Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Ezy Ryder’s endeavor (TAC’14-15 旅立ち、鵲、東亞)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
144 messages over 18 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 17 18 Next >>
dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4447 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 41 of 144
13 November 2013 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
I've not seen your log before, so I'm sorry for replying to a post that's six months
old already!

Great progress by the way: you've obviously got great staying power.

Ezy Ryder wrote:
PS.: A question to people who already have some experience with
Japanese: currently, for grammar, I'm reading Tae Kim's Guide, do You think it is
sufficient for understanding most of the grammar to be found in an average book, or
should I already start looking for a supplementing resource?

I've been through Tae Kim once so far and I'll probably go through it again. It's a
very good resource. It'll probably take you through to N4 grammar or thereabouts.
Beyond that I think you'll need further grammar resources. I'm using みんなの日本語中級 and
新完全マスター for N3 (and then I guess N2). Although various bits of grammar can be found
on the web I don't know of a free resource like Tae Kim's that goes futher.

1 person has voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4131 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 42 of 144
15 December 2013 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
Mandarin: 1000 words. I think it was this Thursday or something, that I've gotten through
to four-digit numbers. Phew, it must've been the longest time for me to get through a thousand
words so far. I found an audiobook version of Sherlock Homes: A study in Scarlet (the first
book in the series) in Mandarin, and (hopefully) more or less matching text. I haven't checked
yet whether the text and audio are the same translation, and could only find the text in the
simplified form, which means I have to use free converters before each intensive reading
session (they aren't 100% accurate). I'll calculate my percentage of comprehension later this
day, and then edit this post.

Japanese: It's going great, at least in the aspect of studying. Not yet sure what the effects
will be, but studying is quite pleasant. I understand a sufficient part of texts for vocabulary
mining not to be tedious, I'm actually curious of each unknown word and quite often I feel quite
enthusiastic about some of the words I'm adding, when they're something I always wanted to be
able to express (or understand) in Japanese. So, while I have to force myself each day to mine
vocabulary for Mandarin, I usually have a few days of Japanese vocabulary prepared in
advance :) So far I've studied only 589 words though, so I can't expect any quick progress.
Sometimes I've actually considered dropping Mandarin just to have more time/energy for
Japanese, but... read the next paragraph.

TAC 2014
I thought I could participate in TAC 2014. I'm joining the Chinese and Japanese teams. Goals:
Mandarin: 8,000 words in total - 21 words a day.
Japanese: 5,000 new words - 15 words a day.
I doubt there's gonna be a team for that, but I'll also study 8 Na'vi words a day, hopefully to get
through all of the useful vocabulary in the language before 2015. Though the language is still
expanding, so can't be sure about that.

PS.: I also wanted to study handwriting of 6 Kanji a day, but that was just too much, so I'm
gonna pass on that.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4131 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 43 of 144
20 December 2013 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
This time it's not a vocabulary-count update.
Mandarin: I thought I could include additional statistics, not really about my progress, but
about learning in general. That is: words per character ratio. Currently I've got 1131 words and
- according to the Kanji Stats plugin - 1102 characters. Which gives a 1.026 ratio. If Chinese is
anything like Japanese, this should skyrocket after the next few thousand words (my former
JLPT decks had a ~3.(2) ratio). Perhaps not to the same extent, but still should make the
learning somewhat easier.
   Also, I found a way of making the preparation of the deck (reading, looking up unknown
words, and adding them to Anki) a little less tedious. I add 1 word at a time, and in each of the
20 breaks I solve a Rubik's Cube 5 times. That way I don't get tired of adding as quickly, and
get my daily 100 solves done at the same time.
Japanese: While reading Tae Kim's guide, I found a link to an interesting grammar book.
It's all in Japanese (although in the table of contents there are some simplified Chinese
characters... odd). And the interesting thing, is that it isn't that hard to understand. Of course,
there's still quite a lot of new vocabulary, but less than in other things I've been reading. And,
the grammar description just seems so simple, I didn't expect it to be so straightforward.
For anyone interested, it's at the part about negative volitional -まい.
Na'vi: I've made a mistake while counting the vocabulary in Na'vi. A few days ago I've
noticed that in the English-Na'vi dictionary, some words occur multiple times, if they are defined
in a few ways. For example: the word "wotx" occurs twice. Under T (definition being "Totality,
whole") and W (definition being "Whole, totality"). So instead I used the Na'vi-English dictionary
this time, and subtracting all proper nouns, words particular to flora and fauna, and allomorphs,
you're left with 1794 words. Meaning some of which can be quite predictable, but because of
the way of modification not being entirely productive, have to be listed as separate words. Like
"nìwotx". "Nì" is sort of like -ly in Engilsh - it creates adverbs. And if you remember what "wotx"
means, you can already guess it means "completely".
   That's almost a 1000 words less to learn than I thought, which means I can lower the number
of new words learnt daily from 10, to 6. I hope that'll make accomplishing this goal more likely.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4131 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 44 of 144
31 December 2013 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
JP: 2013年の概要
主に知った言葉を使いたい、 けど「概要」ってすら調べちゃった。 ともかく、進行は、 当
てが外れるよ。 ほぼ380時間を暗記で過ごした、 悪くなそう、 ほぼ八千つ言葉を勉強した
事も悪くなそう。 でも勉強方法を変えて、 前者習い方は同じく効かなかったと思う。 今の
方法を年中使えば結果に於ける好奇心がある 。 多分これさえのは価値があった。 どっちみ
ちいつかこんな言葉も知らなきゃね? しかも、 日本語のラノベを受け取ったのに、 新しい
語彙をこう勉強したくなかった ーー この言語と娯楽も欲しかった。 だけど、 どうか読んで
ちまった。 と余談の大半。 要旨をわかりながらも。 さて、 多分来年この学び方の結果を見られるかも。

