Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Ezy Ryder’s endeavor (TAC’14-15 旅立ち、鵲、東亞)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
144 messages over 18 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 17 18 Next >>
Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4108 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 33 of 144
20 July 2013 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
Just seen the 4,500th word. Lately I've been suspending fewer words... As for the light novel,
currently on page 55; sometimes there are whole sentences I don't understand at all, but most
of
the time I can get at least the gist of what's happening at the moment.
A few calculations (I love statistics):
Average number of new cards seen each day since starting the N2 deck: ~67.551
Getting to 5,000 words, and writing a new post: ~27.07.13
Finishing the N2 deck: ~31.07.13
Number of words I'll have seen by the end of the summer break: ~7461

Unless I'll be suspending even fewer words... Anyway; it's not impossible that I'll finish learning
the
JLPT vocabulary by the end the registration for the December exams. Though I seriously need
to
start learning grammar...
EDIT: Also, I've set the timebox feature in Anki to 2 minutes.

Edited by Ezy Ryder on 20 July 2013 at 3:00pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4108 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 34 of 144
27 July 2013 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
5000 words. Finally... I've already done half of what I wanted to do this summer break.
I've been getting kind of tired lately (mainly in the last few sessions of the day). I might have to
lower the tempo a bit, at least for a while. I don't know whether it is only temporary, or if the
pace increase started getting to me...
In the light novel, currently on page 108. I've been enjoying the book so far. Though sometimes
I can get slightly tired of my level of comprehension, especially if nothing interesting is
happening at the moment. Also, I've finally calculated the percentage of words I know on a
page: ~107/~128=~83.5% Quite interesting...
My reading speed has improved too. It went from 11min/page to 7,5min/page. (Just to make it
clear; I'm not trying to read as fast as I can, whenever I stumble upon a word I cannot
immediately recall the meaning AND reading of, I just stop until I either remember it again, or
am sure I can't do so)
I'll write the next post once I see every card of the N2 deck (258 left). Having the tempo
decrease in mind, that should happen by 01.08.13.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4108 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 35 of 144
02 August 2013 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
Just finished the N2 deck... Easily could've done so before midnight and therefore do it on
01.08.13, but it's not a big deal (it's still the same Anki day :) ). As for the light novel, I'm enjoying
it. It's slightly different to what I expected, but doesn't seem bad yet. I think my comprehension is
improving. Currently on page 140. I've already learned a few words out of context: しおり, マフラ
ー, 心電図... The list isn't too big, considering the number of pages I've read, but it'll probably
improve with time.
I don't think I'm going to start the next deck today, as I've developed a bit of a backlog with my
reviews of the previous decks, but I think I'll manage it today. Consequently, I'll start the (hopefully)
final deck, the N1 deck, tomorrow.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4108 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 36 of 144
15 August 2013 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
Things went a bit differently to what I hoped... Managing the backlog took more than just one
day, closer to two weeks for that matter... Today I woke up to only 305 reviews, I think that's a
small enough number to learn something new, so I downloaded the N1 deck. My plan is to do 5
new words every hour, and 10 reviews every half an hour, plus one big session of 105 reviews
on a bench in the park (it's easier for me to do the reviews if the only other thing I can do is sit
and contemplate the Silesian dialect of other people in the park, or jog). Anyway, I hope to
finish all of the reviews and learn 40 unguessable words by midnight.

JP: 私のつもりをできませんでした。 二週後漸く復習をし終わりました。 今日、起床とき
ただ305つ復習ありました。 尤もそれをしつつ新しい言葉をも学べます。 だから、N1トラ
ンプを拾いました。 つもりは、毎時おき五つ新しい言葉を学びた い、と毎時半おき十復習
をしたい。また公園で一度105つ復習をしたい 。 あそこで学びことはもっと易いです。夜
中前復習ごとをしたい、 と40つ本当に新しい言葉を学びたい。
失敗しましてごめん。

