder
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4965 days ago

1497 posts - 1648 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 122 of 144
21 February 2015 at 6:28am | IP Logged 
I agree that just doing the same thing over and over gets boring and can lead to poor focus and less learning.
Which is why a lot of people get frustrated with anki I think but the downside is that repetition really works so
even if it's painful you'll likely see benefit. Ah well. I'm constantly getting bored and then revising how I study.
If you can figure out a routine that incorporates repetition and variety please post it here.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4130 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 123 of 144
24 February 2015 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
I just finished making the 草書 radical Anki deck. 302 cards and 72 notes in total (1 note per 草書 radical, 1
card per 楷書 primitive in each position). I haven't put much effort into making this deck at first, but after
finding this video, which shows a man writing calligraphy looking
rather decent for a fountain pen, and finding the same brand pens (英雄 - Hero) quite cheap on eBay, I got
inspired to buy one (a USD5.94$ Hero 901 with a calligraphy nib, comes with a converter but I'll probably just
use a cartridge anyway, they sell black ink cartridges at a nearby library), and finally add the remaining 50
notes over the last 24 hours. Unless free international shipping from China has changed recently, it'll most
likely take a few weeks, so I'll try to get through the deck at 15 cards a day in the meantime.

To increase variety in my studying, I started memorizing short texts, and trying to understand them spoken by
TTS software, increasing the speed up to 180 WPM as it becomes more comprehensible.

I also started writing down some ideas about gamifying SRS.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4130 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 124 of 144
04 March 2015 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
NOTE: It seems the messages posted during the maintenance are gone. Thankfully I
forgot to delete this copy. The original message was posted on 03.02.2015
(mm/dd/yyyy), I've made only minor changes.

I noticed you can access the forum only today. I expected someone would post something
on the Wikia, alas I checked too early.

I'm gonna reference jogging once more. I usually try to jog (if you can call ~6.8km/h
(4.2mph) jogging...) five kilometres (3.1 miles) at a time. The first two kilometres
tend to be fine – I'm motivated and enthusiastic. During the third one I start feeling
tired, and start thinking about finishing early. However after finishing the fourth
one, I forget about the weariness, “it's the last one after all.” I feel much more
motivated to persist, due to the proximity of the end of the effort, but even moreso
the feeling of accomplishing my goal being in the reach of my hand. There is a thing I
could relate to language learning. My motivation peaks when approaching a milestone.
So I should keep my goals quantifiable (which I generally do), and close enough in
between to keep me motivated (which I need to work on). Recently I was treating every
thousand characters as a milestone. But at thirty characters a day, it can take a
while. And getting demotivated in the meanwhile paradoxically causes me to study less,
further delaying each milestone. And thus I've decided from now on, I'll regard every
250 characters a mini-milestone (a furlongstone?).

I've also changed the way I'm reviewing characters. I've had some 600 in my backlog,
not a nice view. So I stopped writing them out, now I just try to recall all the
radicals and their relative positions. As long as I don't simply recall the vague
“look” of a character, I should be fine. Also, I've set the time limit for answering
to 6 seconds. It's much, much quicker this way. It kinda reminds me of that article on
the SuperMemo website. One of the 20 (was it?) rules, was for each card to quiz you
only on one fact. Here, I was trying not only to review the characters, but also
practice my handwriting, and develop muscle memory. Well, all in due time.

As for the February challenge, I've been neglecting the Chinese part. I'll try to
memorize the lyrics as quickly as practical, without focusing much on the guitar part
(I've got the file with the chords on my previous computer anyway...).

PS.: I noticed I've been getting more done since the forum maintenance business...
Correlation don't equal causation, eh?

Edited by Ezy Ryder on 04 March 2015 at 10:40am

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4130 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 125 of 144
08 March 2015 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
Writing Hanzi: 1750. I've reached this “furlongstone” today (technically
yesterday now), and so I've decided to write a new post here. I'm having mixed
feelings about the characters the deck is making me learn. Some are really useful, and
not knowing them has bothered me on multiple occasions (like 牽 or 偽), but there are
also some I don't recall seeing even once (like 寇). This deck is supposed to be
ordered both by frequency and relative ease of learning (i.e., similarity to already
learnt characters). But 臘 (with 961 thousand Google hits) is 1871st on the list,
while 謎 (with 2.76 million) is only 2778th.

I've been thinking about the difficulty of the Chinese (and Chinese-based) writing
systems, compared to, say, written English. Each word consists of morpheme/s
(characters in Chinese, broadly speaking), which consist of letters in English, and
radicals in Chinese. If you can spell “anticlimactic,” “disclose,” “establishment,”
“authoritarian” and “homoeroticaphobiaism;” you shouldn't have much of a problem
spelling “antidisestablishmentarianism.” However, if you can't spell a morpheme,
knowing every single letter in English won't be of much help, you'll be only left with
guessing (at which admittedly you'll have a higher chance than in Chinese, with there
being 26 letters in English (unless you wanna count ï and the like); and over 200
radicals, two-dimensionally written morphemes and more homophony in Chinese). So now,
the question is: do you need more morphemes in English, or in Chinese?
Remembering the spelling is also a matter of getting used to the right one. E.g., I
find it easier to spell “antidisestablishmentarianism,” than “atrocious;” or 鹽, than
衡 or 佩.
Receptive skills are similar. Words with unknown morphemes are gonna be more difficult
to figure out (as some people don't like the word “guess”).

