Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Ezy Ryder’s endeavor (TAC’14-15 旅立ち、鵲、東亞)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
144 messages over 18 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 17 18 Next >>
Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4108 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 9 of 144
08 January 2013 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, that'll come in handy after finishing.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4108 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 10 of 144
12 January 2013 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday, all the trouble seemed so far away... On a more serious note, Memrise has changed
something, and currently, I can't learn Kanji the same way I did. Using Memrise's terminology, now
it makes me go through five words at a time, until I get all of them correct sufficient amount of
times to make them ready for "harvesting", I usually "planted" five words, "grew" them fifteen
minutes later, and then "harvested" the next day, and if I got one wrong, I waited for about half an
hour, and tried again; now during a "harvesting" session, it won't stop until all of the words are
"harvested". I really don't like that. Because of that, yesterday I went through only ten words. I
don't know what to do, I'm not sure whether I don't like the change, because it's actually not gonna
work (as good as it once did) for me, or maybe just because it's a change to which I have to get
used to... I'll wait a few more hours and if they still won't change it back, I'm gonna give it a try, if
it's not gonna work... I'll have to try Anki.

Brun Ugle
Diglot
Norway
brunugle.wordpress.c
Joined 6379 days ago

1292 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*, NorwegianC1
Studies: Japanese, Esperanto, Spanish, Finnish

Message 11 of 144
12 January 2013 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
I use this site for learning and reviewing kanji. If you fail one, it just goes into the failed box and you can review it whenever you choose. However, if you've already got a lot of kanji done, you might not want to use this site since adding a lot of kanji at once would mean there would be a lot of reviews in the beginning.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4108 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 12 of 144
20 January 2013 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
The third week of study is nearing it's end, and I've got a nice accomplishment. That is, yesterday,
I've finished going through the first 1000 Kanji. That's a nice even number, so I thought I could
check the percentage of understood Kanji in a text. I took two paragraphs from a Wikipedia article
about a random topic (the definition of an emperor this time), cut out everything that wasn't a
Kanji, and calculated the percentage. 69.81%, so... now I understand more Kanji than I don't :)
That also means that Anki seem to be working for me.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4108 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 13 of 144
27 January 2013 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
OK... Currently at 1250 Kanji; percentage of understood Kanji in a text at about 73%, though it will
probably vary depending on the topic... I've also checked a few texts in Chinese, and it was over
60%, so I thought that maybe I could take a little break from Kanji, to learn some
Mandarin. First of all, because I'm getting a bit tired, so hopefully such a break would be
refreshing. Second of all, because I think I can find a person in my neighborhood with
whom I could practice Mandarin, if he speaks this dialect.
I've found vocabulary lists for HSK levels one through six, but I'll probably have to make the deck
by myself.

Edited by Ezy Ryder on 27 January 2013 at 11:18am

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4108 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 14 of 144
09 February 2013 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
OK... so the break from Kanji for Mandarin wasn't very successful... all I did is that I've tried
Iversen's wordlist method, the tempo of learning new vocabulary was similar to my tempo with
Anki, and using Anki is a bit more pleasant of an activity for me, so I've decided to stay with
Anki. Figuring that out is the only good side of the break. Other than that, I haven't learned
much, and the reviews for Kanji piled up a bit. Currently the number of reviews I go through
each day is higher than the number of reviews coming the next day, so it should calm down
soon. I'm probably still going to finish getting through 2200 Kanji before March... or in the worst
case scenario, early in March.
I've also got one more accomplishment: currently I'm at 1370 Kanji, which is exactly 1000 more
than I knew on December the 31st 2012. That gives an average of only 25 Kanji per day
though... Sometimes I just fell too (mentally) tired (and bored) to do another session, and I take
(probably too long) breaks every ten new words...
PS.: I've just calculated percentage of known Kanji in another text. 82%.

Edit: I've decided that (at least for a while, though probably for longer) I'm going to drop
the
number of new information per day by a half. Doing 25 words a day won't be that exhausting -
which should give a higher number of days in which I've studied enough - and is still going to
give a total of over 9000 words per year. I've also calculated that if I'll finish learning Kanji and
learn all of the vocabulary required for the N2 level in Japanese, I'm still going to have over 2000
words I could learn in Chinese.

Edited by Ezy Ryder on 11 February 2013 at 4:55pm

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4108 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 15 of 144
03 March 2013 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
27.02.13, after a bit of a break (yes... yet another one), I started learning Japanese again.
Currently focusing on vocabulary. I've found a group of decks with vocabulary for levels N5-N1.
The only thing I dislike about it is that there are two decks per level, one Japanese-English
meaning, and one Japanese-Japanese reading. But that's not a deal-breaker. For the first two
days I've been learning 30 words/day on my computer, in the third day didn't feel good enough
to study, and yesterday, I've discovered something nice. I was carrying my cat to the
veterinary, for her semi-annual visit. Spending some time in the waiting room was to be
expected, so I've decided to try using Anki on my phone, to not get bored and shorten the time
I'll need to spend on Anki later, at home. My tempo was noticeably faster than my tempo while
using my computer, so I've decided to go to the local park (a few minutes of walking from home)
and do the session there. I wanted to do the thirty for yesterday, and another thirty which I
haven't done the day before. And the total time spent was only 38 minutes, which is only a
minute or two more than I needed for half of the material on my computer. I've also noticed that
I can put off cards on my phone which I already know, or of which the meaning is very obvious,
without lowering the number of due new cards for this day, so I can do (virtually) everything on
my phone. The only problem could be (only occasionally) the weather...
From 27.02.13 to December, there are 277 days, with the tempo of 30 words per day, I could
learn the whole deck (8311 words) exactly before the exam month... well, except for one word,
and I'd definitely not go higher than N2, and that's only in the case in which I won't make too
many breaks from study, so I won't even need all of the words.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4108 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 16 of 144
09 March 2013 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
02.03.13-08.03.13:
Learning vocabulary: 3:45 / 240 words

Soon the number of due reviews will probably increase (currently ~60/day), so the time spent will
probably get bigger too.
Also, today I'm going to finish the N5 deck (though obviously I'm still going to review it), so
tomorrow I'll see the N4 vocabulary for the first time.
Last thing, this week I also want to start measuring time I spend on learning grammar (currently
reading Tae Kim's guide).

This discussion contains 144 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version