Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Ezy Ryder’s endeavor (TAC’14-15 旅立ち、鵲、東亞)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
144 messages over 18 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 17 18 Next >>
Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4135 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 17 of 144
16 March 2013 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
09.03.13-15.03.13:
Learning vocabulary: 3:01
Reviewing Kanji: 0:42
Total: 3:43

I've been learning Japanese for ~90 days, and have learnt only ~1050 Kanji and ~700 words... I
think what's been holding me back is changing methods/Anki deck too often. So now I'll just try to
stick with my current N4 vocabulary deck, learning 30 words per day. I wonder which time I've
said that... Also, funny thing, doing the N4 deck takes twice as long as the N5 one did... I don't
know if that's because it tries to make the words active by having JP-EN and EN-JP cards, or am I
just procrastinating... (I've gotten back to learning in front of the computer because of the weather
outside)
1 person has voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4135 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 18 of 144
19 March 2013 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
Not really Japanese related, but I took the test at the site Professor Arguelles has mentioned in
one of his videos. It's the English vocabulary size test. Before taking it, I was in a bit of a
quandary, if I may use a relatively recently learnt word from RTK :) On one hand, I wanted to
get a high result, which would mean I've put much effort into learning English, and that I'm good
at it. On the other hand, I wanted it to be low...er because that would mean less work needed to
get to a satisfactory level in next languages. Anyway, the result was "You know at least 8,900
English word families!" [sic]. So... unless the languages I'm interested in are drastically
different vocabulary-wise , I don't even need 10,000 words :)
As for Japanese, managed to not stop learning. Nothing special. Well, maybe I just might add
that the words in the N4 deck started to be really useful. I mean, while learning the N5 level,
there were ones such as Policeman, Police box, socks, and so on... Which obviously are all
words worth learning, just not right at the beginning; I prefer to learn such words later,
maybe in a themed list or something. But now the words are such as: "to choose", "complex"...
So I'm happy.

Edited by Ezy Ryder on 19 March 2013 at 3:51pm

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4135 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 19 of 144
23 March 2013 at 8:59am | IP Logged 
16.03.2013-22.03.2013
Learning Vocabulary: 4:29

I don't have much more to say... At least there are no more problems so far. Should be finished
with the N4 deck after about two more weeks.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4135 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 20 of 144
05 April 2013 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
Haven't posted in over a week... Maybe I should write a brief update.
So basically, a few days after my last post, I thought I should change my life. I've
started eating (mainly) rice (with chopsticks too :) ), drinking green tea, lifting
weights (just 4kg, I'm a beginner) and jogging about half an hour every day (inspired
by Professor Arguelles). I hope this healthier diet and exercising will help becoming
more fit, losing some weight...
As for languages, firstly, I've taken a break from Japanese. Secondly, on April 1 I've
started a 3 months challenge to conversational Chinese. I can't deny that it was
inspired by Benny, but I know I definitely can't reach fluency in such a short time,
and I'm going to try to learn to read too. So basically, every day I'm waken up by my
cellphone's alarm at 8:00 (one of the changes, before, I was getting up even as late as
11:xx), take my medications, check if there are any new interesting videos from people
to whom I'm subscribed on YouTube, or posts on a few forums, and then, usually before
10:00 I start learning Chinese vocabulary on Anki. I found a deck with 5003 words
sorted by the HSK level they are a part of, so that's what I'm using for studying. I
take 5 minute breaks every 10 minutes of study. And I do so 'till I learn 55 new words.
This way, I should learn 5005 new words during this challenge. That might not be
perfect, but hopefully will be sufficient for further growing the vocabulary by reading
books, watching TV and talking. I feel I should also say that I'm planning to learn the
grammar from Chinese Grammar Wiki, they have grammar subjects with explanations and
example sentences, sorted by CEFR levels, from A1 to B2.

So, what do You think about this idea? Personally, I just hope I will not give up...

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4135 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 21 of 144
07 April 2013 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
Week 1:
Anki: 9:42
Grammar: 0:36
Total: 10:18

Yesterday I've stumbled upon a link to an article regarding an interesting mnemonic
system for remembering syllables. Each beginning of a syllable is associated with a
person, like for example: k - Kleopatra (that's how it's spelled in Polish), ti - Tom
Lehrer or bu - Batman. Each ending of a syllable is associated with a location, so for
example: a - my grandmother's house, an - my local park or i/nothing - my own house.
And each tone is associated with a part of that place: 1st - in front of the place, 2nd
- entrance, 3rd - inside, 4th - bathroom. So far it was rather interesting, I think it
makes remembering things easier... Albeit two difficulties, which are: 1) it works only
for parts of words, You have to treat words like Kanji and syllables and their
corresponding characters as radicals... though they seem to be more rational/related to
the meaning than average radicals to an average Kanji. 2) It's not very quick. The
bonds to the words are getting stronger faster than by using solely SRS, but it takes
me even up to a minute to recall a word's pronunciation by the meaning. Though that
might be just auto-suggestion... well... I don't know. As for the speed, today I needed
1:26 for just 30 words... So I'm considering simply printing the vocabulary lists, and
learning them outside Anki, just using this method, and going through older lists every
few days.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4135 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 22 of 144
12 April 2013 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
(Yet) another discipline technique I'm about to try: learn 10 words every hour.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4135 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 23 of 144
17 May 2013 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
OK... Feeling a bit better lately, got back to learning. I've been learning everyday for at
least an hour for over a week now, so maybe it'll last this time... I've just finished the N4
deck for Japanese. Because of the breaks I've had, I've probably forgotten a part of the
vocabulary, so I'll try to do some more reviewing this weekend (maybe even outside, if
the weather will allow it, it's usually quite warm, though sometimes it rains).
My current study method: wristwatch alarm set on 15:00, when it rings, set the timer to
an hour and learn five words. On 16:00 when the timer rings, set it back to an hour and
learn five more words. Do so 'till having learnt thirty words. ~13-minutes-long study
sessions and ~47-minutes-long breaks sound lazy, because that is laziness, but it's better
than not learning et al, so it's fine by me.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4633 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 24 of 144
18 May 2013 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
Hey, whatever works, right? Just keep up your studies.

This discussion contains 144 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version