As for the March challenge, I think I'll try reading a hundred minutes a day. Better
get my Pomodoro timer ready :)

Edited by Ezy Ryder on 08 March 2015 at 12:31am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4130 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 126 of 144
12 March 2015 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
Writing Chinese Characters: 2000. This time a full-blown milestone. I started
studying a bit late yesterday, but I stayed up till 4:20AM, and made it. I'm actually
kinda proud of myself, I'm trying not to stress myself over daily quotas and so on,
but I managed not to skip a day in over a week, I think. I've been learning 52 new
characters a day to get to 3k by April, but the day before yesterday I studied 94, so
that I'd get to 2k a day early, plus now I need to study only 50 characters a day for
that goal (so basically, just a rounder number).

Also, the calligraphy nib pen I ordered came yesterday. Now I just need to find some
resources on how to use it properly :)

And lastly, I had a thought. I enjoy reading in bed, but looking up words in a dead-
tree edition book can be tiresome. And then I realized - “I've got a tablet. I can
just try using LWT on it, or something similar.”

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4130 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 127 of 144
20 March 2015 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
The Solar Eclipse
The mere notion of not raising in time for the happening has been enshrouding me in
trepidation. Thankfully the very alarm I had set only an earthly day ago got me up. I
hit the snooze button and promptly returned to the lukewarm embrace of my bedsheets.
After two further iterations, I forlorn this ever so malicious cycle, and standing in
my pyjamas, I commenced the preparations. Thus it's begun. I stepped into the balcony.
Not being left handed, I chose – I think rightly so – to handle my camcorder in my
right hand. And so I sat there, freezing my posterior off, observing – as prudence
demanded – through the contraption's display, the lunar silhouette obstructing partly
the solar light on its way here, a second before it could lay upon us, finishing its
eight-or-so minute voyage. Now I'm only left with the memory and a few photographs, of
this otherwise unnoticeable astronomical event I experienced for the very first time
in my life. I dressed, visited my mother in the hospital, got back, went out again for
a jog (during which I happened to break every single one of my personal bests, aside
for the 1 km time). Went back home, again to the hospital, then once more home.

(Unusually) awkward English aside; there are two things I'd like to mention. One, I've
decided to slow down learning characters, at least till my motivation comes back. Now
I'd like to focus only on reviews, and learn just the characters I find in my reading.
Two, I started another deck, with vocabulary found during intensive reading. I learn
twenty words a day (I don't learn new words every day, though). I try to keep it a
dead time deck. I mainly study it on the bench after a jog, on the way to the
hospital, etc.

Lastly, a short text I tried to write in Mandarin, followed by a correction.

有時候我一個人散步著某街, 突然一點暗笑。 讓我考慮。 陌生人們以為什麼? 平常我想覺得我不介意他
們以為什麼都。 雖然有意思似的。 經常那樣場所裡忽然發笑好像瘋狂的。 但連普通人都不曾好歹記得有
樣搞笑的回憶嗎? 沒有終於了解過某樣問題嗎? 或者只是妨礙一樣的反應?
Correction:
有時候, 我獨自一人散步在街上, 突然我笑了一下。 我很好奇, 陌生人在想什麼? 平常我絲毫不在乎
這些。 雖然似乎很有意思。 經常在那樣的場所裡忽然發笑好像很瘋狂。 但連普通人都不曾記得有令人發
笑的回憶嗎? 沒有終於了解了某個問題嗎? 或者只是壓抑這些反應?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4130 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 128 of 144
25 March 2015 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
A short text in Chinese inspired by my recent running-related discovery. First,
handwriting of most of it, then the whole text in digital form. I'm afraid I won't be
able to receive a correction this week, though.
Picture of my handwriting
我最近購買了我的最初的一雙專業慢跑鞋子和 心率儀。 因為我聽說為了改進忍耐而減肥, 最好某心臟每分
鐘的次數。 我打算自己的個人次數是約莫155BPM。 所以我嘗試啦。 象很好耶。 我曾經3km以後氣吁吁疲
憊。那天則7km以後沒感到那麼疲勞。 雖然我的腳苦痛。 因此我需要讓它恢復, 同時以另方法改進。 即可再
開始主要的運動時就沒退步。 這樣運動稱為交叉訓練。
怎麼相關語言習得? 總之好像利用方法叢必須多樣性。 一個變成令人疲勞, 就需要用不同感觸的恢復, 同
時繼續改進。

Edited by Ezy Ryder on 25 March 2015 at 2:50pm

This discussion contains 144 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version