Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 17 of 73
31 January 2013 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
Sounds like you got a lot done! If you can keep it up or do even more for the rest of a year I'm sure you'll make some significant progress in all your languages.

Edited by druckfehler on 31 January 2013 at 6:25pm

1 person has voted this message useful

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4314 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 18 of 73
01 February 2013 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
Seriously impressed that you can learn so many languages at one time! I would love to do Cantonese at the same
time as Mandarin but I just don't think i'd manage. Inspirational month, well done and keep it up!

OneEye
Diglot
Japan
Joined 6644 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 19 of 73
06 February 2013 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
Subscribing, and looking forward to seeing your progress. I have some of the same target languages as you this year, maybe we can compare notes.

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4472 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 20 of 73
06 February 2013 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
Wow, if you're looking at my "progress", then I suddenly have pressure. :(
I've read your log intro, and it's simply mind-blowing. I envy your courage to do all this. And you're going to receive a PM.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 21 of 73
06 February 2013 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
vermillon, don't you think about tackling several books from the same publishing house in a row the way you did with Assimil? What about a Langues pour Tous, a Méthode 90 or an Asiathèque experiment? (just to stay with French publishing houses, but you could also think of a Living Language/Spoken World experiment likewise).

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4472 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 22 of 73
06 February 2013 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
Yes! Actually, if you want, I'll give you my address and you can order the languages that you want, I'll gladly study them and report the results. :)

I've started learning English as a kid with Méthode 90 and can still recite full dialogues of it! As for the two others: I would not trust anything published by Pocket, especially since languages don't seem to be their speciality (in fact, nothing seems to be their speciality). Asiathèque seems to have great books, most of them being the textbooks used in INALCO, but they're really pricey (see beginning of my post) and French law prevent books from being sold at a cheaper price (except second hand), so it's difficult to get my hands on.

I'm already struggling to make any progress in my current languages... :(

OneEye
Diglot
Japan
Joined 6644 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 23 of 73
07 February 2013 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
Quote:
then I suddenly have pressure

I've found that pressure is the mother of progress. :)

Check your PM.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 24 of 73
07 February 2013 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:
Yes! Actually, if you want, I'll give you my address and you can order the languages that you want, I'll gladly study them and report the results. :)

I've started learning English as a kid with Méthode 90 and can still recite full dialogues of it! As for the two others: I would not trust anything published by Pocket, especially since languages don't seem to be their speciality (in fact, nothing seems to be their speciality). Asiathèque seems to have great books, most of them being the textbooks used in INALCO, but they're really pricey (see beginning of my post) and French law prevent books from being sold at a cheaper price (except second hand), so it's difficult to get my hands on.

I'm already struggling to make any progress in my current languages... :(

Sorry if I sounded sarcastic, it wasn't my intention at all =D When I was in Paris, I got a few second-hand Méthode 90 (Russe) and Langues pour tous (Latin, Chinois), apart from the ones I already have, plus the brand new Manuel d'Estonien by L'Asiathèque, which I worship so much lol. Indeed Asiathèque is expensive, but I happen to have a few of them as well.

Méthode 90 Chinois was my second textbook right after Assimil and I like it way better than the latter. Its 90 lessons would account for 6 tomes of the current Assimil. I'm even considering going through it again once I finish Colloquial Chinese 2. As for the Russian one, it's too grammatical and not that inspiring. The Arabic one does look pretty good, though.

So, if there were methode 90's or asiathèque for all of my target languages, I wouldn't refuse doing such an experiment myself, but that's far from being the case, as I am studying Chinese, Russian, Georgian and Norwegian and I'm already at A2 for those.

This discussion contains 73 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version