Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6027 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 1 of 21
31 December 2012 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
I'm Jonas, born in 1965 and living outside Stockholm in Sweden, where I work at the county archives. I'm not a
particularly talented language learner, nor have I grown up in a multi-language environment, but for some reason
I'm really fascinated by foreign languages and it's one of my greatest interests. Partly it's the technical, linguistic
aspect that intrigues me; how languages are constructed from a logical (or for that matter not so logical) point of
view. But it's also the cultural aspect in its broadest sense (history, literature, society and so on) which makes it so
exciting to study a foreign language. And all the languages on my list (Russian, Greek, German, French, Italian,
English) are certainly associated with immense cultural riches.

This is my TAC log for 2013, where I will make regular notes of my progress. For the first time I participate on two
teams: Mir for Russian and Sparta for Greek. I'm also happy to see that there are many members on those teams
who share my other languages, so I'm sure we'll have a great year together! I guess that for listening and reading I'm
an A2 in Russian and in the upper bound of B1 for Italian and French.

My goals for 2013 are simple enough. Working my way through Assimil for Greek, reading 5000 pages (around 2
million words) and watching/listening to films/TV/radio/podcasts/audiobooks for 75 hours in Russian, Italian and
French. In other words I'm doing three Half Super Challenges.

Other than that I have no set goals and plans. And apart from Assimil I have a lot of other resources, which I will
refer to whenever I use them.

Let's go then, shall we?

//aloysius
1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4145 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 2 of 21
31 December 2012 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
Good luck, καλή τύχη!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5121 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 21
31 December 2012 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
Let's go indeed! I am so happy to be on both teams with you, and I think this small team is ideal in that we all have several languages, most of them the same, and we are all really passionate about languages, and don't mind comparing them.

So let us plead to the Greek gods that they help us on the way, and loosen out tongues for Greek speech even without the help of any substances :-)

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5553 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 4 of 21
01 January 2013 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
Привет, aloysius

I wish you the best of luck with the Challenge this year and I am really looking forward to working with you on both Team MIR and Team Sparta. I am sure we'll make loads of progress together on both teams. Be sure to ask any questions you like about Russian, and if you ask them openly on your log I'll pick them up reasonably quickly.

Больших успехов!

Jack

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 5 of 21
01 January 2013 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
Gott nytt år!

Jag vet inte hur bra jag klarar med svenska idag, men jag ska försöka ändå: Lycka till
med ryska! Du är en mycket erfaren människa som förmodligen inte behöver stor hjälp, men
det är alltid bra att höra från andra medlemmar! Vilka resurser använder du då för ryska?
I almänhet, förstås.

M. Medialis
Diglot
TAC 2010 Winner
Sweden
Joined 6144 days ago

397 posts - 508 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Russian, Japanese, French

Message 6 of 21
01 January 2013 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
Good to start a new year with you again aloysius. :) Surfing through 2 million words sounds like a wonderful and inspiring goal! You have a nice combination of languages - and I have to confess that I'm a bit jealous of everyone who is studying Greek (I can never resist a cool-looking writing system). Skål kosmonaut!

riff
United States
Joined 5081 days ago

32 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 7 of 21
01 January 2013 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
Привет aloysius! Wow, 2 million words is quite the challenge. I look forward to following
your progress in Russian. Just out of curiosity, what will you be reading in Russian to
reach 2 million? Are you going for the big guns (Tolstoy, etc), or something more
contemporary? Good luck :)

Silbermond
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
xuexisprachen.wordprRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4143 days ago

64 posts - 79 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 8 of 21
01 January 2013 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
Hello, aloysius! Wow, your goals are impressive - I hope you reach them all, especially
the reading 5000 pages. I'm not sure I even manage that many in my native language every
year!

How are you finding Assimil for Greek? I have to confess to getting bored of it after a
while so one of my goals is to push through and use it anyway.

But regardless, good luck in your goals for this year! I look forward to working with you
as part of Team Mir :)

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version