EN: Summary of 2013.
I'm kinda dissapointed. I've spent almost 380 hours on Anki, and learnt almost 8,000 words -
which might not sound bad - but having changed my study method, I no longer think my
previous way of learning was nearly as effective. I wonder, where would I be now, if I spent the
whole year studying like I do now. Maybe it wasn't a total waste of time, I'll probably need those
words someday, right? Even when I got my first light-novel, I didn't want to study like this. I
wanted to have some fun with the language too. And somehow I've read through the whole thing
anyway. And most of the second sequel too. I even got the gist, I think. Well, perhaps next year I'll see what's my current
approach worth.

Edited by Ezy Ryder on 31 December 2013 at 7:52pm

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4131 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 45 of 144
02 January 2014 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
Figured out how to get three things done at once. I thought that perhaps my Japanese could use
some listening, so I started listening today (the idea of listening while jogging didn't end very well).
Everyday I have to prepare my Chinese deck, 21 words. I take a break after every word, to do 5
solves of a Rubik's cube, to not get overly tired of the otherwise tedious chore. And so far I've
been doing that while listening to some music albums (not in Japanese), but I thought that maybe
instead I could use that time my ears aren't particularly busy to get some Japanese listening. And
so, today I've got 1:34 (one hour and thirty four minutes) almost for free.
My only worry is as to whether it'll actually do me any good. I'm not paying too much attention
most of the time, and I don't understand much anyway (probably mainly because of vocabulary).
Though, I guess, as long as it's correct Japanese, it couldn't hurt, right?

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4447 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 46 of 144
03 January 2014 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
Ezy Ryder wrote:
And so far I've
been doing that while listening to some music albums (not in Japanese), but I thought that maybe
instead I could use that time my ears aren't particularly busy to get some Japanese listening. And
so, today I've got 1:34 (one hour and thirty four minutes) almost for free.
My only worry is as to whether it'll actually do me any good. I'm not paying too much attention
most of the time, and I don't understand much anyway (probably mainly because of vocabulary).
Though, I guess, as long as it's correct Japanese, it couldn't hurt, right?

I listen to Japanese dialogues whilst commuting and lately I've been listening to Japanese radio at work.

I have heard people worry that by not paying attention (enough) that sort of behaviour may lead to the brain
learning to "tune out" Japanese. But I've never seen any evidence to support that. In my own case I think
it's actually helped, although since I'll never get to live an alternative timeline, I'll probably never know.
What I do know is that in 2013 I managed to fit in ~700 hours of Japanese audio, the vast majority of which was time
that I could not have used for anything else.
2 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4447 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 47 of 144
03 January 2014 at 1:12am | IP Logged 
Oh, and welcome to Team 旅立ち btw!

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4131 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 48 of 144
05 January 2014 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
Oh, and welcome to Team 旅立ち btw!

Thanks!

JP: 1月の日本語チームの挑戦だ-自己紹介。
中級者だと祈って、せめて6つ句を書こう。 十八歳、 アスペルガー症候群を罹ってるポー
ランド人だ。 高校から卒業後 翻訳を大学で勉強したいし、 ずっと多言語話者に感心を持っ
たし、 外国語を勉強してる。 仕事の予定だから、 流暢だけより熟練が要る。 滅多に方々
に合わないから幾分読書のために習ってる。 今中国語チームの挑戦に応じて 中国語入力を
ダウンロードしなきゃなぁ……

EN:January Japanese team challenge - self-introduction.
Hoping that I'm at an intermediate level, I'll try and write at least six sentences. I'm an 18 year
old, Polish Aspie. I'm studying foreign languages because I want to study translation after
graduating from high-school, and I always admired polyglots. Because of my career plans,
more than just fluency I'll need proficiency. I'm not very social, so I'm learning mainly for
reading. And now I'll have to download a Chinese IME because of the Chinese team challenge...

Edited by Ezy Ryder on 05 January 2014 at 1:47pm

This discussion contains 144 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version