Edited by Ezy Ryder on 15 August 2013 at 10:59am

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4108 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 37 of 144
22 August 2013 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
5500 words. Man, has it been hard to get back to proper studying... Well, today there are
only 3 more sessions to go (out of 9), so I guess, at least I'm getting closer to proper studying. I'm
also starting to doubt whether I'll even get to 6000 words by the end of the summer break... I guess
I'd like to finally get it over with, and move to the next language :)
As for the book, I'm nearing it's end - currently on page 198. I think my comprehension is
improving.
Also, I've been thinking about attempting to improve my listening comprehension. I've read
Iversen's advice to focus on where words end, as opposed to what they mean. A funny thing that
keeps happening, is that sometimes when I correctly guess where certain words end, and some of
them I know, I'll unintentionally move my focus to the meaning of the particular sentence, and not
listening to what is being said meanwhile. Well, the fact that I'm beginning to understand something
every now and then is probably a rather good sign, so I'm not worried.

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4108 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 38 of 144
17 September 2013 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
   Okay, I'm not yet sure about it, I might change my mind quite soon, and I'm kind of scared of
making the following decision; but, I've had an idea. Splog's presentation in Budapest got me
thinking. He said that it's pointless to learn vocabulary with SRS after reaching ~6000 words.
That's about my level, and recently I'm getting the impression that Anki might be actually
slowing me down (now). I mean, it taught me 5000 words quite quickly, which was nice, but
now, I think that it might be better to just continue extensive reading of the books I've got for my
birthday, and start doing some intensive reading with 理解君. I haven't made my mind yet, nor
deleted my Japanese decks, but... it's so tempting to just get rid of all this, and start afresh with
Mandarin Chinese. I already downloaded the TOCFL level 1 deck in Anki, and done one
session (about to do the second one).
   Well, I guess we'll see whether I'll have enough courage(?) to delete the Japanese decks,
start learning Japanese the way I've been learning English (except for the pop-up dictionary,
which might be an improvement) and start learning Chinese... or become a slave to my
Japanese decks (no offence to Anki addicts :) ).

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4108 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 39 of 144
14 October 2013 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
I haven't been very productive lately...
And I've changed my mind about my study methods. As for Chinese, instead of learning vocabulary from a
test (once again), I'm going to simply do more or less what I'm doing with Japanese. What I do now:
Around evening/night I look for some interesting native content, like Wikipedia articles for example. I read
through them with pop-up dictionaries, and whenever I find a new word which I consider useful, I add it to
Anki. In Japanese, I do EN->JP cards for words I want to be able to use actively, and JP->EN cards for
words I already know a synonym (like 因みに, because I already know ところで and ふと) or words I just
want to be able to read (like people's and places' names). For Chinese, I'm trying to make ZH->JP cards
whenever possible. I do so 'till adding 20 Chinese words and 12 Japanese words (I'll explain the numbers
later in the post).
Then, the next day, whenever I feel like it, I do an Anki session here and there, unless I don't have any
lessons that day, in which case I usually do them in fewer sittings. I'm trying to reduce the stress factor in
my learning to almost zero (some stress might have a positive effect...). So I try not to get angry at myself if
I miss a day, or do a bit less than I hoped to accomplish. It's better to learn a bit more slowly, than burn-out
and stop completely.
As for the numbers. If I study about these numbers of words almost every day, I should have a vocabulary
of ~5000 words in Chinese and ~8,900 words in Japanese (like my vocabulary in English). So maybe I
could be able to converse in four languages at the Polyglot Gathering in Berlin next year (four languages is a
polyglot, right? :) ).

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4108 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 

Message 40 of 144
13 November 2013 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
500 words. Recently I've gotten over my first milestone with Mandarin. It took me about a
month. Not terrible, I guess. Although could be better. I studied about four out of every five days,
that definitely could be improved. I think one of the reasons for missing 20% of the days could be
that I didn't have a set time to study, as I used to have a few months ago. In other words, it was
something like this: "Nah, not yet - still got some time. [Later] Crap, it's past midnight and I haven't
started yet.". So I set a few alarms, depending on when I have lessons in the particular day.
Hopefully this will help.
As for Japanese, yesterday I started working on my listening comprehension. Found a list of free
audio-books in on of this forum's user's log, started adding unknown vocabulary to Anki, and
listening to the audio while jogging. It sounds quite fast to me, even though I actually speak faster
myself, in English.

This discussion contains 144 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version