BrazilRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5861 days ago

61 posts - 92 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 1 of 14
30 December 2012 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
Hi,

I'm going to take part of TAC 2013 in the Asia team. I have been learning chinese for
some years ago, but just started taking it seriously about 1 year ago. I think I have a
not so bad level in reading and writing, so my objective for this TAC is in
speaking/listening.

Hope we'll have fun :)

Edited by maurelio1234 on 30 December 2012 at 8:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 2 of 14
30 December 2012 at 8:19pm | IP Logged 
Hey Maurelio, nothing against nostalgia, but you may want to rename your log into "TAC 2013" ;) You can do that by editing your first post. Good luck with your studies!

maurelio1234
Triglot
Groupie
Joined 5861 days ago

61 posts - 92 votes 

Message 3 of 14
30 December 2012 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
Hey Maurelio, nothing against nostalgia, but you may want to rename
your log into "TAC 2013" ;) You can do that by editing your first post. Good luck with
your studies!

Sure! Just did it! ;) thanks

maurelio1234
Triglot
Groupie
Joined 5861 days ago

61 posts - 92 votes 

Message 4 of 14
02 January 2013 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
Hi, Happy New year! 新年快乐!

Well, that's my first post :) I'm going to try to do at least one every week.
My goal at this moment is basically gaining vocabulary and improving my speaking
skills.
That's my current strategy:

Vocabulary:

• Reading a Book during my commute time (3h/day). I'm reading 劍鬼蠱師 (上) by 衣落成火
    (兄弟). I don't think it is very good, but I already started it, so I'll try to finish
    it :P The only problem is that it seems to be much more complicated than the books I
    read before, so today it was the third time I restarted it from the beginning :(

• Increasing my browsing time spent in chinese sites. I installed a Chrome plugin
    that tracks the time I spend in each site, I'm just trying to make sure that the
    chinese ones are on the top of the list every day.

Speaking:

For now I'm working with Livemocha, I'm trying to work hard to keep my average grade on
the speaking exercises at 4/5. For now it's working (my last week average was 3,5/5)
but it takes a lot of time!

maurelio1234
Triglot
Groupie
Joined 5861 days ago

61 posts - 92 votes 

Message 5 of 14
09 January 2013 at 7:13am | IP Logged 
Hi,

Let's do my weekly update :-)

Last week I sent two livemocha written and spoken tests. I got an average grading of 4/5. My main writing problem is the vocabulary and grammar (using wrong words at the wrong place :-P ) and the main spoken problem is the tone. There's just one solution for both problems: training more more and more. Additionally, I also read 15 Apple daily news, I think I'm fairly comfortable with their news, although it's true that reading texts in some categories (e.g. gossip and technology) is easier than in others (e.g. politics).

This week I think I have a more passive mood, so I'm doing more reading and listening exercises, up to now it's been 5 news a day and at least 20min of video a day. I have noticed too that I'm more and more comfortable with reading Chinese subtitles while people are talking.

As a side project I still need to prepare my presentation for for the challenge of the month, but I'm having less time to write this week.

Regards,

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4649 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 6 of 14
09 January 2013 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
Looks like it's going well!

Regarding reading, with Korean I started to think of reading as many separate skills for different texts with different topics. If I want to I can learn to understand more of a certain news section or other type of reading material in a fairly short time, but the overall reading skill of knowing not so frequent words seems to take a lot of work on all different types of text.

maurelio1234
Triglot
Groupie
Joined 5861 days ago

61 posts - 92 votes 

Message 7 of 14
10 January 2013 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
Looks like it's going well!

Regarding reading, with Korean I started to think of reading as many separate skills
for different texts with different topics. If I want to I can learn to understand more
of a certain news section or other type of reading material in a fairly short time, but
the overall reading skill of knowing not so frequent words seems to take a lot of work
on all different types of text.

I don't know if it happens in Korean, but I noticed that a big problem for me is that
different authors have different "styles", i.e. they use different words and
expressions to say the same thing... when I'm reading a book it is very frustating to
see that struggle through the first chapters then I can understand the next ones. The
problem is that it happens again and again... frustrating :(

maurelio1234
Triglot
Groupie
Joined 5861 days ago

61 posts - 92 votes 

Message 8 of 14
16 January 2013 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
So that's my weekly update:
I have been very busy these days, so I have been working on my low productivity mode :P
I just read something like 13-15 appledaily articles last week and I've been working on
the comprehension part of the FSI mandarin course. At the beginnning of the week I found
out that my current level is the transportation module, so I started it from scratch. Now
I started lesson 1 on monday, and this night I started lesson 5. Let's see what happens.

Bye!

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version